Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So... Where IS everybody???

Question So... Where IS everybody???

Gee, this forum use to be a heck of a lot more fun and active....

What, did everybody buy an AR or Glock in case the you-know-what hits the you-know-where due to you-know-who???

Hello... Is anyone one out there?!?!?

Old No7
    "Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH

How come they dont make decent affordable repro military boomsticks?

If a 18th century blacksmith who says "Guvner" can slap one together. How come modern ones cost more then an AK and 1000rds? at current prices? thats is where everyone is.

I guess everyones questions have been answered.

I spent yesterday melting 165 pounds of wheel weights, 120 pounds of range pickup bullets and 35 pounds of pure lead.

Anybody melt more than that yesterday?

I've been here, looking, but not finding a reason to post.

I didn't melt anything yesterday, but I did use a torch to heat a piece of steel. I'm planning to build a flintlock longrifle, and I'm practicing a little by installing a patchbox (cap box?) on my Lyman caplock rifle. I got a cast steel cap box from Track;
    http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(msq...um=PB-HAWK-2-I

It required a lot of fitting. The lid was too small so I had to enlarge it by peening). I also wanted to lower the hinge for a more flush profile, so I took the torch to it and bent it. 'Course that meant I then had to shim the fixed portion of the hinge where it mounts to the frame. I'd've silver soldered the hinge to the frame, but I don't want that to get in the way of any heat coloring I might want to do after it's all fit, or for the heat of the soldering to mess up the heat coloring.

I wasn't going to post anything on it 'till I finished it though. I've never done any inlays and this box frame will be inlayed flush to the wood. I also plan to replace the black aluminum barrel wedge escutcheons and possibly the forend cap, sideplate and trigger guard. It could turn out OK or it could be a mess. If I do my job right, the factory lock plate inletting will be the sorriest part of the rifle. If it turns out OK, or if I think I can do a good job the next time, I'm going for a full rifle build. I've been studying up on it and it's got the wheels in my head turning.

I've built and repaired small mechanisms, done metal fabrication and fitting, soldering and the like, and some woodworking, for decades in the musical instrument business, but this inletting stuff is new to me.

Carbine;
    How come they dont make decent affordable repro military boomsticks?
    Economy of scale, I guess. If you make a million modern bolt action rifles in a year and sell them for 500 bucks each, you can turn a profit, but tool up and faithfully reproduce a couple thousand Civil War era Springfields and the unit cost will be much higher.

"Decent" and "affordable" don't always go hand-in-hand unless we're talking a much larger market.

I recently saw an entirely hand-made (barrel, even) American longrifle being raffled or actioned (I don't recall which) that they said was worth sixty thousand dollars. A recent piece-- not an antique. I'm sure it is very, very "decent" but for me at least it certainbly isn't "affordable".

i have been wondering about the lack of activity too... i guess its spring after all...

Maybe we should invite the Capt over.
    It's sad, this section has really died since the split.
    A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”

And in a little while (just before the college folks go back and are trying to find something to fill the end of summer boredom) we'll be saying "who are all of these people?" <grin>.
    "The dogs bark, but the caravan moves on"

Administrator    

If it helps any, I'm thinking about buying a blackpowder revolver.

Administrator    
    I think (I hope) I have everything I need in center-fire and rimfire calibers (maybe a T/C encore or rifle because the concept is just too cool), but blackpowder intrigues me. I believe you can get a blackpowder set-up in the encore, as well. But having a blackpowder revolver is definitely a future buy, for pure historical reasons, when time (to learn), money, and space allows. I'd want to put it in a nice hardwood/glass case (not that it would just be there to look at, but those old cowboy guns are beautiful), and do the whole rig set-up.

Any suggestions on the revolvers? I only see them on classics, spaghetti westerns, and so forth. I have no experience whatsoever, in this subset of firearms.

BTW .... I know there's not as much traffic through .us, right now. Hang in there, I'm sure Omnivore can give some more insight, and, perhaps, go to .org (respectfully, of course, and provided you haven't been banned) and let some of the ones over there know that there are options. Unless, of course, they're staying there for their own informed reasons.

Any suggestions on the revolvers?
    If you have none at the moment, the 1851 Colt Navy (.36 cal) and the Colt '60 Army (.44) are good classics, and very nice to handle. Uberti and Pietta both make pretty good ones. Then there's the Remington 1858 Army .44 which is a bit heavier but very solid. Those three were far and away the most common in their day and often seen in the movies. Any of those make a good first C&B revolver. There are of course others, depending on what catches your eye. I've been thinking of a Colt '62 Police, which is a little "pocket" revolver, and I'm thinking the LeMatt revolvers are really cool, but I already have the two Colts and the Remington. The big Colt Walker and Dragoon revolvers have a big following also, for those who want max power in a .44, and the Ruger Old Army (a modern design, now out of production) has a very loyal following due to it's rugged construction. But all this has been covered at great length in past threads.

ruger old army! cant blow it up

Administrator    
    Thanks, search function is my friend

I did spend at least a year or so, may have been two, on here before signing up, going through the various threads, so I never developed a need for immediate responses from members on questions, wasn't a prob at all, went over to TFL, at that time, because they didn't require a log-in for search requests, don't know if they do now .... that's the advantage over there at .org, the relatively instant feedback, but there is a cyclical pattern to the issues, so if you're not search function-averse, the crickets chirping doesn't bother much. spent alot of time in the library in my day

friday i called dillon. a box arrived today with 27 items--17 different parts to rebuild my square deal press. its working fine but i figured after about 250,000 cycles it could use some tlc.
    the chat with dillon was [ as always] pleasant and even got free a powder tube when i mentioned that i was using a sd flashlite to see inside mine.
    im loading rifle on the old gray& red lyman while i detail the sq-deal.

weather is good and the dog didnt bite anyone today.....
    alls well

The Land of Northern Hospitality and Southern Efficiency
    If it helps any, I'm thinking about buying a blackpowder revolver.
    Zespectre, I have the two you need to pick up:

Starr DA Revolver,

The LeMatt...

