Thread: Marlin 1894 mag tube

Marlin 1894 mag tube

Hi,

Wondering if anyone ever attempted a spot TIG welding their mag tube on a Marlin?

The reason being: This s the older model where the magazine plug screw does not go all the way through into the barrel, and the mag tube is held in place only by a small slot where the barrel band screw goes through. Well, this slot is chewed up because someone, in the years past, has left it loose. The barrel slot is okay, but the mag slot is about 50% larger than should be. I contemplated either getting an oversized bolt (no game), or filling the slot with solder and recutting it (solder may be too soft and cause the same issue down the road), or inserting a swivel stud on the barrel band that will go in to the tube as well and thus provide a second retention point. (This option is still appealing, however, it will shorten the magazine capacity by one or two rounds since the tube is too thin and I will need to machine a plug hat goes all the way in to get some extra threads for the screw).

Somewhere I read of people using either Red Loctite or JB Weld where the tube slides into the receiver, but I am not sure if to trust that. JB Weld is too thick and will prevent the tube from being removed, and the Loctite, if it works, will need to be heated to 500F to remove, which is not good either.

I thought, maybe two spot welds where the tube slides into the receiver will prevent it from moving, plus can be ground off when I need to replace the tube down the line.

It's an older .44 mag that I've been fixing for a few weeks now. Other than the mag issue, everything else has been worked out and the gun works well.

Thanks for your ideas and opinions.

I just looked on Numrich E-parts and several model '94 mag tubes are available for around $20 or so. If you have a TIG, you could weld the slot back up and file/stone it to new-like dimensions but with new ones available (don't know for sure your model) for pretty cheap, it hardly seems worth the effort unless you wish to keep everything original if possible.

Once the slot is built back up or the tube replaced, Locktite in the receiver will certainly hold it from moving and, if you don't want a semi-permanent bond, other grades could be used vs. Red.

If the factory retention mechanism is repaired, the Locktite will only be used to 'help' it stay tight. I'd be loath to weld the tube into the receiver....even with just light tacks. Cannot see that as being necessary if the slot is repaired and a bit of Locktite used in the receiver.

mag tube

the tube goes thu the front band doesn't it? put the locktite on the band and the tube shoud not move.

Thanks. All fixed now and will get tested tomorrow or the day after.

I ended up filling the screw slot with JB Weld, then, still semi flexible, I pressed the screw in to get the right contour. After it all cured I filed it to the tube's contour, recut the screw slot (it sag a little overnight) and tried it on. Fits like a glove and the tube does not move at all. As a second safety, I put some Loctite where the tube fits into the receiver.

Once it all cures and then some, I load up full mag and test her. Should not move at all now.