Thread: Irresponsible shooting on roads and hiker trails in Olympia State Forest - need help

Irresponsible shooting on roads and hiker trails in Olympia State Forest - need help

The Capitol State Forest near Olympia, Washington is used by a large number of target shooters free of charge. Some of the less responsible users have given the responsible shooters a black eye by engaging in unsafe shooting practices, vandalism, and dumping of garbage. The legislature could implement a "solution" such as closing down the forest to shooters. It is my hope that the more responsible shooters would be willing to volunteer to help solve these problems before someone gets shot, and the Washington State Legislature imposes their own "solution".

The pictures shown below were taken on May 24, 2009 and covered just two roads in the forest.

The "Pit"
    11028 Waddell Creek Rd SW
    Olympia, WA 98512

• Unsafe shooting toward hikers and off- road vehicle riders.
    • Vandalism.
    • Unsafe shooting toward other shooters.
    • Widespread littering.

A club of AR-15 shooters cleaned up litter from "The Pit" about two weeks prior to the date I took these pictures. The litter you see in the complete collection of pictures represents two weeks worth of shooters not cleaning up after themselves.

More pictures and descriptions of irresponsible shooting here.

What the heck is that thing?

I agree, the shooters need to clean up their act, but I doubt those shots were fired by any responsible hobbyist.

But, what is that thing they were shooting?

maybe a sugestion box on why not to litter?
    Some day my children will have a lot of guns and that will bring a smile to my face.

Put up some "forest cameras" and catch the perps in the act. Here in SC, we use cameras to track deer, prowlers, etc. all the time. A bunch of loopies who can't be trusted with guns NEED to be caught. Using wildlife cameras placed in strategic places off the trail should do the job.

My bet is that it's people who don't have any business with guns anyway... teens who have "Daddy's guns" and are out showing off, or other such folks who think everything belongs to them. If you're too stupid to figure out you shouldn't be shooting near where people hike or ride 4x4's, you don't need to be shooting at all... and when they're caught, bury them under the jail... no little slaps on the wrist.

WT
    "What man is a man that does not make the world a better place?"... from "Kingdom of Heaven"
    True patriots feel that there is no problem in our Republic that cannot be solved by election, windage and elevation, or superior firepower.

If it's anything like where I shoot "that thing" is the donations box.
    I agree that some monitoring might be in order.

Or perhaps simply a few signs that say "due to recent misbehavior this sight may be under video surveillance".
    "The dogs bark, but the caravan moves on"

The metal box that was shot up is a mechanism to lock the gate, which is on the other side of the road.

The notion of putting up cameras is interesting. I don't like the idea of a police state. But, recall how private citizens starting putting up cameras on the Mexican border in southern states to catch illegals crossing onto private property? If I remember correctly, they connected the cameras to the internet, and ordinary citizens started monitoring the activity via their web browsers.

I'm sure some of the irresponsible people would use the cameras for targets, so perhaps it would be worthwhile to put up "decoy" cameras.

A bunch of us from the Washington chapter of Zombie Squad went out there and pulled a couple of truck loads of garbage out of there on may 30th as well.

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewt...p?f=73&t=46589

There was a guy from the Dept of Natural Resources there who was putting up a sign prohibiting off road vehicles. He said it would probably shot up and torn down in a day or two. I guess it was gone the next weekend. He was stoked that we were cleaning up and he told us that there are plans in the works to close it down because of the mess.

Of course, there was shooting too:

Great job,Seanwins.
    Amazing how much litter a bunch of slobs can create in a beautiful environment.
    Really disgusting.

Exclamation

Best wishes to you!

I loathe slobs too.

People should respect other people, other property - private and PUBLIC.

Use the Golden Rule policy when it comes to people, things and places.

Slobs = people who LITTER and vandals = criminals RUIN things for all other people in society. More and more places are getting shut down and not just shooting places due to SLOBS.

Slobs come in all types of people. Not a specific group.

I wonder why people would want to RUIN a beautiful or even a plainer piece of property (Private and public!) - is it because they are stupid, pigs/slobs or just because they have NO respect for anyone or anything or any PLACE?

No matter what their 'reason' is - it is a CRIME. It is a crying shame too!

Catherine
    Closed Account

i littered once kinda was early 70 and a fool i was giving a ride to threw some trash out the window. trooper thought it wasn't cute wrote me a ticket. i went to court and judge had me pu trash 3 weekends. strangley enough my friend didn't get written . no one litters near me.

is it because they are stupid, pigs/slobs or just because they have NO respect for anyone or anything or any PLACE?
    All of the above. Disgusting.
    Igonrance is temporary, but stupidity is forever.

