View Poll Results: What is most important to you?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Family

35 57.38%
  • Ideology

2 3.28%
  • Individual

10 16.39%
  • Nation

0 0%
  • Other (explain)

3 4.92%
  • Race

0 0%
  • Religion

11 18.03%
  • Tribe (ancestral nation, etc.)

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is most important?

What is most important?

What is most important to you and why? Choices are alphabetical.

Other: only clicking Submit once.
    "It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire
    "Well, the Constitution has not yet been pregnant." - Gore Vidal
    "Freedom is terrifying to dependent personalities and their masters." - Standing Wolf

Duh

A strange question. Values aren't detached, they're part of a hierarchy. For example, how could one value one's family as a mindless, non-individual drone?

Of what use is a nation if it serves only to shackle you for the benefit of others?

i will go with.....maslow's hierarchy

Easy.Family,then ideology.
    But it's close!

Family before anything else
    "Today, my friends, we each have one day less, every one of us. And joy is the only thing that slows the clock." -John D McDonald via Travis McGee

A little too complex for a one-choice poll.

However, after thinking a little, I voted for religion. Allow me to explain.

My religion (doesn't matter to this discussion what flavor it is) teaches me to value my family, informs my ideology, teaches loyalty to friends and nation, even expresses a value on the individual (me), etc. Pretty much everything on the list. All the options are important to me, but if forced to pick one (and I was due to the poll) that would be it.

After looking at the list again, there are two things not covered by my reasoning above. Race and Tribe. Race: Human. Welcome to the club. Tribe: Heinz. I got 57 varieties running through my veins.
    I wish I believed in reincarnation. Where's Charles "The Hammer" Martel when you need him?

www.bagpipeforum.com
    yes, I play the bagpipes. No, I don't wear a skirt. It's called a kilt.

Some of the smartest people I've known were "dumb hillbillies".

i will go with.....maslow's hierarchy
    Maslow, Maslow, Maslow! What about my needs?
    Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest. Denis Diderot

What about my needs?
    too funny
    Joe--pass go and directly to the top of the pyramid.

God, family & home - in that order.
    Deus et Domus
    Texas Secede!

"Once abolish the God, and the government becomes the God." -- G.K. Chesterton

Blue River Wisconsin, in a little hut in the woods
    I chose individual for the simple reason if you can't love and respect yourself first then you won't be able to selflessly sacrifice and work towards defending your family, your god, your nation, your neighborhood or your friends. No self respect means you don't care about anybody or anything and are only out for yourself.
    1934 National Firearms Act, 1968 The Gun Control Act, 1986 Firearms Owners Protection Act, 1993 Brady Handguns Violence Act, 1994 Assault Weapons Ban, 1995 Gun Free School Zones Act, NO MORE COMPROMISING

I voted ideology because my ideology involves most of the other choices (not race or tribe)
    No Choice No Chance. Support Campus CCW.

I think people are entitled to beliefs that are not completely illogical. Want to believe the sky is plaid? Too bad, facts are against you. People don't get to believe in anything willy nilly and expect to be able to hide behind defenses of "it is my belief" or "it is my opinion." I don't have to agree with the logic and/or proof, but there has to be at least some of either.
    -MJRW

In protecting my family and do what is best for them, I do all the rest. I fight for freedom, for my family etc..
    Speedy, AKA: Hero Hog, Dr. Speed, "The Brass Mangler" and "That fat, old, balding, Grey-bearded gimpy guy" NRA Life Member, LSA, USN-DAV
    I don't have NEAR enough ammo!

Religion is more important than family? See you at the jihad.
    No matter where you are in the world, no matter your race or religion, there is only one antidote to an armed bad guy and that is an armed good guy.

Tim Tucker
    http://www.tulsaworld.com/opinion/ar...A15_hGuns11047

Quote Originally Posted by Old Grump
    I chose individual for the simple reason if you can't love and respect yourself first then you won't be able to selflessly sacrifice and work towards defending your family, your god, your nation, your neighborhood or your friends. No self respect means you don't care about anybody or anything and are only out for yourself.
    Why would someone with self-respect sacrifice their selves? How is furthering the lives of those you love sacrifice? If you "don't care about anything", how is that looking after your own interests?

