Thread: Barnes Hollow Points Expanded

Barnes Hollow Points Expanded

I don't see many Barnes copper hollow points after expansion so when I went out to the desert shooting, I thought I would make some. I've included everything I could think of below the photo.

First Round:
    250 grain Barnes all copper hollow point bullet in 454 Casull
    Loaded by Federal Premium and labeled "Vital-Shok".
    From ammunition box - Muzzle Velocity = 1530fps, Energy = 1300ft-lbs (unspecified barrel length)
    Fired from a Ruger Alaskan into water jugs that were 5.5" wide.
    The round went through three jugs, the side of the fourth jug, scraped the side of the fifth jug and was found about 10 feet down range sitting on the dirt.
    Expanded to .94".

Second Round;
    185 grain Barnes all copper hollow point bullet in .45 ACP
    Loaded by Taurus and labeled "Taurus Hex Bullet".
    No rating specified. From similar ammunition - Muzzle Velocity = 910fps, Energy = 340ft-lbs (unspecified barrel length)
    Fired from a Springfield XD with 4" barrel into water jugs that were 5.5" wide.
    The round went through three jugs and was found wedged between the third and fourth jug. One petal pierced the forth jug.
    Expanded to .85".

Third Round;
    155 grain Barnes all copper hollow point bullet in 10mm
    Loaded by Double Tap and labeled "Barnes XPB".
    >From website - Muzzle Velocity = 1400fps, Energy = 675ft-lbs (from a Glock 20, 4.6" barell)
    Fired from a Kimber Eclipse II with 5" barrel into water jugs that were 5.5" wide.
    The round went through three jugs, out the side of a fourth and was found on the dirt to the side of the jugs.
    Expanded to .75".

All were shot from about 8 feet away and splashed spectacularly.

Nice photo!

I used all-copper Barnes HPs (TSXs) for large game recently. I recovered two pretty bullets, both fully and evenly expanded with essentially no weight loss. No exit wounds, but both bullets made it all the way to the opposite hide. One animal didn't take another step; one ran (listing to the left) 50 m and fell over, stone dead. (Good shot placement helps. )

I use Barnes XPB (Cor-Bon DPX) in my 9mms because I consider that a "marginal" SD caliber that benefits from the best possible loads. By contrast, I think there are LOTS of good SD bullet choices for both .45 and 10 mm.

Oh. Flowers. How pretty.
    No tyrant should ever be allowed to die a natural death.

re. "Oh. Flowers. How pretty."

You so funny!!!

I use the Taurus bullets in my .45 exclusively for carry. It is a Taurus PT-145 Millenium Pro. Funny that out of all the ammo I've tested in it these feed the best and are the most accurate. They are a little hard to find, though.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Those photos are about the same as what I have retrieved from an Elk and a mule deer shot with muzzle loader using Barnes 50cal sabots. Range was about 175 yards on both, MV 1900.
    , Bill Weddle

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Damned good stuff.

Looks almost like the 10mm load was going "too fast" and might have stayed a bit fatter if it was going slower (like from a 40S&W?).
    Jim March
    TFL Alumnus
    Equal Rights for CCW Home Page
    http://www.equalccw.com
    Airplane Pictures

In that case, the 454 Casull load was going too fast, too. Maybe that bullet would work better as a 45 LC load?

Or just wishful thinking on my part, as I don't own a 454 but have "several" 45 LCs?

In regard to the "too fast" thought, I've often considered that as well. In reality though, you would want the bullet to be at max expansion when it was in the middle of the target. If it is "overexpanded" by the time it stops at the rear of the target, you know you got the greatest effect out of the bullet. In other words, it won't do much damage if, by the time it reaches maximum expansion, it is traveling slowly or stopped altogether.

That's my thinking anyway...

Loosedhorse

(Good shot placement helps. )

That is all that matters when coupled with a bullet that penetrates to the vitals.

I favor cast SWC, usually over black powder, in my hunting revolvers.

What was the cost per round please? With the 10mm & the .45ACP do you feel that hunting range goes out to 50 yards? I just standardized on a .45 round, now I see this, progress marching on, in over?
    tony

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

XDJ: Pretty flowers, I wish a nice guy would give me a box of those My big hunting trip in eastern NM was for grass-fed Pronghorn. I wanted something which would come close to what I had been training for. Supported prone, unknown distance, bipod and Mildot sight <evil wink> and test myself. 7.62x63 Barnes X-bullet (the old ones) 168 gr 2700 or so fps. I did as I practiced, not a hint of buck fever (first big game hunt), complete bubble and on the head and rechambered when the rifle came back down from recoil. This is the result. Pronghorn have very large hearts and this is only the ventricles. 285 yds by laser. CBS are very important So now, I'm convinced I can break a shot when I need.

As you see it worked beautifully. about 4-5" bloodshot tissue on inner surface of ribs and 5-6" on exit.
    Last edited by pink_talon; December 15th, 2009 at 01:08 AM.

Does anyone know where I can find bullets loaded with these projectiles? Or do I have to make my own?
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Cor-bon sells the ammo, and Barnes sells the bullets.

I don't see many Barnes copper hollow points after expansion so when I went out to the desert shooting, I thought I would make some. I've included everything I could think of below the photo.
    Oleg has a post at his new blog featuring these bullets. They look all sharp and pointy.
    "Whom have I in heaven but you
    And beside you I desire nothing on earth." --PS 73