Thread: Hunting whitetail deer with .30 carbine?

Hunting whitetail deer with .30 carbine?

Does anyone have any experience with this? Simply from a shooting perspective, I find my M1 carbine to be the easiest and most accurate rifle that I have for off-hand shooting. I'm just not sure if it has enough power. I have some hollow point .30 carbine rounds on order.

I have no such experience. But whitetail are routinely hunted with .357 Magnums. And arrows.

If you are willing to take only the best heart-shot at an appropriate distance, I can't see how .30 carbine is going to fail.

A local one armed fellow hunted with one for years and did well.

.30 Carbine vs. whitetail deer...

Gingerbread Man (Loved yr performance in "Shrek"!)--One of the largest bucks I have ever seen was taken with a .30 carbine with one shot through the engine room. Now, it WAS a close shot, but it was a clean kill.

If your hunting will keep you within, say, 50 yd of the deer, for example in a close brushy swamp, I'd have no problem blessing your hunting the wily whitetail with a .30 carbine. It's an extremely light, fast-handling weapon; easy to bring to bear in tight conditions.

Now, if you're out on the prairies, where the deer and the antelope play, and your shots could be from 10 to an easy 350 yds, then you're clearly better off with a longer-range weapon. And there I would have a discouraging word, or several, for the little carbine.

But up close and personal?? That's what it was made for!

Ammo: Hollow points are the way to go! Any softpoint is legal, most localities. FMJ's are both illegal and unethical.
    Last edited by Smokey Joe; September 29th, 2009 at 01:08 PM. Reason: The usual--Had another thought.
    God Bless America

Smokey Joe

Blue River Wisconsin, in a little hut in the woods
    Agree with the above posts except I wouldn't be afraid to take a 100 yard shot if you can put the rounds where they belong at that range. Equivalent to a 357 except the carbine shoots a smaller bullet with a flatter trajectory. Delivered power is nearly the same and I have taken deer at longer ranges with my 357. Old eyes restrict my handgun shooting at live animals to under 60 yards now and that would be a good range for the carbine too.

Just personal preference on my part but I prefer SP bullets for hunting over hollow points because of the penetration and weight retained by the bullet. I didn't even know they made 30 cal carbine in HP.
    1934 National Firearms Act, 1968 The Gun Control Act, 1986 Firearms Owners Protection Act, 1993 Brady Handguns Violence Act, 1994 Assault Weapons Ban, 1995 Gun Free School Zones Act, NO MORE COMPROMISING

my brother in law told me a story of when his father went hunting with an m1 carbine he said his dad has in one field he was in the other then all of a sudden he hear bam bam bam bam bam bam bam bam......... so he went to the field and said "dad, didja get him?" his dad said "nope but i sure did make him run fast"

lol the carbine will work fine if you can shoot it i wouldnt use it on large deer like in kansas but the ones in eastern nc its just fine
    "It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds." --Sam Adams
    PAUL-NUGENT 2012
    USAF april 19th 2011-_____

carbine

I had a friend who shot deer with carbine.I had loaded 50 rds with a 170 gr bullet 311291 lyman.he move to SC and killed them,as Mass is shotgun only.
    I never knew until I moved here and he told me he got 5,each with one shot.I did not doubt him as he was very honest.he past away few yrs ago.
    he and I hunted Maine and he was an excelent shot.and a real hunter.

Clinging to my guns and religion, smalltown America
    Check the legality
    The most dangerous north American land animal is the RINO

.30 Carbine HP's...

Old Grump: Speer makes the bullets. .30 Cal, 110 grain, .308" Hollow Point, p/n 1835. I load 'em as per the CMP recommendations.

According to the CMP, and I agree, it makes no ballistic difference whether you shoot FMJ's, softpoints, or hollow points out of the M1 Carbine. External ballistics, that is. Terminal ballistics are obviously going to differ.
    Last edited by Smokey Joe; October 4th, 2009 at 08:32 PM. Reason: The usual--had another thought.
    God Bless America

Smokey Joe

It is legal to hunt deer with a .30 Carbine rifle in certain places in Iowa. I might just have to try it some time.
    You can have free speech or you can have income taxes but you cannot have both.

i've killed 4 deer with a 30 carbine 2 with a GI carbine and 2 with a ruger blackhawk , none over 50yds

1...Distance and ideal placement is the key to killing anything. Deer are similar.

2...I have always felt the 30 Carbine is fine and dandy, as long as you obey number 1.

Regards

Anything that will kill a 150-250 pound man will certainly kill a 100-250 pound deer. That being said, I plan to hunt deer with my new Cx4 .40 in Indiana this year.
    Actively seeking a used, cosmetically flawed .357 lever rifle. PM me with offers.
    The New England Journal of Medicine is filled with expert advice about guns; just like Guns & Ammo has some excellent treatises on heart surgery.
    Come join the Second Amendment March, and help reclaim your birthrights as an American

Anything that will kill a 150-250 pound man will certainly kill a 100-250 pound deer.
    Well sure, a .22 or a rock will kill a man but they might not be the best choices to hunt with. You can kill an elephant with an AK, but it was never the first choice of big game hunters.

I would be very careful about shot placement, distance and ammo selection. In fact I would not do it, but hunt with rifle instead.

"...Speer makes the bullets..." Been using 'em for years with IMR4227. Hunted groung hogs with 'em. Wouldn't think twice about using it for our big, corn fed, deer. Can't hunt with a carbine, up here, any more. They're evil now. Unless you can find a 19" barrel.
    "...kill a 150-250 pound man will certainly kill a 100-250 pound deer..." Not really. People go down a whole lot faster than any deer.

Depends on the placement, and the man. Similar to deer. IMHO
    Bad shooting happens all the time.
    M1 catches a lot of flack, check out the ballistics of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.30_Carbine

Then check out the pistol cartridges, that everyone is keen on...

Regards

As it has been said, check the legality!

In Indiana, for example, it would be illegal out of a rifle and a pistol.

(Some are legal out of a pistol, but not rifle. Some are legal out of both)

-J-

I know an old farmer that took several whitetails with his .30 carbine.

Administrator   
    Ladies and gentllmen, this thread has been bumped by a spammer.

Please check your post dates before you respond to any "letters from the past" or "messages on a 2-year-old answering machine"
    "Tactical" is a mindset, not an equipment list.

Home | Forum | Blog | ❏ PicPaste | ImgDump |☎ Nalioth