You seem to believe that the choice is between hedonism and self-sacrifice. What about rational self interest, doing what improves your life the most, along with those whom you value?

Good question. A hedonist wouldn't begin to think of sacrificing himself for others, that isn't the kind of self love I am talking about.

The person comfortable in their own skin is the person who will stop in the dark, in the rain and help a scruffy looking roughneck help change his tire in the dark and cold driving rain. A person who loves himself is happy to help the pastor when nobody else shows up, takes groceries out of their own pantry and gives up a few meals and anonymously donates it to a family in need. A person who has self respect will not listen to cries for help and sit there doing nothing, doesn't matter if its calling 911 or taking their coat off and jumping into the icy river to save a stranger.

Not something you think about its in you or it isn't. It isn't the company ass who dives on a grenade, its the nice guy who would have given you the shirt off his back if he thought you needed it. That man had self love, self respect and his self love encompassed everybody he ever met.

I hope that clarifies my thinking a little bit.
    1934 National Firearms Act, 1968 The Gun Control Act, 1986 Firearms Owners Protection Act, 1993 Brady Handguns Violence Act, 1994 Assault Weapons Ban, 1995 Gun Free School Zones Act, NO MORE COMPROMISING

So what you're saying is, to be moral one must give to others indiscriminately? It must not involve value judgements, i.e. giving only to those one deems deserving, or not at all?

Guns
    If you can blame guns for Crimes, then I can blame my Keyboard for misspelled words!!!

Religion is more important than family? See you at the jihad.
    Ha!
    That one was too funny!
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Religion first, then Family & Individual tied for second place (I can't care for my family if I don't care for myself - and I wouldn't care for myself more than I care for my family). All others are not so important to me.

Let me explain and illustrate:
    My relationship with, and my loyalty to God is the #1 priority in my life. my wife, my brother, my mother, my in-laws, and all my friends feel the exact same way. No human or human government can give me what my faith tells me that God can give me. If I put family, friends, money, work, belongings, etc. before God, I've just committed idolatry.

Just look at the account in Genesis regarding Abraham's willingness to offer up his only son as a sacrifice - and Issac's willingness to be offered (Abraham was very old; Issac was a grown man, and could have easily overpowered his father if he wanted to). Did they put family or God first? The outcome was positive for all involved.

My girl and my wife are my world and hopefully soon a new little son.
    Some day my children will have a lot of guns and that will bring a smile to my face.

deleted
    Last edited by Old Grump; April 8th, 2009 at 06:05 PM. Reason: typo

La Pistoletta:
    So what you're saying is, to be moral one must give to others indiscriminately? It must not involve value judgements, i.e. giving only to those one deems deserving, or not at all?
    The Golden Rule: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. So yes, you have summed it up nicely.

Clinging to my guns and religion, smalltown America
    In what? As part of my life, or who I will associate with, or what?

I guess that my religion makes me a better family man, so that's pretty important.

what you're saying is, to be moral one must give to others indiscriminately? It must not involve value judgements, i.e. giving only to those one deems deserving, or not at all?
    Define deserving. It's good to help anyone so long as it doesn't put you at risk or do some harm. (I'm not going to help a criminal flee, for instance)

Why would someone with self-respect sacrifice their selves? How is furthering the lives of those you love sacrifice?
    For instance, taking care of a family involves time and money. By spending it on your family, you are sacrificing them.
    You seem to believe that the choice is between hedonism and self-sacrifice.
    I could spend that money on myself or my family, with a few exceptions of course. (Everyone uses the car)
    What about rational self interest, doing what improves your life the most, along with those whom you value?
    Well, see you're still sacrificing for those who you value. Although you get more benifit out of it than if you had spend the money on yourself, it could still be considered self-sacrifice.
    The most dangerous north American land animal is the RINO

+ Reply to Thread