View Poll Results: One Year Mandatory Firearms/Military Training Should Be Required At Age 18

Voters
137. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes,This is long overdue

14 10.22%
  • Yes,But it should be for 2 years

14 10.22%
  • No,This is not necessary

100 72.99%
  • Undecided,I'm thinking it over

9 6.57%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Poll:One Year Mandatory Firearms/Military Training Should Be Required At Age 18

Poll:One Year Mandatory Firearms/Military Training Should Be Required At Age 18

Many European and South American nations have mandatory military training usually beginning in the late teens.(18 or 19)
    Austria,Columbia,Denmark,Finland,Germany,Norway,Russia,Sweden,Switzerland and in the Mid-East, Israel are among them.Most
    seem to require 12 or 13 months of training.
    This was discussed on cable last week on I believe Glenn Beck on Fox.
    It was Happy Hour so I'm not positive.Anyway it made me wonder how forum members might view the issue.
    Criteria:American citizens,able bodied,of sound mind and character,includes men and women.
    All comments and critiques will be appreciated.

Training to exercize a god-given right and our freedom?

I think not.

No, because one of the intents of the 2nd amendment was as a counterbalance to the power of the government. To make mandatory firearms/military training through the government would be a very effective means to negate the 2nd amendment.

Plus with some of the idiots I knew, I'd rather they'd not train anybody for anything more lethal than a stapler.

No, I'm afraid I've never been a fan of slavery.
    "It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire
    "Well, the Constitution has not yet been pregnant." - Gore Vidal
    "Freedom is terrifying to dependent personalities and their masters." - Standing Wolf

I view mandatory national service with a wary eye. We have had a number of commanders in chief with little or no experience of this nature themselves and they have wasted many promising American lives. I would hate to have my children used as cannon fodder.

Firearms training should be something taught in civics classes; first we would need to bring back such classes.

Nope. Should be voluntary as it was when the Founding Fathers created this country. Were we in the sixties, I would burn my draft card because I am not a slave to anyone. I am free born and will continue to be a free man for the rest of my days.

I am against mandatory military service. Speaking as a vet myself, I have seen many folks go into the military and do exceedingly well, others are so ill suited for it that they get processed out, even after boot camp. Requiring it would make that percentage much, much higher.

Also, there is a reason our military is as good as it is. Its ranks are filled with folks who, for one reason or another, want to be there. Conscripts seldom rise to the level of professional and volunteer soldiers and sailors.

Firearms training is best done well before adulthood (assuming legal age of 18, although I remember how "adult" I was at 18).
    I wish I believed in reincarnation. Where's Charles "The Hammer" Martel when you need him?

www.bagpipeforum.com
    yes, I play the bagpipes. No, I don't wear a skirt. It's called a kilt.

Some of the smartest people I've known were "dumb hillbillies".

its kidna hard to decide i vote yes coming from a military family that everyone should be trained to protect their nation from danger but this takes away a right of ours to make the decision whether or not to risk your life for your nation

i dont think i would take it as far as switzerland but i would probably say we should train everyone able to protect their nation to be proficient with a firearm wishful thinking maybe
    "It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." --Sam Adams
    PAUL-NUGENT 2012
    USAF april 19th 2011-_____

I've never been a fan of slavery
    Well, I've never been a fan of taxes, but reality is reality. The government makes me do all types of stuff--like wait in line at the Registry of Motor Vehicles (talk about slavery!).

I think this would be a GREAT idea, but only if:

1) Everyone does it--if you're a senator's kid or a billionaire's kid: GET YOUR FACE IN THE MUD AND GIVE ME 20!

2) None of this bull-pucky about substituting "community service"--we want you to fire a rifle, girl!

3) Handicapped? Got a doctor's note? Tough! We make all sorts of accommodations for the disabled these days. I want to see wheelchairs at the firing line! I want to see blind folks there (with spotters, of course--if we can accommodate blind hunters, we can get blind shooters to the firing line).

4) We must make accommodation for conscientious objectors (those who for their own moral reasons would rather die than kill): they can run the targets, reload the clips, get trained in gun maintenance. But they don't get out of service, or even out of firearm-related service. And COs don't EVER qualify for for a CCW, rest of their lives.

One of the things that (perhaps) stinks about the current US is the balkanization: almost NONE of us has a common experience anymore, a common bond that makes us feel like a country. And, almost all of us--not on this board--feel that, if we pay (close to) our fair share of taxes, well, that's the only duty I owe this country.

And with the number of people who don't pay taxes set to rise HUGELY because of the Obama philosophy, and the number of people who make their living from tax dollars--from hospitals taking Medicare, to gov't employees, to direct welfare--always rising, well, it would be nice to have some "universal tax"--in the form of service--that touches all citizens with a duty they must fulfill. And it might also end up being a way of sorting illegals from legals--that's important to some.

That it would introduce all citizens to a modicum of discipline (for some, the first they've ever known) and firearms knowledge would, to me, be huge bonuses.

For those of you worried about "cannon-fodder," universal service (including congressmen's sons and daughters) might be a nice check on foreign adventurism. But I do understand the problem with using time-limited, "non-professional" troops in actual combat (and other concerns, nicely encapsulated by 1911 guy.)

I'd rather see it modeled along that in Starship Troopers, the book, not the dumb arsed movie. To be able to vote, one must provide 2 years of service. That might be the military, it might be something else; government's choice.

That won't fly so I submit that in order to vote, one must qualify as a Marksman at a minimum with a bolt or battle rifle in 7.62 caliber.

Why not just have firearms training for a couple of semesters in high school gym class?

No draftees. LOM in the extreme, and our military and it's weapons/tactics are much more complex than when we last had compulsary service. I didn't serve during Vietnam, but was told by quite a number of Officers and NCO's that they didn't want anything to do with another draftee.

