Thread: CCI Primers for 223 Reload

CCI Primers for 223 Reload

I have been using the CCI #41 primer and H335 to load my .223 for an AR. The price of the CCI #41 is over $6 per thousand higher than the CCI Small Rifle Magnum. I read some people say you should use the #41 because of the harder cup. Has anyone using the non CCI #41 had any issues/slam fires when just target shooting or doing some plinking? Thanks for sharing your experiences.

I've shot a couple of thousand WSR's and never had a slam fire . have seen it happen though, so once I use up the WSR's I've got I'm switching to CCI #41's exclusively for my AR's. YMMV.

Regards,
    Dave

I use CCI 400 primers for all my .223 loads, all of which are shot in my AR, and I've never had any misfires, slamfires or any other types of OOB fires.

Edit: CCI 200 primers are the large rifle primers. I meant 400, which are the small primers.
    Last edited by Mr White; March 21st, 2009 at 09:35 PM.
    “As long as we allow an individual right to trump public safety, families are going to lose their loved ones…"
    - Kristin Comer, Executive Director, Washington CeaseFire

SR primers are all I have used & ZERO problems
    NRA Member
    RMEF Life Member
    Location - Mt. WhereinthehellamI? Utah

CCI 'milspec' primers are a marketing gimmick for magnum primers. They're the same as any other magnum primer. Millions of rounds of .223 got loaded for AR's, Mini-14's, FNC's, et al, long before CCI 'milspec' primers came along.
    Mind you, you don't need magnum primers for the .223. Magnum primers are about the powder used, not the cartridge. They burn a bit hotter for a bit longer than regular primers. They're made to light hard to ignite powders and cold weather shooting. If your manual doesn't say to use 'em for a particular powder, you don't need 'em.
    Slamfires are caused by improperly loaded ammo, usually primers seated too high, not the cartridge or the rifle.

I might add that pretty much all slam-fires I have read about involved chambering a single round from bolt lock. This allows the bolt to chamber at a higher velocity than when needing to overcome the resistance of the magazine follower spring and rounds.

I have fired many, many AR's with all different brands of primers and never had an incident (knocks on wood). As Sunray said, avoid high primers by keeping the pockets clean and seating them to the proper depth. You should be fine.

I shoot a lot of high power competitions with my AR and a Garand. These both involve loading single rounds, and particularly with the AR, involve dropping a round into the chamber and releasing the bolt lock. Even with this, I've never had a slam fire.

I clean very primer pocket and check every primer I seat for correct depth.
    “As long as we allow an individual right to trump public safety, families are going to lose their loved ones…"
    - Kristin Comer, Executive Director, Washington CeaseFire

When I loaded .223, I started with the "milspec" primers, and when they disappeared off the shelves, I switched to WSR. Rifle is long gone, and now I have 600 WSR primers left over I can't even give away...
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

http://czforumsite.info/

CCI 400 primers
    All I've ever used in match and plinking rounds. Thousands loaded with zero problems.

now I have 600 WSR primers left over I can't even give away...
    You could if you lived closer to me!
    Proud member of the NRA and Texas State Rifle Association. Registered and active voter.

Armored Man -

Armored man -

Where in AZ are you? I'll come pick up the WSR's (I'll even trade you for brass or cash) What do you need? email me...

Danno
    sandcastlescrolls@msn.com

I've looked for the CCI "milspec" primers locally but couldn't find them for my AR or M1. That said, I've never had a slam fire with either using standard primers. As Mr White says clean every primer pocket and ALWAYS seat all your primers below flush. A swipe across the head of the case with your finger should let you know if the primers are seated deeply enough.

I also ream the primer pockets of all my AR brass to make sure that the pockets are deep enough. A pain in the tail, but better than a possible slam fire. At my age I don't need any extra excitement.

Danno, e-mail sent, c'mon down.
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

http://czforumsite.info/

How many millions of rounds of commercial factory .223 ammo made without mil-spec primers is being shot up every day, month year in ARs?
    I've not heard a word about the plague of slamfires that should be causing...
    Wonder why?
    "There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men." — Robert A. Heinlein, "Starship Troopers" (1959)

How many of those million rounds of .223 ammo fired in AR's do you figure are single loaded? Personally I think the only time you need to worry about a slam-fire is single loading and releasing the bolt to chamber the round. I think loading out of the magazine slows things down enough to not be too much of an issue.

(That being said I'm still changing over to 41's for service rifle loads, YMMV)

Regards,
    Dave

I might add that pretty much all slam-fires I have read about involved chambering a single round from bolt lock. This allows the bolt to chamber at a higher velocity than when needing to overcome the resistance of the magazine follower spring and rounds.
    The Army did a study on this a while back as there were reports of slam fires when chambering rounds. What was found is that it did occasionally occur when rechambering the same round repeatedly. Troops wound clear their weapons when entering the cantonment area, and load the ejected round back into the magazine. That same round would be rechambered multiple times.

The solution was to rotate rounds in the magazine.

Like others here I’ve been loading standard primers for years and have never had a slam fire yet.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus

Never had a problem with CCI 400 with my AR.

CCI 400 primers
    Never a problem after thousands of rounds. I do use the #34 for 06 and 7.62 loads. Just habit.

I shoot a lot of high power competitions with my AR and a Garand. These both involve loading single rounds
    I use a sled in a 20 round magazine body in the AR. Just easier to load. But for the M1, I drop them in. On the M1A, you need a magazine inserted so I just load one round into the magazine from the top. No a big deal.

I've been using WSR in my Kel-tek with no problems.

I have noticed lately though the 30-06 mil surplus ammo from CMP does seem to have a hard primer. Shoots fine in the Garand, but my son's Ruger bolt action failed to hit a couple of primers hard enough for ignition.
    The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed -- and hence clamorous to be led to safety -- by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. -H.L. Mencken, writer, editor, and critic (1880-1956)

Ruger iterated a bit on the spring weight in their bolt guns. I had problems with mil-spec primed ammunition and my 77MKII in .308 until I went with Wolff Gunsprings. I believe the current production springs offered by Ruger are now heavy enough for reliable ignition of mil-spec primers.

Replacing the spring is loads of laughs - I'm glad I grabbed the tool that was offered by Sinclair International for a while.

I've used tens of thousands of CCI 400 primers with no problems, and almost all of them were fired in autoloaders...

Forrest