Thread: Mossberg

Mossberg

Can anyone tell me the differace in a 500 Cruiser And a Maverick?

This is going to be used primarly for home defence unless the shtf.
    Why the HELL should I have to press 1 for English

A Maverick 88 is basically a Mossberg 500 with a somewhat cheaper construction and a trigger-block safety instead of the tang safety. A Mossberg Cruiser is a Mossberg 500 that has a pistol grip instead of a proper stock.

Either the Mossberg 500 or the Maverick 88 will make decent HD guns. I'd get one with a proper stock, though, instead of one with a pistol grip; pistol-grip only shotguns are slow and difficult to aim, not to mention painful (the entirety of the 12 gauge's recoil is absorbed by your hand and wrist instead of your shoulder).
    Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
    It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.

-William Pitt, 1783

Most parts will interchange on the Cruiser and Maverick, including stocks, pistol grips, and bolts.

Also O.F. Mossberg has great customer service and prices.

The main difference, from a manual of arms perspective, is the location of the safety... the original location of the safety on the MOssberg, on the tang, is ideal for HD, especially in the dark.... that, and I think the other key difference is the Maverick is assembled in Mexico.

Either gun will serve you well. +1 to Regolith on recommending you get a full length stock rather than a pistol grip.

You might think about going with the Moss 500; full stock, barrels are easily interchanged, and the tang safety is easy to deal with. I've got an 18.5 for the house and a 28" for the great outdoors. They have a rifled barrel for slugs as well. It's like having three guns in one.

I agree on the pistol grip. Recoil is harder to handle making for less accurate shooting, and a sore wrist.
    "Be not intimidated... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your liberties by any pretense of politeness, delicacy, or decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for hypocrisy, chicanery and cowardice." ~John Adams

my 500 cruiser came with the full stock and pistol grip, I have used the PG once, and find no use for it. A full stock is much more usefull, and easier to use
    "Patriotism is not a short and frenzied outburst of emotion but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime."
    -Adlai Stevenson

I prefer full stocked shotguns, but pistol grip only shotguns have their place and with enough practice you can shot a PGO shotgun just as well as a full stocked one.

My cousin shoots clays thrown from a mechanical flinger with a PGO Remington 870 from the hip. I must admit that he has shot it for 18 years like that (since he was 14 years old) and fired over 3,000 rounds through it.

I will admit that shooting 00 Buck and 3" Magnums is very wearing on the hand and wrist though.

I prefer the standard stock 8 shot 500. Just a plain Jane self defense shotgun that goes bang whenever I pull the trigger. Load it up with three shells #4 shot and 5 of 00 buck. If I can stop an intruder with the lighter shot I can avoid over penetration and the possibility of putting holes in the neighbors house. If however, I need a bit more distance, or the bird shot fails to do its job I have the benefit of 00 to back it up. In any case the Mossberg 500 is a reliable tool and easy on the wallet. Every home owner should have one IMHO.

Suggestion

I guess this topic is all about people sharing their views with us now so maybe you can make some sense out of Japanese Old School BBQ 7/27/13 in Long Beach =) this as it was the only heading there the time we needed to know about it. We can also have do my accounting homework.