Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Badgers in Texas

Badgers in Texas

When I was 11, I went to a large deer lease with my dad down in south Texas just outside of Cotulla. A large place, around 60,000 acres as my dad recalls. We were there with about 30 other hunters who all worked for the bank that my dad did. Apparently the bank had this place leased year after year. Anyway, I remember one of the hunters having killed a badger from his blind one morning. It was a big one (to me). This is the only badger that I have ever seen in the wild.

Does anyone have any experience seeing badgers here in Texas or hunting them? From what I can tell, they are purported to be rather widespread here in Texas but I never see them or hear about them much.

Where have you seen them and how do you hunt them?
    NRA Life Member

My elected officials know and are routinely reminded of what I expect of them. Can you say the same?

Never hunted them, and I'm not in Texas. But my gun club range here in CO is way out in the country, and I was out there one night scrounging brass (long story).

I was back near the target berm of range 4, and hear a wierd clicking/snappin sound, and turned my flashlight to the sound. There were two badgers that had come out of their den to investigate the noises I was making.

They weren't threatening me, so I had no need to shoot them, but they were PO'd and too close for comfort, so I boogied to another range for my scrounging. And they weren't that big, IMO, about the size of small raccoons only squattier. I've heard they're vicious little bastards though, so I put some distance between us asap.

Cotulla is in La Salle county. According to the map linked to this article, La Salle county has badgers.

I've lived in Texas all but 28 months of my life, and I've never seen one, and didn't know we had them. I try to learn something new every day. I guess I can turn in now.

Tom

Cotulla is in La Salle county. According to the map linked to this article, La Salle county has badgers.
    Right you are, and just like you, I have been here my whole life as well. That's what I find curious about this animal. As many years as I have spent pounding the brush in Texas, I have never seen another one. It would appear that they are fairly widespread here. Must be pretty elusive.
    NRA Life Member

My elected officials know and are routinely reminded of what I expect of them. Can you say the same?

Blue River Wisconsin, in a little hut in the woods
    I have lived in Wisconsin, the badger state, most of my life except for service time and a sad 20 years in Illinois before I came back. I have seen exactly one badger in the wilderness most of the rest in zoo's, I preferred the one in the woods. If you shoot one in any case except a proven case of self defense you will be talking to the judge.
    1934 National Firearms Act, 1968 The Gun Control Act, 1986 Firearms Owners Protection Act, 1993 Brady Handguns Violence Act, 1994 Assault Weapons Ban, 1995 Gun Free School Zones Act, NO MORE COMPROMISING

If you shoot one in any case except a proven case of self defense you will be talking to the judge.
    Hmm...I don't show that they are afforded any protected status down here in Texas. Were you speaking for Wisconsin?
    NRA Life Member

257, we've been looking in the wrong places. Apparently, they hang out close to down town Austin.

Texas Parks and Wildlife list badgers with the fur-bearing animals. Must have a trapper permit to take.

Tom

Tom,

Thanks for the info.

I guess I'm more interested in hearing about them around here than hunting them really. Neat animals.

I'd have given anything to see the game warden and those police officers trying to entice that guy out of the hole with those birds. Even better, it would have been interesting to see what they did with it once they caught it.
    NRA Life Member

Blue River Wisconsin, in a little hut in the woods
    In Wisconsin they are a protected species for obvious reasons, the weepers and moaners would cry about the loss of the state animal just like they cry over the hunting of Doves.

When I was stationed in New Mexico I was taught that fur bearing animals like Badgers could be hunted with a regular hunting license but the take was only one a day and that was true In New Mexico, Arizona and Texas. I assume that is still true. Not a popular game animal because they are nocturnal and other than raccoons I don't know of any game animal that can be hunted after sunset.

This is just off the top of my head remembering ancient history.
    1934 National Firearms Act, 1968 The Gun Control Act, 1986 Firearms Owners Protection Act, 1993 Brady Handguns Violence Act, 1994 Assault Weapons Ban, 1995 Gun Free School Zones Act, NO MORE COMPROMISING

Plus, Badgers would have to go into the category of beneficial animals as their diet consist mostly of rodents and snakes and things. Unlike coyotes, they are no threat to livestock...although I believe that threat is overblown.

At any rate I wouldn't think badger hunt very sporting.

The official word from the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department:

"No, badgers are not protected in Texas, they are one of our listed
    furbearers and may be taken year-round with a valid hunting license. No bag or possession limits apply. However, if you are taking badgers for fur or sell any part of the animal, you may only do so during the open trapping season, Nov. 1- March 31 and must have a valid trappers license in order to do so during that time."

That being settled, it would seem that they are a fairly rare sight down here in Texas. It's proven that they exist here though. I guess that if I am ever lucky enough to take one, I'll just have to figure out where to put him after I get him home from the taxidermist.
    NRA Life Member

As a dumb kid, I once tried to take a squirrel by hand. It occurred to me that ANY hunting can be sporting if you get creative on how you do it.

And as far as Cotulla, I'd be more worried about Rattlers. I was there a few years ago and it seemed like those things were everywhere.
    It's a trick, Get an axe.
    -dogmush-

C'mon down and try it. I'll loan you a 3" knife.
    Being right too soon is socially unacceptable. - Robert A. Heinlein

Blog - updated irregularly
    Photos - still under construction, suggestions welcome

C'mon down and try it. I'll loan you a 3" knife.

I'm passing through but this thread caught my eye. I grew up in Karnes City, our mascot, a badger. Until I knew what a badger was, I though our mascot was lame

Interesting thread, I had no idea about the legality of hunting them, never inquired.

Take care yall

i saw one cross the road in front of me once out close to lubbock.
    The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subjected people to carry arms...
    Adolf Hitler

When I was growing up in Iowa, I once saw one digging a hole in the middle of a gravel road. These creatures are amazing and if someone had never seen a claw on these things they are missing out.

We have caught two badgers in conibear traps on our property in the last year. When we caught the first one we couldn't believe what we were seeing since we had never seen a badger on the property before.

my dad used to drive a truck up here in ok. he came acrossed one in a road. he stopped and it attacked his front tire. i ont no if he smashed it tho.
    The truck you drive says a lot about you, the guns you shoot say even more.
    "How bout them liberals?"
    Friends don't let friends drive Fords/Dodges.

As a native Oregonian, I've seen one in the wild, and only caught a glimpse.

Hunting them would probably involve a blind and patience. Sounds like lots and lots of patience.
    We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office.

I had no idea we had badgers in Texas and I grew up on a ranch in Llano Co. Last November I was sitting in my blind and began hearing what I took to be a rattler striking the floor of the blind every time I moved my foot. Not being real excited about having an agitated rattler in the blind with me or having to jump over one to get out of the blind, I decided to vacate while I still had light enough to see where I was going. The badger and I both decided to abandon ship at the same time and we came eyeball to eyeball as I rounded the corner. I'm not sure which of us was the most surprised at what we saw. Ranks right up there with accidentally running over a porcupine that I thought was a raccoon until I stopped for gas and discovered my tire had a beard.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepmor
    As a native Oregonian, I've seen one in the wild, and only caught a glimpse.

Hunting them would probably involve a blind and patience.
    We encountered a family of badgers on a road near the Trout Creek Mountains (yep, they're in Oregon -- you might have to look them up, though) as we were admiring a gorgeous sunset. These six or seven critters come around a corner and see two large two-legged animals and an even larger animal with four wheels ... the whole wide world is available to them as an escape route ... so what do they decide to do? Duh, they're badgers. They attack! The whole family of them, down to the littlest ones, about the size of squirrels, came bounding down the road directly at us. We got in the car, took evasive action and left them their patch of road.

So my recommendation for badger hunters would be to do pretty much anything in their vicinity; it's sure to annoy them, and the game then comes down to getting them before they reach you.
    Last edited by OldCowHand; June 5th, 2009 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Trout Creek, not Sheep Creek ... been too long ...

Ill bet you are thinking of an armadillo!!

Even the Disney studios, who did dozens of short films involving badgers, knew that they were ferocious little beasts. Petting a badger is like trying to kiss a weedeater... they are best left alone or skinned and stretched...

When my son was small (4 or 5), he got confused about badgers and wolverines (since Disney had made short films with both) and when asked about what the movie had in it, he said... "that mean ol' badgerine"...

think about that possibility...

WT
    "What man is a man that does not make the world a better place?"... from "Kingdom of Heaven"
    True patriots feel that there is no problem in our Republic that cannot be solved by election, windage and elevation, or superior firepower.

Been in Texas all my life. Just the last several years I've seen animals I never did growing up. Alligators, porcupines and beavers. No badgers yet- but I'm keeping vigilant.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.