+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What Are The ethics Of Ignoring THR's House Rules?

What Are The ethics Of Ignoring THR's House Rules?

Oleg went to a lot of trouble to build this forum, right now I assume he is spending quite a bit of money to maintain his rights to it. He has provided it to us all as a free service and asked that we specifically limit our posts to firearms related topics in GG. Lately Iíve noticed a few people that have chose to ignore his request. Iíve also noticed that they seem to have some type of justification as to why the rules donít apply to them.

So what are the ethics of doing what ever you want to do regardless of what the owner has requested that you do on his property (intellectual or real)? How does a person justify ignoring that request?

Is it ok to bend the rules (read disrespect Olegís wishes) just because we want to?

Do we, as the beneficiaries of his time and effort, have the right to ignore his request? What would be a good justification for doing so?

Is it ok to skirt the rules by throwing in an oblique gun refference to your boxing thread to make it "firearms related"?

Or am I just being an ass?
    It is your dissatisfaction with what IS that is the source of all of your unhappiness. Matthew Scudder

One guys opinion here.

My opinion is simple. THR is Olegs' place and he allows us to use his bandwidth. He sets rules and we agree when we register to abide by them or risk being booted off the forum.

So, disregarding the rules can and should have consequences. Temporary bans, permenant bans, the Evil Eye, whatever Oleg or one of his designated people (moderators) feel is appropriate. And the enforcement should be consistent. Someone getting "punished" here and not there would bring up accusations, justified or not, of bias.

This is a gun board. Simple concept, even I understand it.
    I wish I believed in reincarnation. Where's Charles "The Hammer" Martel when you need him?

www.bagpipeforum.com
    yes, I play the bagpipes. No, I don't wear a skirt. It's called a kilt.

Some of the smartest people I've known were "dumb hillbillies".

This is a gun board. Simple concept, even I understand it.
    Ok so how do you (in the generic sense) justify it when people ignore the rules and do it "my way"
    It is your dissatisfaction with what IS that is the source of all of your unhappiness. Matthew Scudder

I have an ethical obligation to be responsible for my actions and posts. That others chose to ignore the standards of the forums is not my responsibility to enforce, although a gentle reminder from time to time might be appropriate. Also, ethically, their decision to ignore the rules and standards doesn't give me the license to follow their bad example.

I say don't justify it. If Oleg has a rule, it's his decision to enforce it or not. Even if he chooses not to be heavy handed in doing so, I still agreed to abide by the rules when I signed up.

Folks who insist on doing it "my way" should go get their own forum and follow their own rules. Or maybe we should visit their homes and violate as many rules of common courtesy as we can and explain we're just doing it "my way".
    I wish I believed in reincarnation. Where's Charles "The Hammer" Martel when you need him?

www.bagpipeforum.com
    yes, I play the bagpipes. No, I don't wear a skirt. It's called a kilt.

Some of the smartest people I've known were "dumb hillbillies".

While it may not give you an answer to your ethics question, you did find out the consequences of not following the guidelines set forth.

http://thehighroad.us/showthread.php...94#post5145494
    Igonrance is temporary, but stupidity is forever.

I kinda started that thread to make a point, the point being you can't just post on any topic you like & throw in a gun referrence to make it kosher.

you did find out the consequences of not following the guidelines set forth.
    That post was clearly made tongue-in-cheek. The moderator understood this and closed it with a fitting response.

Everyone is entitled to a mistake or two but ultimately we can follow Oleg's rules or we can leave.

That post was clearly made tongue-in-cheek. The moderator understood this and closed it with a fitting response.
    Completely agree.
    Bubbles is very cool!

I'm not sure I see much of an ethical question here.

THR has its rules. It also has some flexibility, which is a double-edged type of thing: it gives posters "breathing room," but can allow on occasion the appearance of a double-standard if one poster's conduct slides by, while another poster's "similar" conduct provokes official reaction.

Some posters don't read the rules. Others want to find out where the boundaries are. Those who step over whichever line Oleg chooses to draw should get warned, and repeat offenders should get banned, temporarily or permamently. I suppose in some cases banning on a first offense is even called for.

So, if I re-phrase your question as, "What are the ethics of a poster trying to get himself banned?" Well, they are the ethics of a self-solving problem, aren't they?

And if the poster's conduct does NOT result in warning or ban--then maybe it's not so terribly "against the rules" after all?

(We can all act as "deputy enforcers" of the rules as we understand them, if we so choose. Easiest thing is, if an OP is not up to snuff, don't reply. Alternatively, you can hit the red triangle. Telling the OP, "Hey, your post sucks, and it's against the rules!" is probably the least effective option.)

If it was not for the ethics location. You would have to find another way to discuss this thread

I feel if Oleg is not happy he will say something, or get a "mod" who will enforce his feelings.

So many concern themselves if a thread gets closed like it is an affront to them, go and post another and try to stay closer to what you might think is the answer..The Mod will let you know

Regards

They way I see it, if I'm invited over to someone's place, I respect their boundaries, or I leave....
    http://www.skunkabilly.com
    If Chuck Norris and The Skunk logged onto THR at the same time, the servers would crash, for they could not contain that amount of pure awesome.