Exclamation PS~~~

PS:

When I was a child and young lady (Summer of 1950 baby here.) we used cloth hankies not paper tissue. We had to IRON the hankies along with cloth napkins too. Other items of clothing - later on military uniforms as a USN Nam era bride got ironed too. I still have a few cloth hankies now. My late husband used men's white cloth hankies but I did not have to iron them - they were not 100% cotton. If he had to 'dress up' - I would touch up (Iron.) the white hankie though.

Anyway, we were raised that if you had a piece of trash or paper that needed to be thrown away... you held ONTO it until you reached a trash can, if you had a pocket or a purse or a briefcase... you put it in there and threw it away later on when you FOUND a trash can. It was not complicated!

I still DO this and I think that it is the right and PROPER thing to do.

I have spare plastic shopping bags and garbage bags kept in our vehicles. So if we travel or run errands - it is there if we need it to dispose of trash. I tell our 'company' that there is a trash bag to dispose of their trash while they are with us in our vehicle.

When I camp, hike, walk, picnic, shoot, fish, hunt, swim, go for a drive, sail/power boat = years ago, etc. - I and/or We pack IN and pack OUT. Most of our remote and off the beaten path places are like that. We rarely GO where there are many people and/or 'tourists'. Even when I go to camp sites that HAVE some bear proof garbage cans... I dispose of it properly. Usually when I go to those kind of official camp site places - it is OFF season and the 'campground' has NO services at that time of year anyway. So we still pack IN and pack OUT. Beaches, ocean shores, oceans, lakes, rivers and streams are ruined by SLOBS too! We have seen this even on the river shores of our good MT rancher friend's LAND. People leave a mess on HIS property plus dump trash in HIS camp fire site... they dump it in there - you name it - all kinds of trash! They do that on PUBLIC land too! They did this back on the East Coast, in the Great Lakes region, farm/lake country, out here in the West and I even saw this on the Oregon seacoast when I went to the Pacific Ocean years ago. Some on the Lewis and Clark trail in WA state too.

I was in a so called 'natural food - health store' a couple of times and the store was clean/nice. The people were nice... the sales help. I went to use the ladies rest room ONE time... oh my goodness! The place was a mess or they might not have had enough help to get in there and clean it up! Whether they had the HELP or not... the PIGS/SLOBS aka women who used it with their fancy clothes and made up faces sure had NO clue on putting their paper towels in a trash can. They had no clue that when you are through washing/rinsing your hands... you dry your hands and WIPE off the water if you dripped all over plus you turn off the faucets with your paper towel! (Sanitary reasons - same with a door handle.) Anyway... some of the people that you would THINK would be CLEAN and neat are NOT that way especially when it comes to public and private property!

I chased and yelled at some man one time who drove along my old township road many years ago to the corner of the cross roads. This was back east in farm/lake country. He threw out his fast food trash on the road in front of my land. He kept on driving and ignored me too. I picked up trash in front of the farm land across, to the sides of and in back of my own land if I saw it. I was friends with the elderly lady and told her that I would do this. She could not. Her son went to school with my late husband and we were all good friends. Even if she was NOT my friend including the other man... I would pick it up and tell her if it blew on her farm land... I would walk so far to PICK IT UP. I did not go on other people's land UNLESS they were there, we spoke or they needed help. I consider that private property rights and I don't trespass. Lots of open land - WIND in all kinds of weather and 'trash' blows. Now, one thing that I did notice out there - most of the people kept their places Clean/Neat compared to many other parts of the country. Same as many places that I visited on the east coast. I was born/raised on the east coast.

There are good and bad in ALL people... you have rich/fancy SLOBS, middle class slobs and poor/plain SLOBS. You also have clean/neat people in ALL socio-economic classes too. You can be a poor person and still be clean/neat and RESPECT other people and their property just as much as any other TYPE of person.

The word is RESPECT. The Golden Rule APPLIES to all people, all places and in ANY issue.

Old Fashioned Catherine
    PS: I reported that messy ladies room to a clerk. If I see a manager or clerk and something is messy - I report it because if they are BUSY and do not have 'regular check ups' - they might not know it is a mess. I report places that are LOW on toilet paper and paper towels too.
    Last edited by Catherine; July 2nd, 2009 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Added more and typos.
    Closed Account