Thread: RRA Coyote...16in vs. 20 in

RRA Coyote...16in vs. 20 in

THR,

I cant get my mind off of these. I have a entry tactical, set with up SF, Eotech, broom-stick, etc. Its my SHTF, HD, etc.

Well, I want a longer range AR, and not in .308. I love RRA.

Both, the 16 inch and 20 inch Coyote say they are a .75 MOA.

I dont want the Predator Pursuit, bc later down the road, if I want to change up the configuration, I can (opposed to the heavy bul barrel, which is so bulky).

So which will be most accurate at 400m or less? Will velocity become a huge factor 16 vs 20?

Pros / Cons?

Thank you, lindy

I cant get my mind off of these
    Glad to see I am not the only one with this dilemma!!!

I will be following posts with lots of interest!!
    http://www.saf.org/journal/4_Schulman.html

Thomas Jefferson stated, "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarms only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater ... confidence than an armed man."

I have a Predator Pursuit upper. I was finally able to get a 1/2" group with some reloaded 68 grain match ammo. I like it. I don't plan to modify it though.

As for 16 vs 20, I think you should consider how you will be using it in the field and if the shorter length will be a help or not. If it doesn't help, I believe there is a significant velocity advantage with the 20" barrel. That might help you at longer ranges.

There used to be long threads here about terminal performance of standard military M193 at range with 20" versus 16" barrels.
    "No tendency is quite so strong in human nature as the desire to lay down rules of conduct for other people."

"The world is not going to be saved by legislation."
    William Howard Taft

As was said before, it all depends on what you are using it for. If the only set purpose is "longer range AR" then I'd go with the 20".
    No Choice No Chance. Support Campus CCW.

I think people are entitled to beliefs that are not completely illogical. Want to believe the sky is plaid? Too bad, facts are against you. People don't get to believe in anything willy nilly and expect to be able to hide behind defenses of "it is my belief" or "it is my opinion." I don't have to agree with the logic and/or proof, but there has to be at least some of either.
    -MJRW

There was a lot of talk about the 16 vs. 20" with military ammo. It seems that the 62 gr. FMJ (I think) fragments reliably only when impact velocity is 2,700 fps or above. Some guy wanted to load up that bullet to go 3,200 fps from a 16" bbl, so it would retain frag velocity out to 200 or 300 yds. Something like that.
    I'd say you need to look very closely at what you want to do with the rifle. We're not limited to using FMJ, as the military is. If I were to go with a 16" AR, I'd look at 9" twist, and try hard to load only the Win. 64 gr. SP. Midway had that bullet when I looked last week. $360 for 2,000.

Either way, if long range is the goal, getting the most velocity out of the rifle is a good idea. Unless there is some reason to need it shorter, I'd go with 20".
    "No tendency is quite so strong in human nature as the desire to lay down rules of conduct for other people."

"The world is not going to be saved by legislation."
    William Howard Taft