They might not even know Skunk was there. He's THAT smooth!
    Proud TFL and RT Alumnus
    Shoot Straight & Often!
    www.outofstateplates.com

Ya daaaaaang right...
    http://www.skunkabilly.com
    If Chuck Norris and The Skunk logged onto THR at the same time, the servers would crash, for they could not contain that amount of pure awesome.

They might not even know Skunk was there. He's THAT smooth!
    Going by his sig line he's more than smooth!
    I've been checking the bushes,the trees, and my back seat since his ninja warning!

What Are The ethics Of Ignoring THR's House Rules?
    unethical
    Cogito me cogitare; ergo, cogito me esse.

But ... THR.us doesn't have "rules."

No, really ... we don't. I went looking for them a few days ago, to compare them with the rules of another forum. This site has no rules. It has "guidelines," but those are very sketchy and don't adequately address behaviors that would get people warned or banned on a number of other sites. I understand that Oleg would prefer to take a "hands off" approach, and have the moderators do likewise. However, I don't think that works.

I understand that Oleg would prefer to take a "hands off" approach, and have the moderators do likewise. However, I don't think that works.
    I politely disagree. I think it works quite well as this forum is filled with the most informative and civil people on line that I have experienced. There is an occasional flare-up of hostility or rudeness, but that is the exception rather than the rule. I like Oleg's methodology and I believe it works.

JMHO.

Zip
    "Few of the great tragedies of history were created by the village idiot, and many by the village genius." Thomas Sowell
    "Sometimes absurdity is worth it for its own sake." Andrew Breitbart
    "Reality is not optional." Thomas Sowell

Administrator   
    Moderators are human. Their reactions to posts cannot be identical. So it would be polite not to put them in marginal situations where they have to decide if action is needed.

Basically, we want to be so different from rude people that our actions or conduct can never be mistaken for something requiring corrective action. That means erring strongly on the side of caution, politeness and civility. Not sarcasm disguised as politeness, not veiled insults or threats, not hyperbole, but clear, polite and exact wording. Remember, smiles, body language, tone, all those cues of friendliness in the real world are absent on this forum. So your words are all that others have to consider.

FWIW, last weekend I was present at a real world incident. A man was rude and odious but his actions were tolerated so long as he insulted only the hosts. When he began to say crass and rude things about female guests, he was asked to leave. His early rudeness didn't get him ejected but it was still rudeness and unwelcome.
    Oleg Volk
    A Human Right | Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Zipperhead
    I politely disagree. I think it works quite well as this forum is filled with the most informative and civil people on line that I have experienced. There is an occasional flare-up of hostility or rudeness, but that is the exception rather than the rule. I like Oleg's methodology and I believe it works.
    I respectfully submit that, inasmuch as I am afraid to post my opinions on some things out of fear that I will be verbally attacked for doing so, Oleg's approach does NOT work.

I have also reported several bad posts to the moderators, and there has never been any acknowledgement of the reports or moderating action taken. I certainly understand that not all of the reports might find agreement by the moderators but, as I am a moderator on two other forums, I wouldn't report a post if I didn't think it needed to be dealt with. To see no action on ANY of the reports, and to receive NO acknowledgment of the reports, pretty well suggests that the moderators aren't doing much of anything.

I've had one mod tell me that they're pretty busy.

But hey, as long as you'rew here why is it ok for you (Aquila Blanca) to post off topic threads in Oleg's house?

I am afraid to post my opinions on some things out of fear that I will be verbally attacked for doing so
    No offense intended and with all due respect, I find this difficult to swallow whole. I have read many of your posts and find you usually are rather free in the expression of your opinions. Many times I find your reasoning interesting and well expressed. Sometimes I beg to differ. But then we are different folks, you and I, so I guess it is to be expected.

I also, find some posters harsh, but I usually figure it sounds stronger to my ear than the person probably intends and so pay it (the harshness) little or no mind.

In the spirit of civil disagreement, I still believe THR is one of the more civil forums on-line and that Oleg's guidelines and style work more often than not.

JMHO.

Zip
    "Few of the great tragedies of history were created by the village idiot, and many by the village genius." Thomas Sowell
    "Sometimes absurdity is worth it for its own sake." Andrew Breitbart
    "Reality is not optional." Thomas Sowell

Administrator   
    In a pot of water, 200 degrees and rising slowly....
    I am afraid to post my opinions on some things out of fear that I will be verbally attacked for doing so
    Really? you're afraid some anonymous idiot on the internet will write bad things about you? Get a grip on yourself. Make an argument and support it. If the opposition crosses the line, report it to a moderator. If nothing is done it wasn't over the line.
    "...there's always somebody else out there that needs to be whacked"... MajGen James Mattis, to Co G, Third Battalion, Twenty-Third Marines, in Al Kut, Iraq, July 2003

What I do.

+ Reply to Thread