Thread: broken barrel link botched gunsmithing

broken barrel link botched gunsmithing

Back in June a new STI Trubor I bought broke a barrel link after 200 rounds. It went back to the selling dealer for warranty. I wanted a new barrel fitted because of the severe burring on the upper locking grooves due to the barrel not unlocking from the slide.This was not done. Instead it was run over a linisher ( see barrel photo ) you can see the normally square shoulders are now rounded. The dealer told me there was a bunch of faulty links thats why it broke.I assumed the gun was repaired when it was sent back until I stripped it and saw the botched job that was done. I had done a lot of research and bought books and dvd's on gunsmithing in the time it was away. The reason the link broke was the barrels rear lower lugs were machined .020'' to far forward from the factory, did some comparative measuring from another known good barrel, so when the gun fired the link was preventing the rear lower lugs from hitting the frames vertical impact surface therefore taking all the strain,that link held up for 200 rounds. The fix this dealers gunsmith did was to file out ( around .026'' larger ) and grind the link until the 2 impact surfaces hit when the gun cycled.031.jpg

046.jpg

043.jpgThe amount of slop in the breach end of the barrel was huge.you can see the photos of a new factory link compared to the butchered link...It is now at another gunsmith (2 months now) and I am still waiting for the promised replacement barrel from the selling dealer..
    Last edited by skolten; October 24th, 2009 at 10:20 PM. Reason: spelling mistakes

new gun

why did not the dealer send it to the factory.if it was made wrong the factory is the one to replace parts.having seen the gunsmiths thru the yrs most are parts replace ment types.

Twice is coincidence.........

I then cleaned the STI and discovered the link from the barrel to the frame had a crack in it. I have fired about 300 rounds after getting it back from the factory and it has to go back to the shop for another repair. And that means I'm carrying the Gun Blog 45 for self-defense until I get the STI back........When the gun was at the factory earlier they told me the barrel had been installed wrong but it probably would be okay. I guess the prediction was in error
    The Boomershoot guy

STI has good customer service and quick turn around times. I'd take it back from the second gun smith and send it back to STI.

get in contact with david cupp at sti