Thread: Winchester 270 pump in 22 LR?

Winchester 270 pump in 22 LR?

I've searched and searched, but I can't seem to find any information on my Winchester. My grandfather died and I inherited a Winchester pump .22 labeled Model 270. I've never seen one before, but it's in good condition. The gun seems a bit odd since it has a wood buttstock, but a plastic fore end. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing? I don't really need another .22 pump. Is it worth anything if I want to sell it?

Offhand (I don't have any reference material handy), I recall the Winchester models 250 (lever-action), 270 (slide-action) and 290 (semiauto) were manufactured during the late-1960s. May have lasted into the 1970s (unsure of exact dates). I have a model 250 I received as a Christmas present in 1970 when I was a teen.

The internals of the 250 were somewhat fragile, subject to wear that eventually results in malfunctions. My old 250 has been fired countless thousands of times, and has bagged a whole lotta small game, eliminated quite a few varmints (crows, rattlers, and so forth). Today, it occasionally misfires, but is still a tack-driver. I keep it handy for vermin removal, for nostalgic reasons.

I doubt a 250, 270 or 290 would be worth more than $100, even in excellent condition.

FYI, I think Winchester also marketed a "parallel" series; the models 150, 170 and 190. These were identical in function to the 250, 270 and 290, with a lower grade of wood furniture.

Blue River Wisconsin, in a little hut in the woods
    Made in 63 as a cheap starter gun, those that were shot a lot had a tendency for the barrel to come loose but if its in good shape it should be fine as a plinker. I don't know how long they were made.
    1934 National Firearms Act, 1968 The Gun Control Act, 1986 Firearms Owners Protection Act, 1993 Brady Handguns Violence Act, 1994 Assault Weapons Ban, 1995 Gun Free School Zones Act, NO MORE COMPROMISING

Thanks for the info guys. Much appreciated

I have a 250 and while it is the bastard child of Winchester it shoots very accurate and works flawlessly. There is a 270 at a local shop for $160 I have been thinking of picking up.