Thread: 6 Va. Democrats flip flop, vote to limit military gun rights

6 Va. Democrats flip flop, vote to limit military gun rights

Please Click and DIGG!

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-2...handgun-a-year

SNIP

examiner.com Almost nobody expected Governor Tim Kaine's veto of HB 1851 to be sustained by the Virginia General Assembly after Kaine insulted military members with his dishonest veto message. But "the biggest surprise of the day" was the flip flop votes of 6 Virginia Senate Democrats . . .

--

And if you have a moment, also go to http://www.reddit.com/r/reddit.com/c...limit_military and give this column a "thumbs up," Thanks! We need to get this message out on these 6 Dems in Virginia.

Administrator   
    I hope they are remembered come election time.
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

http://czforumsite.info/

Misleading sensationalism, especially in the title.

This bill's failure does not limit military gun rights, it fails to elevate the military to a special class equivalent to the CCW holder in VA, exempt from the one gun a month BS.

Allowing military ID to serve as proof of residence sounds suspect. Residency is currently proven for the Federal form 4473 by showing military ID and a copy of Permanent duty orders to establish residency. There is no requirement that military be an actual "tax purposes" legal resident. Furthermore, with their permanent orders they are able to apply and get a VA CCW. A military Id by itself does nothing to establish residency.

The one gun a year thing due to 30 days leave for VA residents stationed outside of the state is another red herring. First, nobody takes their leave all at once. Second, if they have permanent duty orders and an ID they can buy a pistol in the state they are stationed in.

I am a lifelong VA resident, stationed in VA for 14 years and I have advised many non-resident military on buying guns. This whole thing is a bunch of hype.

Latley the VA pro-gun bills have a hard time inspiring me. Like the restaurant ban. Why allow CCW in restaurants unless we can get it into the code a clear legal standard for intoxication while carrying. The whole idea that a CCW cannot have any alcohol in his system is bogus and subject to abuse. You can blow .02 for mouthwash or drinks you had a long time ago. In my opinion a restaurant CCW law that does not codify .08 as the legal cut-off for carrying while intoxicated is useless. Now if you think .08 is too dangerous to carry with then we better fix the drunk driving laws and get that level down to .02 like it is for minors because surely we wouldn't want a drunk with a dangerous weapon like a car.

So, my opinion of this latest bill is the same as the restaurant bill. Does little to nothing, not carefully crafted, and wastes our political energy.
    No, holding that venegence upon their enemies was more to be desired than any personal blessings, and reckoning this to be the most glorious of hazards, they joyfully determined to accept the risk... Thus, choosing to die resisting, rather than to live submitting, they fled only from dishonor... Pericles' Funeral Oration

Clinging to my guns and religion, smalltown America
    Why allow CCW in restaurants unless we can get it into the code a clear legal standard for intoxication while carrying.
    For the same reason we allow driving to resuraunts that serve alchohol and prohibit drunk driving.

This bill's failure does not limit military gun rights, it fails to elevate the military to a special class equivalent to the CCW holder in VA,
    Why shouldn't they be equivelant? We have to take back our rights the same way we lost them, one step at a time.
    The most dangerous north American land animal is the RINO

i open carried in a resturaunt last night had a polite and happy conversation with the manager he said he didnt care that i had my sidearm but that conversation didnt have to happen if i was allowed to carry concealed.
    Point taken on the clarification of alcohol in the system however i never actually looked at it that way thankyou for the insight navy joe and youre service as well.

For the same reason we allow driving to resuraunts that serve alchohol and prohibit drunk driving.
    We allow patrons to drive home with a legal limit of alcohol in their system. There is currently no legal bar to keep a hyper cop-prosecutor team from putting a gun carrier, open or concealed, under the jail for just a hint of alcohol. Personal choices aside, I'd like to see it codified that if it is safe to drive below .08 it is safe and legal to carry. If not we better admit the driving limit is too high.

On the other part, how about a useful law like getting rid of one gun a month entirely, or fixing VA's retarded assault weapons definitions, or their Jim Crow knife laws. It's not really that I'm opposed to the military being exempt from one gun a month, more like I'm opposed to how the bill was written with residency requirements possibly conflicting with federal, and mainly how the article sensationalized what happened, like Tim Kaine was singling out the military and denying them gun rights. I've already pointed out, the headline and write-up were dishonest and misleading. The military simply remained as before, limited to one handgun a month like every other Virginian without a CCW. But wait, there's more, they can get a CCW or just file for a multiple purchase permit.
    No, holding that venegence upon their enemies was more to be desired than any personal blessings, and reckoning this to be the most glorious of hazards, they joyfully determined to accept the risk... Thus, choosing to die resisting, rather than to live submitting, they fled only from dishonor... Pericles' Funeral Oration

Wait a minute, a politician flip flopping?
    STOP THE PRESSES.

just to be fair these men did vote for it when it came to them i ask nothing more. The leader of thier party vetoed it (as much as it gives me displeasure) but they were pretty much resigned to following party lines after they voted to if only to cover there own butts and ensure full participation when the items on their own agenda came up. I am satisfied they did thier part to the best of their abilities to the poeple and party to wich they are affiliated with. I'll take a progun demi who votes for my 2cnd. ammendment rights and doesnt vote to override a veto anyday over one who is so apathetic or antigun he votes against all pro gun legislature any day. must be the comprimise in me coming out and i really cant believe i am saying it but thats just how the political system works. my.02cnt. god bless stay safe.

Wait a minute, a politician flip flopping?
    STOP THE PRESSES.
    I'm not saying this is the case ... but occasionally "flip-flopping" is an example of a representative attempting to represent the will of their constituents based on letters/calls/Emails/etc.
    It actually happens once in a while.
    DON'T PANIC