JMO...

Jeff B.
    "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits"
    Plutarch

Blue River Wisconsin, in a little hut in the woods
    I didn't vote but I think everybody should want to and if they are able should be allowed to. I have no problems with wheel chair or otherwise handicapped people serving in a support or tech job, they should be able to wear the uniform if they really want to.

I have a huge problem with otherwise capable people castigating those who want and do serve. A symptom of a society that has things handed to them without having to struggle for it and now they think they are entitled and service is something that is done for them, not something they would do for anybody else.

As far as the draftee vs volunteer goes for the most part my experience is the bitching may be a little more heartfelt but the job done was as good by the draftee's I served with as the volunteers. I have had volunteers I worked with and who worked for me that I seriously wanted to strangle and about the same number of draftee's. Fortunately they were in the minority of the group and were never a serious problem.

Admitted this was during Nam and we were fighting a war where the troops had to support each other but it was also back when we grew up learning patriotism in grade school. We could say a prayer in public without breaking any laws and everybody that I knew stood up in the morning with hand over heart and pledged allegiance to the flag. We are different now and I don't think the change was for the good.
    1934 National Firearms Act, 1968 The Gun Control Act, 1986 Firearms Owners Protection Act, 1993 Brady Handguns Violence Act, 1994 Assault Weapons Ban, 1995 Gun Free School Zones Act, NO MORE COMPROMISING

I am a Warrant Officer in the Army. I have a hard enough time with the new kids who choose to join our forces, they are a whole new generation of Americans who believe they are entitled to everything. I would not want to serve and lead this same kind of kid if he were forced to join and didn't want to be here. We would severely degrade the quality of our Armed Forces.

I wonder if I am the only one horrified at the suggestion that we should limit constitutional rights for folks who don't want to join the army and shoot at people.

On the surface a "Universal Service" sound okay, but all my NCOs who served with draftees hated what it did to they Army during the 60s and 70s. People who don't want to be there will only do enough to get by and many times not even that. One popular saying from Chapter cases was "What are you going to do? Kick me out."

Starship troopers was a great book, but if you read the book you got the idea of a great social upheaval before the veterans took control and instituted the "Service=Enfranchisement". That just wouldn't work today if ever with the sence of entitlement American children have.

Also the founding fathers didn't give the vote to only veterans of the Revolutionary War. They understood that all Americans needed a voice in the goverment, not just those who would serve under arms.

The FF gave to vote to very few. Popular vote evolved over time and the Supreme's mandating one man, one vote and killing poll tax laws.

As to draftees, some were real scum bags and others good troopers. We tend to remember the bad s*** more than the good.

Do you realize how large our Army would have to be to absob that many new recruits each year?

Do you have any idea what it would cost to feed, house, clothe, equip and train that many people.

And what would we get for it? Certainly not a better Army -- the draftees wouldn't serve long enough to make training them worthwhile, and at the same time it would take officers and NCOs away from their real jobs in units.

Not just not necessary - not a good idea at all. Do you like being free? I do. And this idea would make me less free. Thus, I consider it a very, very bad idea.

Had my eyes been better I would have gone into the military and learned to fly. I ended up having to do something else. Either way, though, I got to choose. I want that same choice for my kids, grandkids, etc.

Why not just have firearms training for a couple of semesters in high school gym class?
    A one-year draft is an awful idea.
    Incentivizing enlistment more might work.
    A mandatory firearms safety course in high school is a great idea.
    Get that, and start offering a practical, like driver's education.
    DON'T PANIC

I think America is in desperate need of some sort of homogenizing experience for our citizens - especially as they transition from kids to adults. There are too many people profiting from exploiting the diversity in this country by encouraging segregation - not government mandated, but segregation all the same.

I've seen people from all across the demographic spectrum learn to work together and find common ground in the Army. I like the idea that there is a compulsory service period after high school, but I don't like limiting it to military service. I think there would be a benefit to society (and the individuals) if we used these kids as federal and state interns to do everything from dig ditches or change bedpans to administrative jobs.

It would give everyone a common experience - "where'd you do your 2 years?" - that our kids could actually use to build upon.

Service to country

I agree that not everyone is cut out for military service but many who do not think they are-blossom once in that environment.
    I found it shameful that so many thought it forced slavery when I was in (by choice) in the early '70s. I still find it shameful today. IMHO all need to serve in some way and experience giving back to your country. Should it be mandatory for voting rights? No I don't think so but two years is not too much to ask for a voluntary service.
    Be SAFE or be GONE! Pass it on.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
    Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
    One died for your soul;
    the other for your freedom." Unknown

I voted No...

Not sure what is the best thing at this date and time

Regards

Orlando - Y'all keep coming down on vacation and paying my taxes!
    I am a Warrant Officer in the Army. I have a hard enough time with the new kids who choose to join our forces, they are a whole new generation of Americans who believe they are entitled to everything. I would not want to serve and lead this same kind of kid if he were forced to join and didn't want to be here. We would severely degrade the quality of our Armed Forces.
    My sentiments too Warrant.

My plate was full enough training up and dealing with the day-to-day problems of 110 sailors in my last command. And they all wanted to be there!
    PRC (AW) USN (Ret) 1973 - 1995
    "I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic"; The oath I took doesn't have an expiration date.

I asked ANY Moderators 12 hours ago why this poll was switched from GGD to Ethics of Liberty,where ,with our small viewing audience it will quickly be buried,.
    No answer yet.Pitiful.
    Respectfully,
    JD.

"Do you believe in miracles?"

Al Micheals,February 22,1980 USA victory over USSR in Hockey Olympic semi-final.
    Glorious!

+ Reply to Thread