Thread: .308 to 7.62x39 adapter

.308 to 7.62x39 adapter

What I would like to do is to use one of the MCA .308 to 7.62x39 adapters on a Stevens 200 chambered in .308. My goal is to make an affordable dedicated bolt action rifle chambered in 7.62x39. My questions are have anyone tried this with the Stevens? What are the odds feeding and extracting reliably? Is this even worth pursuing?

Thanks,
    It takes three people to do anything around here. Two do the work , one explains to the crowd of people who showed up when they seen smoke and flames.

Even if you get the adapter to stick in the chamber and not extract with a case you WON'T have a dependable rifle!

The 7.62 X 39 M43 case head is enough smaller than the case head of the .308 Win. that the extractor can skip at any time.

The 12 mm shorter case also WILL NOT feed reliably and repeatably in the mag for the .308 Win. round.

If you want a dependable bolt gun in 7.62 X 39 BUY it built for that caliber!

Buckshot

Also, most, if not all, commercial x39 ammo is loaded with .310" or .311" bullets. To get the correct bullets of .308", you'd have to reload as a gaurentee. Yes the bullets would swage down to the bore diameter, but this would surely increase pressures. Also, I don't know what this would do to accuracy.

Wyman

I have a 9mm version made by him for my .35 Whelen. No issues with it functioning as designed. However, in that case it's a single shot since you extract the conversion and pop the 9mm out of it.

For what I wanted and my expectations it great for twenty some bucks!
    "He who dares wins."
    NRA Life Benefactor Member

Clinging to my guns and religion, smalltown America
    I hear sometimes these aren't as temporary as they're supposed to be
    The most dangerous north American land animal is the RINO

"I hear sometimes these aren't as temporary as they're supposed to be"

Indeed. This line from the web site caught my eye:

"A broken shell extractor will remove the adapter and return the gun to it's original caliber. If you are careful, the adapter is reusable!"

This sounds much too iffy for me.

Tim

I am really not worried about how temporary it really is as this would be a dedicated 7.62x39 rifle, I already have a .308.
    It takes three people to do anything around here. Two do the work , one explains to the crowd of people who showed up when they seen smoke and flames.

After shooting groups I can cover with a quarter at 100 yards with both my .308 Remington ADL and my 7.62x39 Saiga, I really have no desire to try to morph one into the other. All cartridges seem to have better range than we have sight, so having a "dual use" gun is really asking for trouble. The .308 was designed for it's caliber and the 7.62x39 was designed for it's caliber.

Guns aren't supposed to work like an idiot buys shoes... they wear a size 6, but a 7 feels so good they buy an 8. Guns designed for dual use, like frame sets with the EAA Witness series pistols are designed for different calibers, but picking up some half baked "conversion kit" to turn your gun into a different caliber is both dangerous and idiotic, unless you're switching to a lower level round, like a .22 LR... and even then, the parts need to fit and work together.

People seem to forget that pistols and rifles are "controlled and contained explosions". Putting too much pressure into a barrel might blow the barrel out, or it might blow the action back through your face.

Gun design is both a science and an art, and monkeying around with the barrel pressures is how you invent a catastrophe... which is why most companies void their warranties if you shoot reloads. Powder loads and bullet weights give a lot of different results, so "just because it fits doesn't mean it's a good idea to stick it in and pull the trigger".

I used to design and build high pressure boilers for a living, and just because I could make one create a particular pressure didn't mean that it could operate at that pressure... and that doesn't mean it might blow up immediately, but after repeated overpressures and coolings, the metal does a lot of things that most novices don't understand... work hardening, changing brittleness and hardness, all kinds of very minute things that can change your barrel into a bomb.

Do what I did... get two guns.

WT
    "What man is a man that does not make the world a better place?"... from "Kingdom of Heaven"
    True patriots feel that there is no problem in our Republic that cannot be solved by election, windage and elevation, or superior firepower.

Thanks for all the comments and advise. After much thought I have decided to abandon this project. I was just hoping there was a way for me to get a decent 7.62x39 bolt action rifle without shelling out over $600. Thanks again.

I have seen ruger and cz in 7.62 x 39and a remington. Look for a used one, they are great guns and the ammo still is less expensive than .308. I liked the CZ-527, but I was not keen on the way the magazine stuck out in front of the triggerguard.

You should be able to get a barrel threaded for a Savage/Stevens action chambered 7.62x39 for around $100 and an appropriate bolt head for $75.

With that out of the way, it shouldn't be too big a deal to tweak the magazine feed lips to work.
    "Prefiero morir de pie que vivir siempre arrodillado!"

Pick up a CZ in 7.62x39 if you're looking for a bolt action chamber for the Russian round.

adapters

any of you have an adapter???if you did you would know they work great.
    I have several not by that company.mine date from the 1900 to after WW2.
    the one he was asking about slip in and out,they dont stick in chamber.the one that gets apoxied is the 30/06 to 308,the navy used them.the ones I have use 32acp and the case fits in back so the firing pin hits the primer.the extracter pulls it out.if you had several you could make it a bolt repeater.just like the adapters the army had as trainers.

Just get a single shot x39 and call it a day.
    There are two kinds of people in the world: (1) the free; and (2) food animals.

-Aristodemus