Thread: Understanding Connecticut Pistol Permit Process

Understanding Connecticut Pistol Permit Process

Iíve read the statutes on the CT website, but hopefully someone with experience here in CT could be of help:

If I have read correctly you do not need a permit to possess a handgun in your home, but is a permit required if you were to take one (non-concealed) to a store or range, or handle it outside your home? If so, which permit do you need?

Itís my understanding that you need a permit to purchase a handgun, but which permit (local or state) is necessary? What about if you were purchasing a handgun privately? Also, Iíve heard the town permits referred to as ďtemporary state permitsĒ. Does this mean you are required to get a state permit once you get a local one?

I know itís a lot of questions, but I appreciate your help.
    Thanks.

You need the "Permit to carry pistols or revolvers" to purchase a handgun in CT, whether it's a dealer or a private sale.
    They used to offer a purchase permit, where you could buy and keep it in the home, but that is discontinued.
    I believe you can buy in your town with the temporary permit (which is issued by your town police), but it makes more sense at that point to just go to meriden and get your 5 year state carry permit.
    Go to your town police department, tell them you want a pistol permit application. Complete the CT pistol permit class. Take the completed application, and proof of completion of the class back to the police department. Get fingerprinted. Pay several fees. Wait for your temporary permit. That can be from a few weeks to a few months depending on your town. They are required by law to have it back to you in 8 weeks, but I know people who have waited longer in New Haven. Once you have that, go to meriden with that, and pay another fee, show them your birth certificate and possibly some other documentation (it's all listed as the process goes along, I forget), and you'll have a 5 year carry permit. Go buy a handgun. It also allows you to buy long guns without having to wait 2 weeks, you can walk in, buy it, and walk out with it.

Hey Cuda71, welcome to the Constitution State. You may be interested in getting involved with the Connecticut Citizens Defense League (http://www.ccdl.us) where you can certainly get any questions you have answered.

LKB3rd's advice is spot on. My buddy just waited 12 months in New Britain for his town permit, and another friend waited 10. It will be a while. Once you have your town permit you go to the state and they photograph you and give you your 5 year state permit then and there.

You do not need a permit to have a gun in your home or shoot it at a range. You can transport it, locked, in a case in the back of your car. I assume you either had a pistol and moved to CT with it, or you have a friend who will lend you one?
    "[The 2nd Amendment's] free exercise is the antithesis of serfdom and the only meaningful form of holocaust insurance known to man." -- Gus Cotey, Jr.
    NRA, SAF, and JPFO Life Member. USCCA annual member.
    Public Relations Coordinator, Connecticut Citizens Defense League, Inc.

Thanks for the answers. Iíve actually been in the state awhile, but all my experience is with long guns and I knew nothing of the pistol process.

I know the state permit is good for five years, but you donít have to renew the town permit, do you?

Also, and please correct me if Iím wrong, I would need the permit to legally acquire a pistol (either from a dealer or a private sale) within the state?

Yes, you need the permit to buy a handgun legally, no matter who you get it from.
    Once you have your state permit, as long as you keep it up to date, you just have to renew that in Meriden every 5 years.

The town permit is just a control mechanism so that local LEO can define who they give permits to and who they don't (and what questions they ask). You have to have it to get your state permit the first time, but then you just renew your state permit from then on.
    "[The 2nd Amendment's] free exercise is the antithesis of serfdom and the only meaningful form of holocaust insurance known to man." -- Gus Cotey, Jr.

The "town" permit system is also discontinued. Going back a few years when I recieved my permit I got a temporary state pistol permit (expired in 30-60 days or so) and you could carry with it but not purchase. Once you had your temp you can go to bridgeport, meriden or wherever your local barracks are and obtain your actual permit.

Can't remember if the actual permit was for the town or the state, but I've had two friends go through the process in the last 6 months and the application process is still definitely controlled by local LEO. I even posted a thread about how ridiculous the application was in Norwalk, link here: http://www.thehighroad.us/showthread.php?p=5067835

I know it is ridiculous everywhere. You submit all your paperwork/fees etc, to the local leo, they send it off god knows where, you get an envelope back with your temporary STATE permit, go to a barracks and get your photo taken and get you permanant permit all in the same day (if the timing is right)

My g/f got hers through norwalk and from what she told me they were sexist dicks. gave her the "you actually passed the safety course"...

Hey Cuda71, welcome to the Constitution State.
    A pretty ironic nickname for a state that ignores it.
    "It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire
    "Well, the Constitution has not yet been pregnant." - Gore Vidal
    "Freedom is terrifying to dependent personalities and their masters." - Standing Wolf

Thanks again for all the replies.

