Thread: Brady Campaing President, Paul Helmke, to speak in Indianapolis

Brady Campaing President, Paul Helmke, to speak in Indianapolis

The Brady Campaign's president, Paul Helmke, will be speaking Saturday, August 15th, from 6:30-8:30 PM EST at IUPUI (Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis), Room 101, 325 University Blvd, Indianapolis, IN.

This would be a good opportunity to get some people out to protest the ongoing violation of the United States Constitution endorsed by this organization.

Note that IUPUI has a "no firearms" policy which, while not "legal" (in that you can be arrested or charged for violating it) could lead to one being asked to leave if firearms are discovered and failure to do so is chargeable as criminal trespass. If anybody's able to make it out, lets not have any display of weapons that could lead to a confrontation and do our cause more harm than good.

If anybody here is in the Indianapolis area I'd ask that you come to this event tonight and join me and some others in protesting the Brady Campaign's continued assault on the 2nd Amendment.

Used to live in Indy.
    I would be there if I lived there now.

Good luck tonight and you guys keep it real.

My first ever "sign carrying" protest. (Previously, all my political activism has been in the form of letters, passing information around, that sort of thing.)

Had a about half a dozen folk there. Most of the folk went inside to participate in the Q&A session after the presentation. I stayed outside to watch the signs (even picked up the "Hoosiers concerned about Gun Violence" sign when the wind blew it over--I still believe in courtesy). Not a great turnout, but then, it was a very short-warning issue.

Had some press there (reporter for the Indianapolis Star and news folk from Channel 13) who were not overtly hostile. The indystar reporter took the names and emails of several of us (myself included) for possible interview on a piece about gun ownership and gun rights later. Unfortunately, I don't get local channels so I will be unable to see the news piece unless somebody puts it on youtube or something.

Pictures on the signs (c) Oleg Volk and used with permission.

News "coverage" (such as it was) of the event:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIANwSSqmiA