Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Your favorite cap and ball revolver

Sorta off topic, but revolving carbine fans might be interested .... Taurus is introducing a Judge model carbine sometime this year($600 range i think).
    gmac

I'm an 1858 Remmie fanatic... I just GAVE a buddy of mine a stainless 58 remmie 44 cal. what was I thinking I figured I could spare it to help make another black powder convert.
    I got a new 1911 for my wife... I think it was a pretty good trade.

New toy alert.

The 2nd Gen case is new as is the top stainless steel 1860. It is a Uberti 1860 made in 1985 and imported by Allen Firearms of Santa Fe NM. The bottom pistol and accessories are 2nd Generation Colt. In comparing the the two revolvers, the Uberti is bright polished while the Colt is a matt finish. Other than that and the markings, they are indistinguishable (which is not surprising since Uberti provided the castings to Colt)

Euroarms Rogers & Spencer, made in 1979, SN71XX, finish worn with pitting on the barrel, cylinder and frame. This pistol got knocked around a long time; but appears to have never been fired. The nipples are as clean and fresh as the day it was made, no marks on the hammer, bore & chambers are pristine. I probably never was shot cause the rammer would not go in the chambers. The channel in the frame did not line up with the chambers so the plunger was unable to seat a ball. Had to use some fine grinding and polishing wheels on my Dremel to open it up enough to allow the plunger in the chambers.

Uberti Leech and Rigdon made in 1973. Worn finish but solid lockup, no rattle and bright shiney bore & chambers.

And finally, 2nd Gen Cavalry Commemorative - Friend made me an offer I couldn't refuse on price. Pistols have been smoothed, treso nipples installed and used in CAS matches. I'll use these. Already have a NIB set with original packaging for the 'collection'.

Now all I need is a couple days of good weather - above freezing - so I can go try them all out.
    Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee = AKA Man of many Colt's - alter ego of Diabolical Ken,
    SASS 28654-L-TG; Rangemaster, Frontiersman/Pistoleer
    "Cynic: A Blackguard whose faulty visions sees things as they are, not as they should be." Ambrose Bierce

...above freezing - so I can go try them all out.
    Trust me; they work just fine below freezing too.
    You might need a different lube, though, 'cause some of the stuff gets pretty stiff in the cold. Don your snowshoes and get ye to the range.

Yeah, They may work just fine below freezing........But.......... I don't too many days in the German winter on combat vehicles.
    Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee = AKA Man of many Colt's - alter ego of Diabolical Ken,
    "Cynic: A Blackguard whose faulty visions sees things as they are, not as they should be." Ambrose Bierce

Third Generation Signature Colt that has had just about every other part break or fall off in recent years. Now mended again, and works well.

...just about every other part break or fall off in recent years.
    That's a lot of breakage. How much have you fired the thing?
    (and a Mk VII is a saxophone, among other things no doubt. You a sax player?)

A fair amount, but not excessively, I thought. Certainly not as much as the Ruger OA (of which I've also broken the tip of the hand)
    Most recently I had to make a new locking pin for the cylinder arbor pin. Before that the rammer catch fell out (replaced with 1860 Army one).

Before that the rammer catch fell out (replaced with 1860 Army one).
    How the heck did you do that? replace a pivoting lever with a creeping lever???
    A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”

Steve, He replaced the catch.

You cut the dovetail larger (the original was hardly worthy of the name of dovetail at all)

Took my buddy to the range to teach him to shoot thr 58 remmie i gave him. As a preacher of the word of the black powder, I have turned another poor sole to the blessed love of black powder. He's a true convert. The look in his eyes when he touched off that 44 was a combination of joy, and amazement. He is now thinkin he might just have to get a 50 cal muzzleloader. I love turning people to the dark side... of shooting.
    I got a new 1911 for my wife... I think it was a pretty good trade.

Loading lever catches on 2nd Gen Colts are the thin style catch that was on all original '51 Navies up till the Late 4th Models around 1863. Reason being, a second model '51 Navy was used as the pattern.

The thick catch was one of the improvements Colt made in the 1860 Army and 1861 Navy. Most current '51 Navy reproductions will have the thick catches. Older ones could have either.

Steve, He replaced the catch.
    I see, said the blind man.

I have had four days of dry weather so I got out to shoot yesterday. Mostly centerfire rifle but I did dirty up a Dragoon and both my new Starr revolvers.

50 rounds of .303, 7.62 and 150 of 5.56(bullet hose), from six different rifles. Only 48 .44's. I'll be cleaning and watching nascar today. Plus some anti-inflammatories for my shoulder! I'm sore this morning.
    A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”

This thread has some of the best percussion revolver pictures out there, and should not languish.
    I didn't get a new pistol, but I did buy a CSA gunbelt..

And holster....

... for my Spiller and Burr.

The only thing nearly as good as buying a new pistol is getting neat stuff for an old one.
    "Your firing is very good. Keep at it, every shot is telling" Admiral Horace Hood, on board HMS Invicible, shortly before she exploded.

I've really got a fetish for a LeMat. The only C&B sixgun I have right now is an 1851 Navy repro in .36.

If you only have one percussion revolver, the '51 Navy is a fine choice.
    "Your firing is very good. Keep at it, every shot is telling" Admiral Horace Hood, on board HMS Invicible, shortly before she exploded.

all of them

Never shot it, but my only cap and ball...

Griswold and Gunnison reproduction

My original is my favorite, of course.
    http://SharpPointyThings.com
    http://www.MichaelZWilliamson.com

FREEHOLD, Jan 04 from Baen Books
    THE WEAPON, Aug 05 from Baen Books
    CONFIRMED KILL, Sep 05 from HarperCollins
    BETTER TO BEG FORGIVENESS..., Winter 07 from Baen Books

~~~

"The Finest battle implement ever devised." Ung the Caveman on the M1 Pointy Stick.

I prefer something a bit larger.

Oneshooter
    Livin in Texas
    Attached Images Attached Images
    'Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem' --
    - Ronald Reagan-

My toy

I dont have a picture handy and I'm not on my 'puter, but for some reason the colt 1861 has always been my mistress. I bought a remmy with a brass frame and long barell, but was told it would lose it's shape if you shot it much so I bought the colt and have been married to it ever since. Call me a nut, but when I go out sometimes I take it for rides with me. I shot it so much I had to put a new cylinder on it and rebuild it once.

Blue River Wisconsin, in a little hut in the woods
    Fun factor the two Walkers win first prize but for accurate the Ruger Old Army is as accurate up to 50 yards with roundball as most of my centerfire revolvers.

1934 – National Firearms Act, 1968 – The Gun Control Act, 1986 – Firearms Owners Protection Act, 1993 – Brady Handguns Violence Act, 1994 – Assault Weapons Ban, 1995 – Gun Free School Zones Act, NO MORE COMPROMISING

I haven't been by in a while, but since I just got a Pietta Paterson, here it is...

A Texas Paterson.

What a strange revolver. You can see why Colt never repeated many of it's design peculiarities in his later guns.

I Luv my Patersons

Thomas Haas Paterson

Colt Ser# 755 Copy