Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My stainless Colt Commanding Officer is cracked More pics 56k warning

My stainless Colt Commanding Officer is cracked More pics 56k warning

Take a look at these pictures. Bear in mind this hasn't been dropped or abused. Is there anything I can do to have this repaired? I noticed it after a day at the range. I'm sure it wasn't there when I took it out.

Last edited by Ray62406; August 1st, 2009 at 06:25 PM.

Ya got a macro setting on that camera? Can you at least brace it or use a tripod? I see what may be a scratch on the trigger guard, but can't really tell anything from your pictures.

The pictures were more detailed but I had to compress them for posting. I will try a macro from a tripod. Yes, it is cracked through and can be felt with a fingernail.

I think you have 3 options on that one.

1. Do nothing and hope it will not get any bigger.

2. Call the factory, send them some pictures, and see if it can be replace.

3. Find a very very good welder with a TIG machine and have him weld it.

This last option is going to be visible no matter what you do. I am sure you could work the weld down and make it blend in but it will be visible. The finish will never match. If you do not care to much about the finish, this would be an option.
    Steven
    The "news media" has ceased being the watch dog of the people and has become the apologist for an irresponsible government.

I'd keep shooting it. As annoying as it is, it is not critical. There are only two real repairs, weld and re-heat treat or a new frame. Both are a cumbersome. I think I would keep shooting it and see what else goes wrong first so I know which "evil" to choose.

Call Colt. It looks like a "defect in workmanship or materials" .
    Joe

Call Colt. It looks like a "defect in workmanship or materials"
    I agree.
    rhtwist

I think Colt will move your upper to a new receiver.

EGW has a great reputation for weld repairs to guns, if there is something about this frame you want to keep.
    I have a few facts and a lot of opinions.

I will find out tomorrow if Colt will do anything. I am not in love with the existing frame. This is a good shooter and I enjoy it immensly. I just don't want it coming apart in my hands or a malfunction happening while carrying concealed.
    I hope they will fix it, even if I have to pay a reasonable repair fee.

Since IIRC 1997 Colt has a Lifetime Warranty for defects in quality or workmanship. The manual and several of the Company managers will deny the Lifetime Warranty. I was sent a written letter by Vice President Ms. Rubino confirming the Lifetime Warranty and it was said that all the manuals are out of date!?
    rhtwist

Lexington,North Carolina...or thereabouts
    Definitely a defect.

Mah fren...you just ain't had any luck with Colts at all...have ya?
    Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.
    --Your faithful dog

http://www.collierescue.net/available/index.html

To see my real work:

http://www.pets-r-great.org:80/magaz...ue1/cover.html

Hey 1911Tuner,
    If your talking to me you hit the proverbial nail on the head. Never had a single problem with Colts until 1994 when I bought the first of the last three 1911's. Now I can not endorse their products without close and complete examination, so as not to have to go through their repair center. Schizophrenic is the only way I can describe the repairs they have made or refused on these pistols, great sometimes, poor workmanship with excuses or the famous "within specifications" denial of service. Finally sent the pistol to Wichaka for a full going through. Sorry I missed getting to meet you while in NC. I had to argue with Colt to let them honor their warranty on all original Colt parts and not the EGW stuff I'm having put in. How can you send a pistol back for ejection/extraction problems 4 times and have it come back loosing the empty halfway out of the chamber, cycling and jamming the next round into it? I don't think they like me. But came across a used 1960-70ish Colt Detective Special and being a Coltaholic, I pick it up in five days.
    I believe that Ray62406 should have his frame replaced for free if it falls after the Lifetime Warranty start. And then he should do a complete check on the safeties, click test, milling marks on the feed ramp, proper dimensions on the barrel/feedramp gap, slide rubbing the dustcover, trigger pull and reset and functioning extraction and ejection and send it back again if they are not correct. Experience speaking!
    Take it easy
    rhtwist

I talked to the Colt folks this morning. They want to see it. They say it will be under warranty. I will have it on the way today. Hopefully something can be done.

Great to hear. But please heed my previous advice on the returned and "repaired" firearm. Did they send you a prepaid shipping label or are they going to reimburse you the shipping costs if the do not charge you for the repair?
    Good luck.
    rhtwist

I just sent it. I can absorb the shipping. In fact, I took it to the local Fed Ex franchise store and they had a "We do not ship guns" sign. The clerk looked at the shipping address and nodded. He didn't ask and I didn't tell. I heavily insured it though.

Hey Ray62406,
    From experience I recall that if the firearm is repaired without cost to you, then the shipping expense will be reimbursed, so save the receipt. You might want to confirm this with Colt's CS.
    rhtwist

Aha! Just looked at the top post.
    RH...I thought this was your pistol.

Been Monday all month...
    Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.
    --Your faithful dog

To see my real work:

Ain't it! I haven't been right since I returned from NC!
    rhtwist

Well, Colt won't fix it under warranty. They want $305.00 to repair it. I decided to have them return it and I will put it on Gunbroker, take the money and buy a Kimber. I won't buy another Colt product. I may sell my ar and just get everything Colt out of my safe.
    Their customer service leaves a lot to be desired.

Check drill the crack and carry it.
    --Your faithful dog

To see my real work:

Hello Ray62406,
    I'm interested in why they declined to repair it? What reasons did they give?
    Sorry to hear about they're treatment of another customer.
    rhtwist

They didn't say why. I talked to a customer rep this morning and that's all they said. I am supposed to get a letter in the mail. Maybe it will have something that this guy didn't tell me. Either way it either gets sold or becomes a trunk gun.
    The sad part is I really liked this gun. It is the right size and fit my body perfectly with the iwb holster.

Howdy,
    I'd get a written letter from them with the exact reasons for rejection of warranty, it is built after 1997 isn't it? If not its basically a favor for them to fix it. Then I would contact the next up the chain of command if it is post 1997 as that does appear to be a defect in quality and material. Just a suggestion. Drilling the hole will stop the crack. If the pistol is running good, I understand EGW can do wonders with welding it up, or just shoot it. Good luck. Endeavour to persevere.
    rhtwist

I just got back from a fishing trip and there was a invoice in the mail from Colt for $275.00 for repairs and $30.00 for shipping. It is pre 97 manufacture. I wouldn't care if I had dropped it or abused it to cause the cracks. I am more than willing to accept responsibility for my actions and I will pay for my screw ups if I make one. This has to be a manufacturing defect. I've never ran anything but factory loads through it and I am anal about keeping guns clean and lubed. I guess I need to call them Monday and see if they did ship it back as I didn't give them a credit card number for shipping fees. I'm assuming based on the invoice I won't get it back until I do.
    I'm just disappointed in the quality of this piece. I wasn't until it started cracking. I have put a little over 700 rounds down the pipe and I don't want to send it in after every 700 rounds for a $300.00+ repair. Needless to say I will think twice before buying another Colt product.

I can understand that sentiment, Ray...especially after the fact that they didn't man up and repair or replace what is obviously a defect in the steel on their dime.

That said...It can and does happen to anybody's product. I've got a trio of range beaters that have been through the proverbial mill or literally hundreds of thousands of rounds...and only one slide has failed...and it was in a high-stress area. I can't complain, given the level of punishment that it absorbed over the course of 16 years.

I think that Colt makes a good product. As good as any and better than most in the same price range...but nothing is perfect, and nothing is immune to defective materials.

The problem that I see is the way they handled this. Bad form, Colt. Bad form.
    --Your faithful dog

To see my real work: