Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite cap and ball revolver

Quote Originally Posted by missuramoss
    Can we show our two favorite's?..My 1851 in .44, nothing historical about it, I've got others for that, but it just fits me so well, and of course.....the mighty Walker!!
    I have taken a liking to the 51 Navy in .44. I like the looks of the rebated cylinder with that frame style. I have a brass frame Pietta that Cabela's was selling a year ago for a hundred bucks. I came into a Pietta .44 steel frame that needs the arbor fixed. If I can fix it I well swap it into my brass gun so I can pack the chambers full.
    A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”

here are a couple of mine

Uberti 1861 Navies w/American Holly grips
    Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee = AKA Man of many Colt's - alter ego of Diabolical Ken,
    SASS 28654-L-TG; Rangemaster, Frontiersman/Pistoleer
    "Cynic: A Blackguard whose faulty visions sees things as they are, not as they should be." Ambrose Bierce

Thats a hard choice to make.
    I like the walker for its power.
    But the 1860 colt feels better in your hand.
    I like the 58 Remington for the quick cylinder reloads and that you can switch back and forth from cap and ball to 45 colt cartridge rather quickly.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Fingers McGee,

Nice 61s, where did you get the holly for the grips?

Quote Strawhat
    Nice 61s, where did you get the holly for the grips?
    These grips were done by Doc Shapiro out in CA a couple years ago. I've since found a guy here in MO that will make some Holly grips for my MWNN conversions, but I havent sent him the pistols yet.
    Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee = AKA Man of many Colt's - alter ego of Diabolical Ken,
    "Cynic: A Blackguard whose faulty visions sees things as they are, not as they should be." Ambrose Bierce

MCB....They are really nice, good shooters...they may be somethin a traditionalist would frown upon, but hey, like I said...it just feels right to me, and although it shoots about 6-7" high at 25 yds, I wont touch the sights on it, I've just learned to compinsate and aim where i know it hits.

The pic is my brass framed '51 in .44...the first bp revolver I ever owned. Be sure to post some pics when ya get yer brass switched over to steel!

Fingers....WOW...Nice brother...real nice..is that grip man you were talkin about down there in the hills? Seems to me I remember somethin about a shop in Cape Giruado turnin out some really nice grips.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fingers....WOW...Nice brother...real nice..is that grip man you were talkin about down there in the hills? Seems to me I remember somethin about a shop in Cape Giruado turnin out some really nice grips.
    No, he's in Owensville. There used to be a guy in Marshfield that did real nice work with stocks & grips; He did some Holly on a pair of '51 Navies for me, but he moved somewhere out of state & didn't leave a forwarding address.

Fingers, those 61 navies are really something with the Holly grips. I found a eight inch diameter log about a foot long. I'm drying it now, maybe I well have grip making material next year.
    A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”

They're really nice. Feel good too. Most people think they're Ivory at first. The wood starts out pure white, and will stay that way for a while if they're varnished heavily. If theey're lightly varnished then oiled they yellow to a real pleasing shade in just a few matches.

Fingers,
    I never thought of holly as a grip wood. We have all kinds of holly orchards around here (Portland, Orygun) where the starlings roost by the thousands. The holly farms harvest and ship holly for xmas decorations all over the country. Next time a big tree gets cut down I might save some of the wood. I go around my yard spraying to kill the seedlings since the birds scatter the seeds everywhere and the holly is such a prickly danged weed.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellgate
    I go around my yard spraying to kill the seedlings since the birds scatter the seeds everywhere and the holly is such a prickly danged weed.
    Apparently my work with the bb gun has driven the starlings from my yard to your yard, I'm in SE (Ardenwald).

I have a good sized piece of Holly drying now. I need to talk to one of my wood expert friends and figure out when I can re-saw it into blanks. You can have a piece if you want to try it.

This morning revolvers well be the Colt 51 Navy. The 51 was the first revolver that was really suitable for belt carry, lets face it, packing a Walker or Dragoon on your hip gets old real fast. Remember that people one hundred fifty years ago averaged five foot eight and didn't carry much extra weight, if any. If you could afford to buy them you could carry a pair of 51 Navies and have ten rounds at your disposal. A tremendous increase in fire power from just a few years earlier.

Colt 2nd Gen 51 RE Lee commemorative. Round trigger guard

Colt 2nd gen US Grant commemorative. Dragoon trigger guard

C series 2nd gen Colt.

This Navy Arms 51, made by Uberti in 64 is one of the best buys I have made, $99 a few years ago at a local shop. This one gets shoot a lot. Civilian model, no roll engraving on the cylinder and round trigger guard.

Thanks MCB, and good mornin to ya...You just made my coffee taste a whole lot better with those pics. You said a brace of Navies would give ya 10 shots...Did you possibly mean 12?

Quote Originally Posted by missuramoss
    Thanks MCB, and good mornin to ya...You just made my coffee taste a whole lot better with those pics. You said a brace of Navies would give ya 10 shots...Did you possibly mean 12?
    Good morning moss. Coffee is good this morning.

You are paying attention aren't you

I would probably carry with the hammer resting on an empty chamber. I'm not sure I would trust the small pins that capture the hammer between chambers for everyday carry. If I was in a situation that I knew I would be firing very soon then I would load six and use the pins.

Now the Remingtons have a pretty substantial notch that captures the hammer and I would feel fairly safe loading six and carrying with the hammer in the notch.

If you look at old originals you well see the pins on the Colts are missing or very worn down. Is this because they loaded six and carried with the hammer on the pin??? I don't recall reading anything about that in any period literature. In fact I have seen very little about fire arm safety in any period books. Maybe folks just had more common sense back then.

This is for you StrawHat.

Anyone have an idea what that is above the front of the trigger guard? A clip for a metal piece with a slot?

This is very nice.
    Last edited by madcratebuilder; November 24th, 2009 at 01:33 PM.

MCB,
    Thanks for the offer of the holly wood but I am just not a grip maker. I have enough problem just fiddling with the sights on these things but appreciate the offer.

Hell I will take a couple pieces if the offer is open MCB
    Check out my new website and pass around the link.
    http://www.bbgcustomleather.com
    "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle dixie".
    "When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns".

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadgun
    Hell I will take a couple pieces if the offer is open MCB
    You got it Bob.

Thanks Steve.
    Check out my new website and pass around the link.
    http://www.bbgcustomleather.com
    "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle dixie".
    "When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns".

madcratebuilder This is for you StrawHat.

Anyone have an idea what that is above the front of the trigger guard? A clip for a metal piece with a slot?
    Nice piece. I have given thought to rounding the grips, now I might have to do it.

If the screw is what I think it is, it would be the stud part of the Bridgeprot holster. A device that allowed the gun to be carried ont he belt without a leather holster. The stud would fit into a springmetal "clip" attached to a belt. Keith wrote it in "Sixguns" and they have been copied a couple of times. You could draw by merely grabbing and pushing forward. You could also swivel the revolver and fire from the belt. I've never seen one mounted to a C&B.

I have a good sized piece of Holly drying now.
    If the holly trunk were mine, I would put it somewhere protected perhaps in my garage rafters and let it sit for at least a year, possibly more. Slather some canning wax on the cut ends to slow down the escape of moisture. Knowing me, I'd forget it was there and it would sit for a few years. You want it to dry slowly to avoid splitting and checking. Some is inevitable but you want to prevent as much as possible.

My contribution to the morning photo session.

My first pair of C&B revolvers. Uberti made 1861s, from 1970, iron backstrap and guard, full fluted cylinders. Imported by Replica Arms, Marietta Ohio. I got these right after Navy Arms bought out and closed Replica Arms. The Log Cabin shop bought much of the gun inventory and I got these in 71 or 72. These are easily the most accurate fixed sight C&B revolvers I own. A pleasure to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by StrawHat
    If the holly trunk were mine, I would put it somewhere protected perhaps in my garage rafters and let it sit for at least a year, possibly more. Slather some canning wax on the cut ends to slow down the escape of moisture. Knowing me, I'd forget it was there and it would sit for a few years. You want it to dry slowly to avoid splitting and checking. Some is inevitable but you want to prevent as much as possible.
    I've peeled the bark and sealed both ends. Have it under my work bench and have stubbed my toe twice on it already. Just so I know it's their. I actually weighted it so I can see how much the weight changes while drying, almost looks like I know what I'm doing. I have always felt intimidated by wood working and can't believe I'm going to this length for a hunk of wood.

Kevin, those fluted 61's are beautiful. I don't think I have seen the combination of the four screw, steel back strap and flutes on a 61 before. those are very special. I have a few revolvers from Replica Arms and they are all good quality. They may have specified 'A' guns from their suppliers.

Drool..................

StrawHat started this morning with fluted Colts, an excellent choice. I can't match those 61's (beautiful) but I'll add what I can.

Here's a 3rd model Dragoon, a signature series Colt. sorry for the poor photos.

I don't think a fluted Dragoon is historically correct. Colt was still learning about metallurgy and I think Dragoon cylinder failure was not unheard of. I don't think that Colt offered a fluted cylinder until they introduced their "Silver Steel" in the late 1850's. Maybe some one can expand on this, Fingers??

Good mornin!..Slick lookin Dragoon ya got there MCB! I like the fluted look on em, original or not. This is my lill contribution for the mornin..'60 Army, 51/2 bbl, Pietta, BP (2001)...Favorite and most accurate load at 25 yds is 28 grains of Pyro "P", corn meal to the top, and a 451 Hornady rb on top, with bore butter.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It was a tough choice, but here are two of my favorites.
    Consecitive serial numbered Stainless Colt 1860 revolvers.