Thread: Allow guns on college campuses?

Allow guns on college campuses?

Current debate ongoing in Texas on allowing concealed carry in college classroom. Letter in paper today from guy who was shot at Virginia Tech...

"I was shot at Virginia Tech. With respect, I think those professors are clueless about what it's like to be in the middle of such a situation. I think putting weapons on Texas campuses is a crazy, dangerous idea." Colin Goddard, who works for (surprise surprise) the Brady Campaign to prevent gun violence.

link to his letter: http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...1.253393d.html

Anybody remember whether they had enough common sense and self control while in college to be packing?

I managed to make it through college without shooting anyone.
    "[The 2nd Amendment's] free exercise is the antithesis of serfdom and the only meaningful form of holocaust insurance known to man." -- Gus Cotey, Jr.
    NRA, SAF, and JPFO Life Member. USCCA annual member.
    Public Relations Coordinator, Connecticut Citizens Defense League, Inc.

I went to school at a college where it was rare to be carrying a sidearm, but having your shotgun in your truck or standing in the corner of the classroom fresh from the field was unusual but not unheard of.
    Paul
    People have some respect for the complexity of technology. But almost every ignorant fool thinks he understands money and economics.

I worked in campus security for nearly my entire college career.
    (kinda ironic to find out how untrustworthy I apparently was)
    "The dogs bark, but the caravan moves on"

I never went to college. But when I was of that age I was apparently trustworthy enough to be armed with everything from a handgun to a 7.62 machine gun in public places and I never felt the need or desire to shoot the place up for the heck of it.
    I wish I believed in reincarnation. Where's Charles "The Hammer" Martel when you need him?

www.bagpipeforum.com
    yes, I play the bagpipes. No, I don't wear a skirt. It's called a kilt.

Some of the smartest people I've known were "dumb hillbillies".

I managed to make it through college without shooting anyone.

Ditto...

C

i am in college now, and i see a lot of morons.......
    even my coworkers do not respect firearms and treat them as if they are toys...

so my faith in my peers has been diminished, now i also know alot of strapping young men and women who i would say have the fortitude to conceal carry on campus. unfortunately a couple of those are huge anti-gunners...
    i would be ok with people CCW on campus but discipline and respect for these tools needs to be taught... i dont think people have dads and grandpas anymore who teach them how to be upstanding people with the know how to utilize responsibility

i hate being a pessimist, but a lot of my peers act like stupid kids.
    now i am not a real young man just starting school, i am in my mid 20s and in graduate studies, i tutor kids and have been a substitute teacher just to see what its like.
    i swear kids have no respect and lack responsibility...

now that being said,responsible students and faculty should have the ability to carry protection to inhibit muggings in those dark campus parking lots, and other occurrences that we have all become accustom to due to the over publicity of the evening news....
    responsible people should be able to CCW

now, how do we determine of someone is "sane" and "responsible" enough to carry a gun? am i wrong at thinking only the responsible should? is testing to determine this unconstitutional?? i haven't the answers to those questions, what do you guys think?
    Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.
    -Pericles

I am going to college in a few months and I must say
    i see a lot of morons
    however some kids are able, willing , and trustworthy enough wink wink to carry a gun. I do think that some testing/training is necessary to keep the morons from getting the guns with the "I'm profesional enough to carry this glock 40" attitude

The Land of Northern Hospitality and Southern Efficiency
    It's not like we're advocating the arming of the entire student body. All we're looking to do is allow those students and employees (21 and older) who have Concealed handgun permits be allowed to carry them on campus property like they can anywhere else in the state. It's simply bringing the college back into compliance with state law and away from their rules.
    Move along move along. Nothing to see here.

The author of the letter displays a clear lack of any sort of objectivity, and, quite frankly, common sense. He complains that the shooter came back and shot him, again, after having left the room. Gee, I wonder if a concealed pistol could have come in handy then??? Nah, SO much better to be a disarmed victim when they come back for a SECOND TIME...

Instead of putting more guns in that classroom two years ago, I would work toward removing the two that were there, in the hands of the shooter.
    Okay buddy. Go take that gun away from him. I dare you.

Perhaps we don't want "everybody" to have guns,

I posit that the cream must rise to the top. Anyone showing the intelligence to determine that an uarmed person is a target while a shooter is a shooter, can apply. Anyone with the temerity to want to defend themselves and perhaps even ....wait for it....others can apply. Anyone who has the intestinal fortitude to believe that the only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns, can apply. The rest of the posers and hosers, losers and users are sheep and should never be left in control of a machine with more than two moving parts.
    And as long as I'm rantin' please Gunsby_Blazin, figure out what the "caps" button on your computer thinggy is for !!!! Punctuation counts if you're trying to make a written point! (never mind that dangling participle thing there, pay no attention, look away, look away I say)
    When I joined, I swore to protect and defend the Constitution. No one ever said I was relieved of that oath.

Recently I discussed a pro-carry on campus essay with the student who had written it. He was looking forward to getting his CCW when he turned 21. Part of his reasoning was, he said, that there were many illegal guns on campus in the hands of who were not to be trusted. He actually seemed to be in fear. Of course this is Detroit.
    “It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.”
    — Thomas Sowell