Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite cap and ball revolver

Here's a photo of one of my 61s and one of my 60s.

As much as I like my 60s, the two 61s I have are very accurate. They don't handle as easily as the 60s but they punch holes right where I look.

One more question about that howdah, Madcratebuilder. Did you make/install that swivel mount, or did you order it from somewhere? I did a quick google, but didn't see anything, and I'm very much liking the idea of putting one of those on my own howdah pistol.
    "Your firing is very good. Keep at it, every shot is telling" Admiral Horace Hood, on board HMS Invicible, shortly before she exploded.

Ontos, the swivel mount is stock Pedersoli. It is a one piece unit and attaches to the barrel with a single screw. I looks like it could be easily adapted to the bottom of any double.

Have you seen these Howdah's?
    http://www.middlesexvillagetrading.com/PDBC.SHTML

StrawHat, that top 61, no roll engraving on the cylinder? Haven't seen that on a 61 before.

Here's my only 61, it's one of my oldest C&B revolvers. I bought it and my Walker from the same guy a day apart.
    A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”

This picture shows just what a behemoth the howdah really is. It dwarfs the 1861 Navy Colt, and though the Navy is slim and clean, it's not a particularly small revolver.

Heh heh. What a monster. It sure is fun to shoot.
    "Your firing is very good. Keep at it, every shot is telling" Admiral Horace Hood, on board HMS Invicible, shortly before she exploded.

Today's photo is a Remington revolving carbine. Not really a practical revolver, but fun to shoot, keep your free hand back from the cylinder or wear some thick gloves with gauntlets.
    A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”

madcratebuilder

StrawHat, that top 61, no roll engraving on the cylinder? Haven't seen that on a 61 before.
    Steve,

Here is a better shot

It is a full fluted cylinder.

Here is the mate

Where did you get the full fluted '61s & who made them? I've never seen one, much less two, like that.

Fm
    Last edited by Fingers McGee; December 10th, 2009 at 04:02 PM. Reason: correct spelling & syntax
    Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee = AKA Man of many Colt's - alter ego of Diabolical Ken,
    SASS 28654-L-TG; Rangemaster, Frontiersman/Pistoleer
    "Cynic: A Blackguard whose faulty visions sees things as they are, not as they should be." Ambrose Bierce

Not one, but two fluted 61's. One with dragoon guard and one with round guard Most unusual. That round guard, is that steel or blackened brass? Made by pietta?

Fingers McGee

Where did you get the full fluted '61s & who made them? I've never seen one, much less two, like that.

Fm

madcratebuilder

Not one, but two fluted 61's. One with dragoon guard and one with round guard Most unusual. That round guard, is that steel or blackened brass? Made by pietta?
    I got these back in the early 70s, perhaps 71 or 72. They are both made by Uberti in 1970. Steel back straps and guards with full fluted cylinders. Also cut for shoulder stocks. They were the first reproduction C&B revolvers I ever purchased. I sold an original 1860 to finance them!

I haven't had them to the range recently but I believe the round guard shoots a bit tighter than the square guard revolver. Or maybe the other way around. I do know they are both tin can accurate to at least 25 yards.

Over the years I have had the oportunity to own few revolvers I like as much as these. It is easy to see why Sam Colt considered these the pinnacle of his work. Lightweight, accurate and good looking.

I have left these as I got them, resisting the urge to stock them in stag.

Those two 61's are very special, glad you shared with us. I well really keep an eye out for their sisters on Gunbroker.

A fool and his money are....................

I bid on these two Star revolvers really not thinking I would win the bid, surprise, surprise. The seller works with a group of pawn shops in the mid west and these came to him in the wrong boxes in a large group of guns. He had several listed with photos not matching the descriptions. I think that kept the bids down. Anyway I went with the photos and got both the DA and SA Star. Seller is shipping both for a single price, saved $35 right off the bat. More than I wanted to spend with the holidays here but I can't take it with me. $250 each.

Seller had several other guns that I would like to have bought at the price they sold for. A pair of stainless R&S's, a Walker, several center fires that went cheap.

Those two 61's are very special, glad you shared with us. I well really keep an eye out for their sisters on Gunbroker.
    As will I.

FM
    Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee = AKA Man of many Colt's - alter ego of Diabolical Ken,
    "Cynic: A Blackguard whose faulty visions sees things as they are, not as they should be." Ambrose Bierce

A fool and his money are....................

I bid on these two Star revolvers really not thinking I would win the bid, surprise, surprise.
    Winning on a lowball bid is always surprising - but satisfyng. It's happened to me on a number of occasions.

FM

Here's one I haven't posted. It's a Euroarms Rogers & Spencer #1005. Many consider the R&S as the best engineered and strongest design of the percussion revolvers. Euroarms made four version in blued steel and two in stainless steel, and there could well be others I'm not aware of.

You've seen this revolver before but I borrowed a stock for an April Fools photo.

I did not nor will I shoot it with the stock, way to close to my eyes for comfort.

I did not nor will I shoot it with the stock, way to close to my eyes for comfort.
    No kidding! I thought I was prepared the first time I fired a C&B with a shoulder stock. The eye protection worked just fine but I was some what concerned about burning my nose off my face!

Let's look at the LeMat revolver this morning. Not a lot of these around, the price is more than most want to spend on a cap and ball replica, plus they can be somewhat finicky. The hand grip angle is different than most revolvers and I find it very comfortable. About the same weight as a Colt dragoon I find it easy to shoot single handed. The nine round .44 cylinder loads like any cap and ball with a loading lever but the LeMat lever is not as robust as a Colt or Remington. My particular revolver likes .454 rb and shaves a nice ring with them. The end of the loading lever holds the rammer for the shot barrel and this rammer well sometimes fall out on recoil. Putting a slight bend in the rammer increases the friction fit and stops that problem. I use 17ga wads and cards for the shot barrel and have loaded buck and #4 bird shot in it. A common problem with the LeMat is getting a consistent discharge with the shot barrel. To fire the shot barrel you have to 'fold' the nose of the hammer down so it hits the center cap. This reduces the hammer travel significantly. I carefully sand the face of the caps thinner so they are more sensitive. This seems to work well and so far I haven't popped a cap doing this by hand.

It is reported that these revolvers were popular with Confederate officers, particularly among Calvary officers. With more than a 50% increase in fire power I would think these men felt well armed when they rode into battle.

There are many variations of the original, 28, 34,36 and 44 calibers, most were made in France with some coming from Belgium and England. These had to be smuggled into the CSA and many where lost at the blockades. There was even a LeMat revolving carbine.

Original pin fire LeMat

My Pietta version.

The LeMat, while interesting to look at is one of those that never grabbed me. They have a fragile look and as I have sadi, I am not gentle. How do the rpros shoot, accurate? Or accurate enough?

The loading system looks a lot more fragile than it is. The small spring clip that holds in position along the barrel is the weakest link. I made a replacement from a piece of feeler gauge material.

As far as accuracy it is as accurate as the sights allow. The front post is large and it has a hammer notch like the Colt open tops. No rear sight with the hammer nose folded down for the shot barrel, but the shot barrel is intended for up close work. I can keep the rb on a paper pie plate at 25yds. The heavy trigger does not help either.

madcratebuilder

I can keep the rb on a paper pie plate at 25yds. The heavy trigger does not help either.
    I like it, minute of paper plate! My kind of accuracy. I got raked over the coals on another forum because I wrote something about "minute of bucket" for as far as you can shoot and another poster went ballistic. I gave up shooting tiny groups when I gave up small bore rifles.

Can the trigger pull be lightened?

Given the "iffy" ignition of the shot barrel, I'd think that any lightening of the action would remove any chance of loosing grapeshot.

Given the "iffy" ignition of the shot barrel, I'd think that any lightening of the action would remove any chance of loosing grapeshot.
    Exactly. Next time I go inside I well take my brand new extra fine sear stone to the sear and hammer and take 'some' of the positive angle out of it. When out of the box it was twelve pounds on my RCBS gauge, it's just under eleven pounds now. If I could get it to eight I would be happy. Most my DA revolver are in that area.

Here's some new pic's of the two Starr revolvers. I'm really happy with both of them. Pietta does a fantastic job on these.

Don't have a pic handy to upload, but I've got one of the repro Rogers & Spencers. Thought about a LeMat, but they weren't yet legal for N-SSA competition.
    Rule 37: There is no "overkill". There is only "Open fire", and "I need to reload".
    "7 Habits of Highly Effective Pirates", quoted in Schlock Mercenary

The loading system looks a lot more fragile than it is. The small spring clip that holds in position along the barrel is the weakest link. I made a replacement from a piece of feeler gauge material.
    I had a Cavalry model a few years ago. The loading lever was a really weak link. Bent it the first time I loaded the chambers. Took some doing to line the rammer up and pull the loading lever to seat the ball. It was cool to be able to load and fire 8 rounds; but wasnt worth the trouble of loading it. Finally traded it off.

I am really glad this thread got started again. Some really interesting post.