Thread: Winchester 1400 replacement barrel?

Winchester 1400 replacement barrel?

Hey, all! I think this may be my first shotgun post. Ever. Wow!

Anyway, about five months back, I got a heckuva deal on a Winchester 1400 ($100, out the door ) 12 gauge at a pawn shop. The gun works great, but one of the previous owners had decided to make it a house gun by cutting the barrel down to 18.5". Now, they did it pretty well, looks like they used a pipe cutter on it, the cut is straight and smooth, so I have no problems with it from that standpoint.

But a couple of buddies are wanting me to go dove hunting with them. I'm guessing that I need a longer barrel to really be effective at fowling with this shottie, don't I? Whether I really need it or not, I'd like to get a new barrel, so that I have...options. Problem is, in looking out at Gunbroker, I'm not seeing anyone who's just selling barrels. And, as much as I love the gun, I'm not paying $350 to get another one. I don't really need another one THAT badly.

So, is there anywhere that I can order a new barrel? Also, I hear that this model made a comeback somewhere in the 90s as the Mk II? Are those barrels still interchangeable to the old 1400 receiver?

As always, thanks in advance for any help or advice!
    Last edited by Kalindras; August 26th, 2009 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Clarification
    Sheepishly admitting to it, since 1993.

http://www.corsonsbarrels.com/
    http://www.barrelexchange.com/
    Good luck. in my neck of the woods, they don't let one hunt with a "shottie".

Wow, thanks!

I appreciate the help!

They won't even let you hunt birds with shotguns? Dang. What do they expect you to do, hit 'em with a .22?

Oh, well. Thanks again!

Shotguns yes, shotties no.

Do-wubby?

Er...okay, I was a back-of-the-class kinda kid...I think I slept through some important info here...

What's the difference? I don't wanna confuse anyone in future posts...least of all myself!!

barrel

numrick has barrels.try them

Aaaaarrgghhh! *claws face*

Well, I looked out on Numrich's website, and true enough, they DO list barrels for the 1400 (some of them are even affordable--i.e., less than twice what I paid for the gun! ). But, as I seem to encounter on EVERY SINGLE ITEM that I search for on Numrich, they show, "This item is currently sold out."

Here I was, slapping my head and saying to myself, "Hey, that's a GREAT idea! Why hadn't I looked at Numrich, yet?" Weeeell, I answered my own question, there. Hit the same thing when I went out there to look for parts for my 2A Enfield. Maybe I just need to buy more mainstream stuff...I bet I could score a new barrel for an 870 or a 500 with no problems.

Anyone got one they want to sell, stupid-cheap? Heh...didn't think so!

Oh, well...back to da Internet. Thanks for the suggestions, though!

google the kittery trading post in kittery maine and check their used guns section...there is a barrel only section..bought two so far (rem 870 &1100) both under $100 and in exactly in the condition as advertised..good people..Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Kalindras
    Anyone got one they want to sell, stupid-cheap?
    Well, yeah if you really want it. I have a 28" fixed full choke plain (not ribbed) barrel for a 1400 MKII that I don't use anymore. However, when steel shot first became mandatory for water fowl, not knowing any better at the time, I shot about 25 shells of steel shot through it. At home that night cleaning the shotgun I noticed that there was a very slight bulge just before the choke. I never shot steel in it again, but shot lead through it for several years after that (and seems to pattern well) before I purchased a new ribbed winchoke barrel for the shotgun.

My brother has wanted to cut this one down and I've always stopped him because there isn't really anything wrong with it. I just don't use it anymore. If interested I'll attempt to post some pictures or send them to you via email. Let me know.
    NRA Benefactor
    MSSA Life Member

By the way, I purchased my new 1400 barrel from here...they still have some...

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/merch...de=1400barrels
    NRA Benefactor
    MSSA Life Member

Wow...

So, I went out Dove hunting yesterday. Other than a total lack of birds (I think we SAW about fifty, including the ones on power lines and the little 'speck on the horizon' ones... ), I found out a couple of truths about my shotgun:

1) It doesn't like Winchester 7-1/2 shot loads; Remington 8's, no problem.

2) Short barrels SUCK for birding.

There, now I've reinvented the wheel. Off to find a barrel...

I still have the one described above if you are interested. Not sure if a Mk II barrel fits your older gun though.
    NRA Benefactor
    MSSA Life Member

do you still have the mkii barrel

]im looking for a mkii barrel my grandfather give me the gun and the barrel has been cut and im in bad need for one before i give it to my son you can call me at 912 282 6633 or 912 286 7969
    Quote Originally Posted by HuntAndFish View Post
    I still have the one described above if you are interested. Not sure if a Mk II barrel fits your older gun though.