A pretty ironic nickname for a state that ignores it.
    True, but it could be worse. I cringe every time I hear how much my friends in New York have to pay.

CT gun permit

I moved to CT almost 4 years ago now and I attended a NRA class for the certificate. Then I had my prints taken and almost four weeks from when I handed in all my documents I get this letter in the mail from the ??????? Police Department stating that I was DENIED due to a CHRC that was conducted on me. I knew I lived in a strange town I don't bother with anyone in this town but still work in NYC. I heard so many stories about how they RUN or at least try to RUN things here. The letter that I got was typed up with a date of April 14, 2009 on it but was post marked from the post office on the 13th of April, I don't know if they type up these denials and then just mail them out when they feel the time is rite.

The MORAL of this story is that I work for the United States Department of Homeland Security as a Inspector/Investigator for the past 7 years and have a SECRET CLERANCE and working on a TOP SECRET CLERANCE which I am sure the ??????? Officers don't even have. I feel like taking this further I am just waiting to hear back from the officer that typed up the letter on behalf of the Lt. to see what he has to say.

Has anyone out there encountered a situation like this? If there is anyone that has a legal background and would like to know more information regarding this please feel free to write back to me.

Thanks
    SAL

You will need to go before the board of firearms permit examiners. I believe you need to submit your request within 60 days. I am no expert on this part, however... I got my CT permit out of state which obviates all the nonsense. When I moved I just had to update my address with them. Just another case of citizens from another state having more rights than citizens of this one.

Gun Permit in CT

Re: Bennett Prescott post

I sent in those papers as well as called the police dept. to get a clear answer and all I got was that it wasn't me but the Lt. This was after I introduced who I am and what I do. I am waiting for the Mayor to call me on Monday and we will have a meeting to see what is going on in this town. Politics I doubt it very much. Discrimination I agree with 100% is what this town is all about. If I can go into details I would but I can't as to why there is more to this. I called everyone yesterday and I am going to shake more feathers next week. I am a firm believer what's rite is rite and stick to your GUNS....

I am not going to let some pencil pushing officer make a decision as the way this one did to me. Itís all about respect from one local agency to a federal agency and the same goes for any individual.

When I spoke with mayors office I introduced myself and what I do and told the secretary on the type of clearance that I have and if they would like I can come down now and show them my federal credentials. She then couldnít believe how this happened. Hartford appeal office asked me for a copy of the letter and envelope that it came in. I will get justice and I hope everyone out there gets the same.

Fight the fight, and make it a good one. Hopefully all will turn out well for you and this will be some sort of wake up call as to processing paperwork etc.

Anyone wanna join me at Blue Trails in Wallingford some time soon?
    I'm also up for Bridgeport Shooting Range.
    Member:
    NRA
    JPFO

You do not need a permit to have a gun in your home or shoot it at a range. You can transport it, locked, in a case in the back of your car.
    This is incorrect. There is NO provision in CT law to transport a pistol anywhere outside your own home (other than from the shop when buying, to the shop when selling, or to a gunsmith for repair) unless you have a permit to carry. Whether or not it's in a locked case, in the truck of the car and solidly swathed in concrete makes no difference, it's not legal. Some police officers might give you a free pass if it's in a locked case, but don't bet the ranch.

References are CT General Statutes 29-35 and 29-38. The trunk carry provision is in 29-38 and it applies ONLY TO BB GUNS.

Can't remember if the actual permit was for the town or the state, but I've had two friends go through the process in the last 6 months and the application process is still definitely controlled by local LEO.
    The difference is that the old system initially got you only a town permit, which was not valid outside the town you lived in. The current system still starts at the municipal level but the initial permit is a temporary state permit, and is valid in all parts of CT.