For obvious reasons.
    Move along move along. Nothing to see here.

If you have none at the moment, the 1851 Colt Navy (.36 cal) and the Colt '60 Army (.44) are good classics, and very nice to handle. Uberti and Pietta both make pretty good ones. Then there's the Remington 1858 Army .44 which is a bit heavier but very solid. Those three were far and away the most common in their day and often seen in the movies. Any of those make a good first C&B revolver. There are of course others, depending on what catches your eye. I've been thinking of a Colt '62 Police, which is a little "pocket" revolver, and I'm thinking the LeMatt revolvers are really cool, but I already have the two Colts and the Remington. The big Colt Walker and Dragoon revolvers have a big following also, for those who want max power in a .44, and the Ruger Old Army (a modern design, now out of production) has a very loyal following due to it's rugged construction. But all this has been covered at great length in past threads.
    Right on. There has never been a better selection of quality cap and ball revolvers to choose from then today.
    You can start out with everything you need for around $200 if you start with a brass frame open top Colt. You just can't shoot full house loads in the brass frames. If you like it, then you can expand your collection. The 1858's are just a little more money.

If you got the extra bucks there are 2nd and 3rd gen Colt revolvers that are top of the line, many still NIB, Gunbroker has a ton of them listed. Cap and ball can become very addictive, get a black powder arms price guide and watch the used market. My black powder collection is just over thirty c&b revolvers now and I'm still looking for more.

Omnivore, get the LeMat, they are an absolute blast to shoot. I see used ones on GB, 100-200 bucks cheaper than NIB. A 62 pocket .36 is a great shooter to, I have a pocket police and a trapper in .36 and a baby dragoon in .31, fun guns and cheap to shoot.
    A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”

Zespectre, I have the two you need to pick up:

Starr DA Revolver,
    The LeMatt...

For obvious reasons.
    yeah (pardon the inside joke folks). Though having a LeMatt would be something fun/different.

I'm here and as long as I'm here it dosen't really matter where 'here' is....
    "nobody like's to fight but someone has got to know how" [USMC]
    "THERE ARE VERY FEW PROBLEMS IN THIS WORLD THAT CANNOT BE SOLVED WITH A WELL PLACED RIFLE SHOT" [USMC]

"Economy of scale, I guess. If you make a million modern bolt action rifles in a year and sell them for 500 bucks each, you can turn a profit, but tool up and faithfully reproduce a couple thousand Civil War era Springfields and the unit cost will be much higher."

That and the recent inflow of relic firearms coming in from Tibet and points more obscure. A fair portion of accurate muzzle loader replicas are bought as mantle hangers (or end up that way when the novelty of smoke and boom wears out for some gunnies). So the influx of rusted relics would be another factor in the whole situation. For the wall hanger contingent why pay 600-1000 for something like a 3 band enfield-when a original (albeit non-functional) can be obtained for about the same?

Plus the great gun buyin' binge of 2008-008 took a lot of the money away from those who might have bought a revolver or musket for fun. Their 1,000 ended up prepping an ak/ar for civil war verse 2, or the apocalypse.

Revolvers-if your going to carry it much a 1860 Army Colt or '51 Navy. If one's looking for something easier to transition to from a cartridge weapon- the Remington model or Ruger. If ones after a fair amount of load flexibility or really want to scare bears, or the neighbors-then a 3rd model Dragoon.
    Various forms of Colts and Uberti's tend to have pretty good standards of manufacture literally lifetime or longer quality.
    The brass frame BP revolvers, somewhat of a disposable weapon...tend not to hold up as well.

If you want to be really obscure, there's some Savage-North revolvers out there sometimes. Expensive but certainly unique...

Just found a pound of Pyrodex RS in my pile of stuff.

Trouble is I am pretty sure it is 20 years old.

Any suggestions?

I'm here. Isn't that good enough?

thesecond

But having a blackpowder revolver is definitely a future buy, for pure historical reasons,

Any suggestions on the revolvers? I only see them on classics, spaghetti westerns, and so forth. I have no experience whatsoever, in this subset of firearms.
    For purely historical reasons you can forgo the Ruger Old Army.

For historical, you could look at the various 1860s and 1851 from Colts and the Remington revolvers. If you want a miltary replica those are pretty good. One of the best selling revolvers for Colts was the various 31 calibers small framed revovlers commonly known as Baby Dragoons or Wells Fargo revolvers. Also popular were the same size revolvers but cut for 36 caliber. Small, compact and easily concealed and carried, more of these revovlers were produced than any other Colts model. They even made it into the cartridge era and were converted to handle the 32 Colt or 38 Colt cartridge.

Here is my Pocket Police

And my Pocket Navies

As much as I like my larger revolvers, these get carried a lot.

I am still looking for another Pocket Police to pair up with my lonely clone.

I've been spending evenings loading up some 40-65 and 45-90 ammo using black powder. I have finished for now withe the grease grooved bullets and going to start on some paper patched ones next.

Any of you guys wanna make me a nice little roller for putting these patches on?

Michael

It's THR.org/ that's the site that is down ... this is THR.us/
    Hello folks ...
    "I Smoke Black Powder" "Favor 1858 NMA Remington"
    Mosby's Rangers 43rd Virginia Cavalry C.S.A.
    SASS# 19634