Thread: Anyone using H4895 in .223?

Anyone using H4895 in .223?

I've just finished up 1400 rounds for Varmint hunting using H335 and I'm down to maybe 1/4 pound so I need to use something different. The only suitable rifle powder I have on hand is H4895 and none of the local dealers seem to have ANYTHING rifle related on the shelf. (no powdervalley or midwayusa)

I've found some load data but I'm pretty sure H4895 isn't going to behave well with my dillon powder measure . . .also not sure how easily it'll flow into the cases.

Any experiences greatly appreciated.

Have a good one,
    Dave

You are right on all points. 4895 will provide good accuracy and velocity in 223, but it doesn't meter as well as the finer powders and it is an challenge to get it through that small neck. I've used it for small batches of match or hunting ammo, but I don't think I would use it on a progressive.

4895 is a fine powder for 223.

As far as yer dillon, well the cheapo Lee measure works well with stick powder!
    < I don't need no teenage queen, I just want my em-fourteen....>

Mostly loads for heavier than varmint bullets but some good info on lot specificity.

http://www.usrifleteams.com/forums/i...howtopic=12989
    /Bryan

I use 4895 for all my 100-300 yd match loads. I have an extremely accurate load using 60 grain Sierra Varmiters that I shoot in 100 yd reduced course matches. I also load 69 grain SMKs with H4895 for 200 and 300 yd stages with very good results.

All these loads are shot from an A2 AR with a 1:8 twist, 20" barrel.
    “As long as we allow an individual right to trump public safety, families are going to lose their loved ones…"
    - Kristin Comer, Executive Director, Washington CeaseFire

I've used H4895 for some .223 rem loads I did. Honestly it metered nicely out of my Uniflo measure (though i did have a few "ca-chunk" throws while it sliced the extruded powder).

The 55 grain FMJ loads I did with H335 were noticeably more accurate out of my AR15 then the H4895 loads. However there was no extensive load development done with either powder, it was just a side by side comparison with those particular loads.

H4895 meters better then say IMR4198 because the extruded powder of H4895 seems to be a little shorter then other powders of similar types. I find this powder flows quite nicely.

Well I got lucky and found 3lbs of 748 locally so I think I'll load up a few differing charge weights at the same COL and see how they shoot. If they shoot well then I can save my 4895 for my .308.

Have a good one,
    Dave

Good score on W748. It does very well in my AR's & bolt actions.
    "To show you how radical I am, I want carjackers dead. I want rapists dead. I want burglars dead. I want child molesters dead. I want the bad guys dead. No court case. No parole. No early release. I want 'em dead. Get a gun and when they attack you, shoot 'em."
    Ted Nugent - speaking at the NRA convention April 17, 2005