Quote Originally Posted by CGS 29-35
    Sec. 29-35. Carrying of pistol or revolver without permit prohibited. Exceptions. (a) No person shall carry any pistol or revolver upon his or her person, except when such person is within the dwelling house or place of business of such person, without a permit to carry the same issued as provided in section 29-28. The provisions of this subsection shall not apply to the carrying of any pistol or revolver by any parole officer or peace officer of this state, or parole officer or peace officer of any other state while engaged in the pursuit of official duties, or federal marshal or federal law enforcement agent, or to any member of the armed forces of the United States, as defined in section 27-103, or of this state, as defined in section 27-2, when on duty or going to or from duty, or to any member of any military organization when on parade or when going to or from any place of assembly, or to the transportation of pistols or revolvers as merchandise, or to any person transporting any pistol or revolver while contained in the package in which it was originally wrapped at the time of sale and while transporting the same from the place of sale to the purchaser's residence or place of business, or to any person removing such person's household goods or effects from one place to another, or to any person while transporting any such pistol or revolver from such person's place of residence or business to a place or individual where or by whom such pistol or revolver is to be repaired or while returning to such person's place of residence or business after the same has been repaired, or to any person transporting a pistol or revolver in or through the state for the purpose of taking part in competitions, taking part in formal pistol or revolver training, repairing such pistol or revolver or attending any meeting or exhibition of an organized collectors' group if such person is a bona fide resident of the United States and is permitted to possess and carry a pistol or revolver in the state or subdivision of the United States in which such person resides, or to any person transporting a pistol or revolver to and from a testing range at the request of the issuing authority, or to any person transporting an antique pistol or revolver, as defined in section 29-33. For the purposes of this subsection, "formal pistol or revolver training" means pistol or revolver training at a locally approved or permitted firing range or training facility, and "transporting a pistol or revolver" means transporting a pistol or revolver that is unloaded and, if such pistol or revolver is being transported in a motor vehicle, is not readily accessible or directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle or, if such pistol or revolver is being transported in a motor vehicle that does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, such pistol or revolver shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Nothing in this section shall be construed to prohibit the carrying of a pistol or revolver during formal pistol or revolver training or repair.

(b) The holder of a permit issued pursuant to section 29-28 shall carry such permit upon one's person while carrying such pistol or revolver.

(1949 Rev., S. 4166; 1957, P.A. 163, S. 35; 1959, P.A. 179; 1963, P.A. 437; P.A. 81-45; 81-222, S. 2; P.A. 88-128, S. 1; P.A. 99-212, S. 2; P.A. 00-99, S. 77, 154; P.A. 01-130, S. 9; P.A. 03-19, S. 68.)
    Quote Originally Posted by CGS 29-38
    Sec. 29-38. Weapons in vehicles. (a) Any person who knowingly has, in any vehicle owned, operated or occupied by such person, any weapon, any pistol or revolver for which a proper permit has not been issued as provided in section 29-28 or any machine gun which has not been registered as required by section 53-202, shall be fined not more than one thousand dollars or imprisoned not more than five years or both, and the presence of any such weapon, pistol or revolver, or machine gun in any vehicle shall be prima facie evidence of a violation of this section by the owner, operator and each occupant thereof. The word "weapon", as used in this section, means any BB. gun, any blackjack, any metal or brass knuckles, any police baton or nightstick, any dirk knife or switch knife, any knife having an automatic spring release device by which a blade is released from the handle, having a blade of over one and one-half inches in length, any stiletto, any knife the edged portion of the blade of which is four inches or over in length, any martial arts weapon or electronic defense weapon, as defined in section 53a-3, or any other dangerous or deadly weapon or instrument.

(b) The provisions of this section shall not apply to: (1) Any officer charged with the preservation of the public peace while engaged in the pursuit of such officer's official duties; (2) any security guard having a baton or nightstick in a vehicle while engaged in the pursuit of such guard's official duties; (3) any person enrolled in and currently attending a martial arts school, with official verification of such enrollment and attendance, or any certified martial arts instructor, having any such martial arts weapon in a vehicle while traveling to or from such school or to or from an authorized event or competition; (4) any person having a BB. gun in a vehicle provided such weapon is unloaded and stored in the trunk of such vehicle or in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console; and (5) any person having a knife, the edged portion of the blade of which is four inches or over in length, in a vehicle if such person is (A) any member of the armed forces of the United States, as defined in section 27-103, or any reserve component thereof, or of the armed forces of this state, as defined in section 27-2, when on duty or going to or from duty, (B) any member of any military organization when on parade or when going to or from any place of assembly, (C) any person while transporting such knife as merchandise or for display at an authorized gun or knife show, (D) any person while lawfully removing such person's household goods or effects from one place to another, or from one residence to another, (E) any person while actually and peaceably engaged in carrying any such knife from such person's place of abode or business to a place or person where or by whom such knife is to be repaired, or while actually and peaceably returning to such person's place of abode or business with such knife after the same has been repaired, (F) any person holding a valid hunting, fishing or trapping license issued pursuant to chapter 490 or any salt water fisherman while having such knife in a vehicle for lawful hunting, fishing or trapping activities, or (G) any person participating in an authorized historic reenactment.

(1949 Rev., S. 4169; 1953, S. 2133d; P.A. 86-280, S. 1; P.A. 87-220, S. 2; P.A. 98-129, S. 11; June Sp. Sess. P.A. 98-1, S. 120, 121; P.A. 99-212, S. 14.)
    (Empasis added)
    Last edited by Aguila Blanca; April 20th, 2009 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Add statute cites