Thread: Nepalese Martini Henry rifles: Are they any good?

Nepalese Martini Henry rifles: Are they any good?

I was just looking at these on the Atlanta Cutlery page.

I already own an Enfield P-53 which is excellent for hunting and long range silhouettes, and I just read an article about the Martini Henry in the Black Powder Annuals magazine.

However, the Martini that was in the article was a South African model, while the ACC ones are made in Nepal. Does anyone have any experience with Nepalese rifles? Are they reliable, and safe? considering that these Martinis are made over a hundred years ago?

Thanks
    MEMBER OF THE ORDER OF THE CONFEDERATE ROSE
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Atlanta Cutlery and IMA imported thousands of Brit made and Nepalese made M-H's within the last few years. They bought out the entire Nepalese armory.

I have a Brit made Mk I from this batch and mine is a very nice rifle.

This has been discussed a lot on various M-H forums. The best is probably over at www.gunboards.com

I don't know what is currently available and what condition the current guns are in. Last I knew they still have both Brit and Nepalese made guns, but I haven't been watching that closely.
    Rob Reed
    NRA Certified Instructor (Pistol, PPITH)
    SigArms Academy Certified Instructor (Pistol)
    Graduate, LFI-1 & LFI-2
    CCW classes and private instruction in the Metro Detroit and Lansing areas

Awesome rifles!

I have two MK IV's. The Martini Henry's will all be British made, while the Nepalese manufactured rifles look like MH's, but are Francotte pattern and different inside. The Brit's should be safe to fire after cleaning and a mechanical checkout...particularly the later MK IV's as they went almost straight from delivery into storage. Many are nearly pristine and giving them the 'hand select' fee well worth it in my opinion.

If you get a rifle with a problem, particularly after 'hand select', they will work hard to satisfy you. My second one looked great, but had a few internal problems and they gladly took it back and picked me a real gem the second time around. It has at least 90% bluing remaining and looks unfired.

The wood will normally be solid, but showing dents and such from storage bumps....plus a TON of yak fat/dried grease inside that looks like flaky red rust...but cleans up great. Mine are tight and solid shooters.

There are other British Militaria Forums out there with all the info to keep you reading for days on these wonderful arms.

Oh, shooting them is very doable, but can be expensive as the 577-450 ammo isn't readily available and when you find it, pricey. Brass, dies and components ARE available and that is how I roll my own. Black powder only, please!

The fellows at IMA were great to me, and I've heard the same of AC. Recommend them and their wares highly.
    Attached Images Attached Images