Thread: Let's just give the pirates our ships - bullets first, ARRGH!

Let's just give the pirates our ships - bullets first, ARRGH!

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-2...ts-first-ARRGH

SNIP

Continuing pirate attacks on American flagged ships on the high seas is a call to arms for commercial sailors and ship owners alike. And this weekend's Wall Street Journal took note of this call to arms in an article entitled "Attack Raises Debate on Guns for Sailors."

Unfortunately, the views of those interviewed by the Journal fell into the either/or propositions of either "[g]ive me mounted machine guns" or just keep those "fire hoses under pressure so they are ready to blast pirates." But there's a middle ground - let sailors carry the same arms at sea they can carry in their home towns while shopping at the mall or hunting in the woods. . . .

Middle ground....

I found the handheld M60 to be the most effective pirate killer. Auto,belt fed, better be wrapped in much steel to survive. Pirate killing, vol 1, Chapter 2.
    When I joined, I swore to protect and defend the Constitution. No one ever said I was relieved of that oath.

Let's call them what they are

Alright that's enough! Why insult self respecting pirates?

They are not pirates. These arrre waterbourne (sp) Muslim terrorists and as we all know the war on terrorism is over. I wish there was something we could do.

It's like Mason told Dickson...
    You gotta draw the line somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by majstoll View Post
    http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-2...ts-first-ARRGH

SNIP

Continuing pirate attacks on American flagged ships on the high seas is a call to arms for commercial sailors and ship owners alike. And this weekend's Wall Street Journal took note of this call to arms in an article entitled "Attack Raises Debate on Guns for Sailors."

Unfortunately, the views of those interviewed by the Journal fell into the either/or propositions of either "[g]ive me mounted machine guns" or just keep those "fire hoses under pressure so they are ready to blast pirates." But there's a middle ground - let sailors carry the same arms at sea they can carry in their home towns while shopping at the mall or hunting in the woods. . . .
    Would being willing to negotiate with idiots be our problem. Would putting idiots in control be our problem?
    Would not caring if we were the majority be our problem?
    Would allowing the idiots and anti-social power hungry megalomaniacs to promote as much propaganda as they like be our problem?

Or is it somebody elses fault?

Administrator   
    Long range machine guns, best thing on the water low tech and low price. Short range, flamethrowers. I know, dangerous and impractical, but the first Somali ship that sees their buddies falling off the ladder screaming while burning, they might think twice about trying to board. Heck, you can even say it's a mercy weapon - all they have to do is leave the ship and get in the water to survive...
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

http://czforumsite.info/

Those who try to steel ships are iron pyrates
    Governments don't live together. People live together.

Quote Originally Posted by TallPine View Post
    Those who try to steel ships are iron pyrates

Eeeew!!! Some people should be beat to death with their own puns!

I prefer 25mm's and M19's.
    When the going gets tough the tough get cyclic!
    "The Constitution is a restraining order against the federal government. I'm not going to say a word about the effectiveness of restraining orders against criminals." Standing Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by Selena View Post
    Eeeew!!! Some people should be beat to death with their own puns!
    Oh great! Then we'll get the Brady Campaign Against Pun Violence. Maybe Mayor Bloomberg will start up Mayors Against Illegal Puns.
    You can have free speech or you can have income taxes but you cannot have both.

Quote Originally Posted by IA_farmboy View Post
    Oh great! Then we'll get the Brady Campaign Against Pun Violence. Maybe Mayor Bloomberg will start up Mayors Against Illegal Puns.
    An idea who's time has pun?

Quote Originally Posted by Selena View Post
    An idea who's time has pun?
    I should have listened to my mother when she said "don't take your puns to town, son."

Governments don't live together. People live together.

I should have known that I'd be pun-ished for enjoying this forum.

nplant
    Thread necromancy AND puns galore? Shut it down!

Quote Originally Posted by nplant View Post
    Thread necromancy AND puns galore? Shut it down!

And let pirates sink into obscurity?

It is the companies and the ship owners that resisted arming the ships. I don't know if it had to do with insurance cost or just mindset but so long as piracy was limited robbery, murder, assaults, rape, and stealing spare parts the maritime industry was just fine with it.

Many of the licensed officers also didn't want to see the vessels armed. About 50% view the military negatively and resent any change to ship operation that affects their working lifestyle. A lot are Liberal and so long as it doesn't happen to them have the typical Liberal midset.
    Last edited by Lasergunner; August 31st, 2012 at 09:58 PM.

Would laws in the port cities throughout the world be applicable on the ships bearing US flags if they are docked?

What if the weapons are stowed securely (say only the captain and engineer have keys to the cabinet)?

Can this be bypassed if the weapons are say US Government owned, marked, and registered, but loaned to the ship?
    The worst things happen at the most critical times, and it's these moments that YOU need to be flawless, not the gun.

Years of Communist oppression have made the Mosin Nagant impervious to physical damage.

Gun lockers aren't the issue. The Captains and deck officers may view any regulation as an added hassle but if the company sets the policy the ship's officers are paid to execute it. Govt. or civil service ships do have gun lockers and the crews recieve some tactical and firearms training. Although, I have had some people tell me if they are ever in the situation they would just hand over there weapons to the bad guys and say "please don't kill me."

For the commercial outfits, for the most part, they simply don't want to have to pay the added manning cost of full time security guards even in high risk areas to protect the vessels and crew. For many companies, they promulgate the policy of "don't resist just give the pirates what they want."

Before the stories of pirates siezing tankers and cargo ships off the Somali Coast started making the news this had been going on for decades. Just about every strait or confined waterway in the Far East had a reputation for piracy. The Straits of Mollocka were particularly notorius. The Communist Chinese Navy routinely engaged in piracy. Sometimes they even forced their victims to sign a document stating that they hadn't been robbed/pirated by the Chinese Navy.

If I were POTUS I would ask congress to issue letters of marque to anyone willing to go after pirates.

Don't fall onto the deck unless you're rough and tough and used to hard ships
    I couldnt resist.
    Whiskey for my men! Beer for my horses!