Thread: Beretta Tomcat (3032)

Beretta Tomcat (3032)

I couldn't find a Bretta Tomcat thread and figured I wouldn't be beaten too badly about the head and shoulders if I started one, since I'm a newbe.

My wife wanted something smaller, lighter and more cancelable than her BDA 380 (double stack magazine, 13+1 capacity) and bought a Beretta 3230 with factory installed Lasergrips, but it didn't work out too well because she's a southpaw and it had a bad habit of dropping the ejected cases on her head. Guess who ended up with the Tomcat?

I know that many believe a 32acp lacks the oomph for a defensive round, but others share my opinion that shot placement counts as much, if not more, than size, weight and speed; And the holes tended to appeared in the paper where I wanted them to, so the Tomcat was a keeper. Unfortunately, the little guy didn't share the same opinion.

A spring broke after a couple hundred rounds, which is common enough problem for the local gunshop to keep in stock and replace without charge. Another hundred or so rounds and another spring, but this time one of the recoil spring assemblies got bumped as he was putting it back together and went into orbit. He ended up transferring the Lasergrips to another 3230 he had in stock and sending the original back to Beretta.

The second one shot just as well as the first, but with less than two hundred rounds through it, a small chunk of what looked like potmetal appeared on the shooting bench and I was holding a single action only pistol in my hand. It was sent back to Bretta with the Lasergrips installed.

Last Friday, (Four months later) I picked up the stainless steel replacement, sans Lasergrips. which won't fit the Inox Tomcats due to the thicker frame. It was too late to get ahold of Bretta to discuss this slight oversight, but it was warm enough Saturday to take my new pocket pistol out to the range and chilly enough to have the whole range to myself for most of the afternoon.

Wanting to find out if the new one was as fragile as its two predecessor, I put a box each of Aguila, Blazer, Fiocchi, Prvi Partizan, Winchester and Sellier & Bellot FMJs through it, plus a box of Hornady JHP/XTPs without a single failure to feed, misfire or jam. The S&B's are a bit hot, so I never used them in the potmetal tomcats, but the Inox version didn't get any indigestion from the overly rich diet. I bought them because the price was right and didn't realize their muzzle energy exceeded Beretta's recommendations by such a wide margin until I got around to looking up their specs. (I guess I'll have to pick up an old Walther to use up the rest of them. )

Anyway, the Inox Tomcat is more of a keeper than the original. The wider frame fits in my oversized paws better and it is definitely a Point 'n Shoot for me rather than an Aim and Fire.

BTW - My wife finally decided to completely eliminate the flying brass issue and got a 2" Rossi in 38 Spl. And yes, I did point out it is roughly the same size and weight as her BDA, and holds 9 fewer rounds, but I did so with due care and caution since she can write her initials with it at 7 yards.

K

others share my opinion that shot placement counts as much, if not more, than size, weight and speed
    True, that.

Opinions on the .32 acp are kind of like opinions on Taurus firearms, there are nightmare stories and then there are stories of people that have carried them their whole lives. If you're a good shot under fire, I don't really see a problem with it.
    “When you understand the nature of a thing, you know what it is capable of.”
    -Miyamoto Musashi

"Some of the worst things imaginable have been done with the best intentions."

Think about this... do you want to be trying a "duck and cover" shot with your Beretta... if so, practice it.

While I own a lot of guns, I don't own a single .32 caliber pistol. I've been shooting over 40 years, and I've never found one that I couldn't find a better caliber for self defense. Don't get me wrong... I shoot anything if it goes bang... but I don't carry just anything for self defense.

.32's are notorious for "not getting the job done" in self defense situations, and fall into what I call the "belly gun" category... where you punch the BG in the belly with the gun and shoot it.

I've heard stories all my life about people being shot with .32's and not even realizing they had been shot... or shots not penetrating their clothes if they were wearing heavy winter outfits... things that put out "bad vibes" for self defense selections. There are too many guns out there that are the size of a Bobcat that carry a better round, such as a .380. Some of the newer guns even carry 9mm and are within reasonable size of the Bobcat.

I've got a .22LR Bobcat that I sometimes carry as a backup, but never as my primary self defense weapon. You carry what you want... but I wouldn't be caught dead with a .32 as my primary... because I might be.

WT
    "What man is a man that does not make the world a better place?"... from "Kingdom of Heaven"
    True patriots feel that there is no problem in our Republic that cannot be solved by election, windage and elevation, or superior firepower.

The Tomcat is infamous for being the first firearm for which Beretta wouldn't give a full warranty. They said it had a "life" of--what was it?--2000 rounds, and then the frame would crack.

Got so much flack, they eventually rescinded the policy. Not sure that anyone would ever want to put that many rounds through a .32, anyway.

glad I read this thread - was looking for a pocket carry, my model 60 is pulling down my pants.

Considering a Rohrbaugh in 9mm but pricey.

Seen these little guys with the laser grips, very attractive package.

Sounds like it is a toy though.

I have a Tomcat 3032 in my pocket right now. The Inox ones have a better rep than the blued ones. The .32 isn't a manstopper- neither is any of the other rounds for which guns of similar size are chambered. It's the difference between the mouse gun you have with you and the hand cannon left in the drawer. It's better than nothing, and will shoot accurately if you do your part.

Yeah, I prefer my 642 over the Tomcat, and my 1911 over both of them put together, but there's times when the Tomcat is all that will hide well.
    The family that shoots together, has interlocking fields of fire.

Well lets see I just checked and in ball ammo in 32 out of a kel Tec of the 9 different brands tested 13.6" was the lowest in jell with most in 14" and 2 at 15" it clocked from 751fps to 947 again depending on the brand So the 32acp meets the FBI min. and I sure take a whole lot of winter clothing to stop the little ball. I heard stories and real life stories are to different things .Dillinger and others carried 32acp in the gangster days Bet they didn't feel underarmed , 32acp started WWI and ended WWII
    Never under estamite any caliber They all have killed many people over the years. Like 25 auto never met any one that wants to be shot with one If their both so weak should be no problem Just wear a winter coat.
    Colt LTW Commander, Colt Defender, , Colt Mustang DW bobtail,1973 S&W Mod 49 ,PPK/S,Bersa 380

You must learn to be.....Slow in a Hurry Wyatt Earp 1849-1929

Granted, heavier clothing worn in colder weather tends to absorb more of the projectile’s terminal energy, clog a hollow point and mitigating expansion, but following that train of thought a step further, wouldn’t the GG be dressed in heavier clothing as well as the BG? Thereby allowing the GG to conceal a more potent weapon. I stand a few inches North of six feet and weigh a few pounds South of 300, so in cooler weather, I can hide just about anything that doesn’t make me walk lop-sided. However, for about half the year, I don’t wear clothing that allows me to hide much more than a mousegun, nor am I very likely to encounter a BG in a parka.

To keep me from tipping over in the wind, I was blessed with size 16 feet, and have hands to match. I’ve test fired a few of the sub-compacts, but I’ve got more hand than they’ve got handle and with most of them I’m lucky to get all rounds within two feet of each other at ten feet. Felt recoil is fairly stout on some, but I believe the problem is that they wiggle around in my one and a half finger grip. For some reason, the blued Tomcats with Lasergrips and the Inox Tomcat without, seem to rest more securely in my oversized paws and don't wiggle around nearly as much.

K