Thread: Mounting a scope to a S&W Model 617

Mounting a scope to a S&W Model 617

Have a new Leupold pistol scope. Bought the rings and base that Leupold web site says fit the gun.

No luck - rings do not fit the base.

Base appears to have a rectangualr cross section, rings seem to want something with an angled cross section.

The rings are Leupold Number 57385 "Detachable Medium Rings"

The base is 53564 "Dual Dovetail S&W Classic Silver"

It looks something like this: http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-s...andgun-mounts/

I just had the same problem mounting a Nikon Prostaff to a Ruger 10/22 - can someone help me with the basic language - apparently there is no standard or multiple standards for rings and bases.

Lucky I bought some see thru rings for the Ruger that do away with the base and just bolt right to the receiver. At least I got that one mounted.

Started mounting them myslef because can't seem to get local folks to do it without banging up the gun. Frustrating hardware though - should be easier.

Just so we're clear; the Leupold base fits the gun, but the Leupold rings don't fit the Leupold base? I'd take that up with Leupold. They're reputation for customer service is tops, and my one experience with them in that regard was pleasant. My Leupold rings fit my Leupold Dual Dovetail base (for a Rem 700 rifle) by being inserted into the base notches and then rotated into final position using a wrench.

I think I was trying to mount leupold weaver rings to the leupold base.

More parts coming tomorrow, we'll see if I was right.

The term, "Dual Dovetail" as used by Leupold confuses some people, even experienced ones in the gun business. I've asked for them at more than one sporting goods shop where they had a bunch of Leupold stuff on the wall, and I got blank stares. They're assuming I mean something like a Weaver or Picatinny mount, which do indeed use dovetails but they're completely different. Assuming that I'm the one who's confused, they then semi-patiently try to set me straight. That's when I walk out.

I ordered both and wound up using the weaver because the scope, base and rings match better color wise.

But yes, from all the online info, very confusing. Still don't know what third type of base that was on the 10/22, too small for the weaver rings that came with the nikon scope.

But both scopes are now mounted - wish I could get out this weekend . . .