Thread: Possible consequences of using a pistol suppressor for a rifle

Possible consequences of using a pistol suppressor for a rifle

I find myself in a unique set of circumstances where I (completely, legally, etc.) own a pistol suppressor, but am prevented from legally buying a rifle suppressor by a bunch of bureaucratic stupidity.

The pistol suppressor is made by AAC for a 9mm pistol. The rifle in question is a .308, of which its bullets measure 7.62mm. In a pinch, would the 9mm suppressor be likely to handle standard pressure .308 rounds without damage, or should I simply forget the whole business about ordering thread adaptors and wait until I can move or spend tens of thousands of dollars? :P
    "When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel choice of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law."
    -Frederic Bastiat, The Law

There's a big pressure difference between 9mm and .308 win. I'd wager you'd blow the can.
    If you're going to hunt humans, you should know we travel in packs. -Capt. Phillip Korso

"...by a bunch of bureaucratic stupidity..." Whose? Nevada? Your Federal government only wants their $200 transfer tax. A suppressor is a supressor as far as they're concerned.
    There more to the story than bureaucratic stupidity?
    A pistol suppressor on a .308 will do nothing. Even if it doesn't blow. A 150 grain UMC has 2820 fps MV. A 115 grain UMC has 1155 fps MV. 329 ft-lbs of energy vs 2648 ft-lbs for the UMC rifle round.
    There more to the story than bureaucratic stupidity?

I think you would destroy the can , and the warranty . Once the tube is damaged beyond repair , you will have to pay the Feds $200 again to replace it , if you choose to ...

You can comfirm this with the can maker, but going from a muzzle energy of 330 to 400 ft pounds for the 9mm to 2600 + ft pounds for the 308 at the muzzle, makes it a very bad idea to use your 9mm can on a 308 win. I've worked with (licensed) can makers in the past, and can tell you that unless your manufacturer made the strength margins 5 times higher than normal, your 9mm tube may look like a shotgun bbl fired with mud in it when your done.

In fact, many makers used to make the pistol tubes out of aluminium, which was even more malable then the typical stainless used now. Like Sunray said, even if it doesn't blow, it wont reduce the db level any noticeable amount. For your sake please don't do it.

The pistol suppressor is made by AAC for a 9mm pistol. The rifle in question is a .308
    You might get lucky but you might hurt the suppressor and yourself. I’m not sure what you mean by “bunch of bureaucratic stupidity” however, if you are talking about laws your idea sounds even worse (you could loose what you already have and then some). If you are not allowed to have a suppressor on a rifle I would assume that means any suppressor. If you are allowed to have one in a pistol caliber mounted on a rifle (sounds highly unlikely) just form 1 a 9mm can that can take the extra pressure.
    "My right to swing my arm ends at the tip of your nose." Joe S.

You can own a pistol can, but not a rifle can? Definitely more to this story.....

"Shall not be infringed" doesn't mean what I think it means, apparently.

My papers were out of order due to a move, so while I already owned one suppressor, I couldn't get additional items.

The problem has been resolved and I'm happy to say I won't be risking the integrity of my safety equipment.
    "When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel choice of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law."
    -Frederic Bastiat, The Law

Mr WeedWhacker, if yuo handload subsonic-loads for .308Win with pistolpowder, yours silencer can maybe to take the pressure. I use Vihtavuori N-320 or N-32C pistolpowders.

Handloadind subsonis with pistolpowder for rifle is VERY DANGEROUS, if you donīt know what you are doing.

That's a good point KI.W.
    Which reminds me, Lapua also makes subsonic .308 ammunition.
    It's pretty darn good too!

As for trying full-power rifle in a pistol can, I can tell you from experience; the day sky will suddenly darken, the ground will shake, and you will behold a pale horse ... then you will asplode. It's a bummer.