Thread: Trying something new, the "Kholster"

Trying something new, the "Kholster"

Well,
    I'm about to try something new (new to me anyway), the KHolster.
    It should arrive soon and after I've tried it out a bit I'll post a review and let you all know what I think.
    "The dogs bark, but the caravan moves on"

I purchased the "Full Moon" (that still makes me laugh) in a left handed configuration for the SIG 229.

(photo from KHolster webpage)

The KHolster arrived much more quickly than expected (nice surprise) so I spent the better part of a day wearing it, adjusting it, wearing it some more, adjusting....and so forth. The upside of this design is that I could move the belt clips into a LOT of different positions resulting in a different cant, or a higher (or lower) carry position. The downside is that I found myself occupied for quite some time with finding the position that was right for me. However, once I did finally find the right position, it was the RIGHT position if you know what I'm saying.

The belt clips are nicely heavy though perhaps a bit tight in their closure, I had to re-bend mine just a touch to get them to play nice with my 1.5" dual layer bullhide "the beltman" belt.

One of the nice things is that cutting the leather of this holster does NOT violate the warranty so since the "cup" of the holster is attached and would not be "adjusted" like the belt clips it wasn't long before I used my favorite OWB holster (Don Hume H721 O.T.) as a template to trim the top of the holster into just a "protective flap" bodyshield between me and the gun. This improved my draw considerably as I was now more easily able to get behind the grip.

I then spent some more time wearing the holster and soon decided to trim off some of the excess leather from the bottom, rear area as well since it made a funny crease in my pants. It was also about this time that my wife commented that she "noticed" the holster more because it was the light natural tan against my dark shirt, dark pants, and dark gun (I was carrying "open but IWB" around the house while I experimented). So I took a bit of Kiwi black leather dye I had around and "blacked" the top of the holster leather.

I then wore the holster daily, all day, from Nov 20'th to Nov 29.

I have tried IWB before and (mostly due to my weight...sigh) I've found it intolerable. Not the case with this rig. Once I got it all adjusted and trimmed to my satisfaction I found it to be quite comfortable overall. Perhaps not the "forget you are wearing it" comfortable that some mention, but very usable which is a serious improvement from my previous IWB experiences.

At least one immediate benefit was easier access to my left front pocket (were I habitually keep my car keys) that pocket slit is usually covered or at least interfered with by my usual OWB holster.

I was pretty sure I was going to like this rig initially and it is slowly growing on me even more.

One change I would make is to have a set of wider clips so that it works better with very thick belts.

Beyond that, I am very pleased so far and would recommend this product to a friend and I may buy one for my Bersa Thunder .380 as well.

http://www.kholster.com/

(Pictures pending)

Give us the rebate code already.

I want one.
    Jahwarrior said: I could've given them my ID, but I am right, and obstinate about being so. so, yes,I could've ended it by just cooperating, but that would have hypocritical, lazy, and cowardly.

I will be ordering one soon. Looking forward to trying it out.
    NRA life member, Support Our Troops,
    Pointman Ministries Member
    MMCDC Member

A lot like the Cross Breed. Nice pricing.
    Mark Lawrence

Ever do something really lame-brained like not proof reading you screen name? Nope me neither.

UPDATE: With Photos

Jimmy McDonnell, the owner of KHolster read my review...and immediately contacted me saying he'd send me a new set of wider clips that should take care of my "thick belt" issue. They arrived today and I mounted them on the holster and they are just the ticket!

The trimmed up and partially dyed KHolster, a SIG 229, and my favorite OWB holster (Don HumeH721 OT) which was the template I eventually used to "trim" the KHolster.

A "top-down" view of the two holsters.

A "Back" view showing the protective body flap of the Don Hume holster.

The same effect with the KHolster. (Yes the Don Hume is far more "form fitting" now, but it has years of wear on it. The KHolster is starting to "mold" already and I'm sure it'll be form fitting too before very long).

The stock belt clips. Very good quality but too narrow for my extra thick "The Beltman" belt. You can see how tightly they are clamped onto the belt.

The replacement clips from Jimmy. Every bit as solid, but enough larger that I can now slide the KHolster back and forth a bit to "settle" it in just the right position.

A good quality product backed by outstanding customer service! Great Job Jimmy!

KHolster..... Recommended!

Ownership Update

As is my habit, here is a "long term" ownership update on the Kholster.

Since the last post (Dec 2009) I have worn the Kholster a LOT! It has continued to mold to the shape of the gun and to my person and has been an effective and comfortable holster to use.

In terms of "wear and tear" the holster looks and feels essentially unchanged from when I first got it. All parts and components are handling daily wear very well and I am quite pleased.

The only recommendation I would have is to order your Kholster with the "rough" side of the leather towards your body and not towards the gun as I think this would help keep the platform more stable. Mine has the smooth leather against my body and if I'm moving quickly I can feel it wanting to shift sometimes (then again a SIG 229 is a heavy gun that is hard to keep from moving around).

The Kholster has been a fine product and worth the money spent.

Thanks a lot for the report & the update! I essentially copied the Kholster to make my own IWB holster I've been wearing for the last couple weeks. I put the rough side of the leather toward me as you suggested and it does seem to be good idea. This and a good stiff belt have allowed me to carry my 3" GP100 as comfortably as I used to carry my SP101, and amazingly, it actually conceals better. The secret is indeed being able to put the gun at the right position for you.