Thread: Ruger SP101 as ccw.. how to carry it?

Ruger SP101 as ccw.. how to carry it?

So when I get to Nevada end of month, and after some settling in time, looking at getting a ccw license.

Probably will be carrying my SP101 2" snub. But as I was on a road trip this week, I was wondering where (on the body) and what (holster/holster style) would be the easiest so getting in and out of a car would be simple, and long rides with a ccw would have minimal disturbance..

Thanks!
    Не умеете, научим. Не хотите, заставим!

And.. I'm sure someone will recommend a ccw ammo to go along..

I carry mine in a Don Hume 721 rig. For the money, it is an awesome holster. There are many other, equally good or even better rigs, but most have a longer wait than what I was willing to wait.

Look for the SP101 thread here, it has a pic of the holster (although mine is a 3 1/16" barrel).

There are by far many more holsters or the 2" version, and even Ruger offers a good one (Galco) on their website, albeit a bit overpriced.

Currently carry with 180gr SJHP, until I find a box of 125gr. The 180 has a considerable recoil with the small handle.

Did you change the grip or is it stock? I have the hogue grip, but it's a bit too tacky for ccw I think.. maybe the pachmayr is better for ccw use?

changed the grip to the Hogue, but soon discovered that rapid follow-up shots were going to the left. The grip tilts in my hand, as it is too narrow vs say grip on a GP100. I'm in the process of making a wood grip for mine. (first attempt, anyways)

But the Hogue conceals okay with a t-shirt. It is more tacky vs the stock grip, but I haven't found it to be an issue.

I'm a big fan of the Pachmayr Compac grip for the SP-101. As far as holsters go, I use a Milt Sparks VM II IWB.
    "The whole reason behind carrying a gun for self-defense is that you're worried about the stakes more than the odds." --Marko Kloos

"Carry your gun. It is a lighter burden than regret." --Breda

http://www.activeprogear.com/76.html

This is what I use for my SP101 2 1/4" . It's held close to my side at 3:00 oclock with the belt being over the holster (as shown in picture) not behind it. Can be worn either way. I prefer the belt over, holds it very snug. You do need a strong supportive belt.. Works for either gun style, semi auto or revolver.
    NRA Life, OFCC, BFA, U.S. Army Veteran 1962-68.
    Guns have only two enemies, rust & LIBERALS

when I ccw'ed my spI used a desantis thumb break holster.I put it in between my belt and pants,and the belt pulled it real close to my body(in the waiste band never wored for me,but this did)..I put a set of Houge wood grips on it(nice and smooth)for carry..but for a long range session,I switched to the rubber ones.
    for ammo I used 135 gr 38+p(gold dot)..also carried 2 speed loaders in my back pockets.
    good gun ,wish I still had mine,but like I usually do,I sold it in a moment of "I need this new gun"weakness.
    People call me ignorant and apathetic....I tell them,"I don't know what that means and I don't care...."

My Sp101 wears the stock grips with wood panels in a Bianchi pro100 IWB holster and has Federal 38+p158 LSWCHPs in it going to switch to Remingtons once I see if it will get through 10 rounds without leading so bad it starts key-holing.
    Last edited by mavracer; October 17th, 2009 at 02:59 PM. Reason: add pic
    rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6
    originally posted my Mike Irwin
    My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
    The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."

I'm lookin' probably to carry .38Spls instead of 357maggies because those just hurt the hand in such a small gun..

That active pro wear holster seems really nice and perfect for such a small gun..Thanks!

I carry mine either OWB or in a pocket. Stoked with Federal 125 grn SJHP 357 mag.
    I walk where the Devil dances. Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum (If you want peace prepare for war) Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war and my fingers to fight. Psalms 144:1 Proud holder of a Texas open carry permit.

Quote Originally Posted by twoblink
    I'm lookin' probably to carry .38Spls instead of 357maggies because those just hurt the hand in such a small gun..

That active pro wear holster seems really nice and perfect for such a small gun..Thanks!
    Speer makes a .357 135gr JHP Gold Dot "Short Barrel" and it' supposed to have lighter recoil.

I just bought a 2 1/4" SP101 and I want to try a variety of CCW loads that won't generate a huge fireball or feel like a 12 gauge

For a CCW holster, check out the Silver Dollar Pancake from Simply Rugged. This holster can be worn on a belt or IWB with the optional "inside/outside" straps. These holsters have gotten good reviews on the Ruger forums.
    George S.
    Ruger fan but master of none

110gr Federal Hydrashocks should fit the bill. It even says "Low recoil" on the package.

I think the Milt Sparks PMK is the most comfortable holster in the world for the SP101. OTOH, these little guns are small enough to carry comfortably enough many different ways. I previously used Galco Concealables.

I like the factory grip, and magnum ammo. If it hurts to shoot the more powerful stuff, try holding HIGH on the grip. The difference is like night and day. Also, avoid the fast-accelerating full-pressure 125-grain stuff. The difference is like night and day. I can shoot the 180-grain Federal Castcore hunting load in comfort, because I hold high, and heavier-bullet loads seem to accelerate less suddenly that stuff like the Federal Classic Hi-Shok, or whatever Federal calls their full-pressure 125 load these days.

There are milder 125-grain loads, such as the Remington Golden Saber, and IIRC, the Cor-bon solid copper load is also a 125. The Speer "Short Barrel" 135 is also mild. The Winchester Silvertip 145 is a load that is between mid-magnum and full-pressure, and is also quite SP101-friendly.

I think the SP101 .357 is one of the top compact carry guns on the planet, and own four of them, with various barrel lengths and hammer configurations. If Ruger released a 4" or 5" version, as a limited edition, I would stand in line in the rain to get at least one, preferably two. (My wife likes the SP101, too.)

Edited to add: Congratulations on your little pocket rocket, and also on your move to a free state!
    Have Colts, will travel.

+1 for the simply rugged Silver Dollar Pancake- just got one for my LCR and am a big fan. Have to dress accordingly, but isn't that the case with most any carry rig?

As far as ammo... this round: http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/cat...roducts_id=215 should be more than ample and not too painfull in the heavy SP. Not quite the "Hammer of Thor" Federal 357B load, but certainly will do the trick if ever called upon.
    The revolver- not as clumsy or random as an automatic, a more elegant weapon of a more civilized age.

I carry my Ruger Sp-101 in a Comp-Tac 2 O'Clock Carry (meant for appendix carry) and it is just a perfect (to me) carry combination. I replaced the OE Ruger grips with Hogues and they fit my hand better.
    GOOD SHOOTING

ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISON AND HEARING

I carry my Colt Detective Special in a holster I made. This holster can be worn as an OWB (pancake style), as an IWB, or as an IWB tuckable. I can't upload a picture (exceeds quota), but if you like I can email you one.