Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Cheyenne Public Shooting range?

  1. #1
    Senior Member  
    Join Date
    04-10-07
    Location
    Cowboy State
    Posts
    232

    Cheyenne Public Shooting range?

    So I will be in Cheyenne Wyoming in June and was wondering if anyone has info on a public shooting range. Also any ideas on public land available for shooting prairie dogs? not sure if I should bring a rifle along.
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member  
    Join Date
    02-13-07
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    254
    Off to the west of town is a place to shoot on State Trust land. Take Otto road (East Lincoln way will turn into Otto after you pass under I-80) west out of town for a few miles. On the right you will see the Cheyenne Regulator range (private), then right past that on the right hand side you will see a green gate with some hand painted signs. Close the gate after entering, and pick up ALL of your trash, shotgun hulls, etc. The area south of town was shut down due to folks leaving their trash, so now instead of a 5 mile drive, we have to drive further.

    For prairie dogs, you might find some public areas with active PD towns north of Cheyenne out around Chugwater or Wheatland. I have seen lots of towns up there and there are some areas of state land right off I-25.

  3. #3
    Member  
    Join Date
    01-05-09
    Location
    wyoming
    Posts
    57

    Angry

    Hanzerik


    Were you talking about the piece of state land off Terry Ranch road that was closed?
    For about 15 years, I shot on that land, without any problems but when they tried to put in an official shooting range in and the paper made a big deal out of it, that is when a bunch of idiots found the place and started dragging in old TV sets, bottles and all manner of trash to shoot up. They also drove all over spinning doughnuts tearing up the grass. I lived about 5 min. from there and could work up a load and run out and check it out.

    Since I am retired, I could go out during the week. and many week I would be out there three or four times and every time, I would bring out a load of trash, so I was not surprised that they closed it. A sad day for me because I now have to drive out to Otto Rd to shoot 15 miles across town.

  4. #4
    Senior Member  
    Join Date
    04-10-07
    Location
    Cowboy State
    Posts
    232
    Thanks to both of you for your info. I did do a web search on the "Cheyenne Regulators" and the cost of membership is not so bad with the NRA discount. Having a place to shoot where it is regulated to keep the idiots who shoot TV's and leave all assortment of trash behind is OK with me. Looking forward to being there in June.
    Thanks again, perhaps we will meet at the range one day.

  5. #5
    Senior Member  
    Join Date
    02-13-07
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    254
    Quote Originally Posted by wy child

    Hanzerik

    Were you talking about the piece of state land off Terry Ranch road that was closed?
    For about 15 years, I shot on that land, without any problems but when they tried to put in an official shooting range in and the paper made a big deal out of it, that is when a bunch of idiots found the place and started dragging in old TV sets, bottles and all manner of trash to shoot up. They also drove all over spinning doughnuts tearing up the grass. I lived about 5 min. from there and could work up a load and run out and check it out.

    Since I am retired, I could go out during the week. and many week I would be out there three or four times and every time, I would bring out a load of trash, so I was not surprised that they closed it. A sad day for me because I now have to drive out to Otto Rd to shoot 15 miles across town.
    Yes, the place off Terry Bison got closed. I also would pick up a bag of trash before I left the area, but the dorks left more stuff then was picked up.

    I am also mad I have to drive out Otto. It's not too far, but like you I was only about 7 minutes away from that place to the south. I can see it from my back yard (right off West College). My schedule allows me to shoot a few days a week if I want, but with the way primers are scarce, I don't want to shoot all my reloads without replenishing the components.

    Quote Originally Posted by AKCOP
    Thanks to both of you for your info. I did do a web search on the "Cheyenne Regulators" and the cost of membership is not so bad with the NRA discount. Having a place to shoot where it is regulated to keep the idiots who shoot TV's and leave all assortment of trash behind is OK with me. Looking forward to being there in June.
    Thanks again, perhaps we will meet at the range one day.
    I don't think that range is manned. From the looks of the gate it is a combination and you let yourself in and out. My FFL can give me more details if you need them as he is a member.

  6. #6
    Member  
    Join Date
    01-05-09
    Location
    wyoming
    Posts
    57
    I am a member there and it is a none maned range members use a key card to enter AKCOP how long do you plan on being in Cheyenne? if and you still want to join, I would do it soon so that they can send you your card before you get here. if you are going to be here for a short time and don't want to join just give me a call (I will send you my phone number by private message) I am usually at the range at least a couple of days a week. Also the state land is only about a 1/4 mile west of the chey regulators range. The advantage of the regulators range is that they have individual shooting lanes and a long range
    100,200,300, out to about 600 yards and some shooting benches

  7. #7
    Member  
    Join Date
    01-05-09
    Location
    wyoming
    Posts
    57
    Originally posted by Hanzerik

    I am also mad I have to drive out Otto. It's not too far, but like you I was only about 7 minutes away from that place to the south. I can see it from my back yard (right off West College). My schedule allows me to shoot a few days a week if I want, but with the way primers are scarce, I don't want to shoot all my reloads without replenishing the components.



    I can relate to that I have curtailed my shooting for the same reason I just bought a new 45 and can't find any ammo, bullets or powder for it also I have plenty of cases and primers for my rifles but again bullets are hard to find and when you do find them the price is out of sight.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •