Thread: breech plug stuck hard.

breech plug stuck hard.

Hi guys. I have a thompson inline muzzleloader that I didnt take care of. I went to clean it and I cant get the breech plug out. I had a small wrench provided by TC and It broke. So I soaked it in wd 40 and came back an hour later. no better. So I read on different forums that you pour hot water down the barrel and wait 15 minutes. tried that. Broke the male tip off a socket adapter.

Any suggestions that help me get the plug out would be much appreciated.

thanks
    PD

ps it is righty tighty lefty loosey yes?

Plugged good...

You should plug the primer hole (inert primer?), then put some Liquid Wrench or Kroil in to soak, these are better penetrating oils than WD-40 -- maybe warm up the breech area with a blow dryer too, and use a rawhide or plastic mallet to whack the side of the breech a few times to loosen any crud and get the oils to fully penetrate.

On my Omega, I NEVER tighten the plug "snug", I always back it off a hair, and check it (back it off some, them snug, then back a hair) every 5 or so rounds at the range. Then I "gorfot" to do that the other day, and fired about 10+ rounds -- had to put a 1/2" ratchet with a 12" handle + 24" "cheater bar" (length of pipe on it) to brake it loose.

Hope these ideas work for you, and don't forget to do as T/C says and lube both the internal threads AND the plug itself with their awesome BP lube.

Good luck!

Old No7
    "Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." 2000 DTH

Do they use buttress threads in those plugs?

If I recall correctly, one of the characteristics of buttress threads is they are easier to unscrew.
    Trouble is, these jerkwads can pass dumb, self-serving, agenda-driven stupid laws much faster than we can beat them down in the courts. And they're well aware of that.

I'd rather listen to you guys than the finest gentlemen on earth! used liquid wrench and the cheater bar with a new adapter and it worked.

thanks much no 7

now i got to get me some lube for the threads.

Yes, TC's super lube is the best development for inline muzzleloaders that I've found. Works GREAT!

Success!!!

Great -- GLAD it worked for ya and THANKS for letting us know!

Old No7
    "Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." 2000 DTH

Had some luck once by applying some dry ice to a stuck breechplug ; the cold shrunk the breechplug just enough for me to break it loose. Glad you got your problem sorted out!
    "What's good for me might not be good for the weak-minded."- Augustus McRae