Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4831 in the 308

If he were developing a load to shoot a 1K match with I might concur that there are better things available, or if he were heading out for the hunt of a lifetime going after something like Bighorn sheep again I would agree.

But for simply burning up some bullets and powder to get in a little trigger time, heck just about anything works for that.

Might be missing the OP original intent, but I think I might have caught the jest of it. He is having excellent results with his load in his rifle using 4831, and asked if anyone else was using it. No it might not be the optimum powder for the caliber but it still works, and some other folks might be using it. Just because it isn't in all the latest rags doesn't mean it won't work or work well.

But really the bottom line is, he has 4831 and 180gr bullets on hand and they are cheaper than buying more powder just to shoot paper with, or even hunt with for that matter.

That's my point

41 MAGs right. that was my point, I got lots of 4831 and 180 & 165 bullets and I'm having a good time poking holes in paper using it.

Love your pictres too 41 MAG. Looks like you do a lot of hunting. Sure would love to try some of that pork you got there.
    Tom

Love your pictres too 41 MAG. Looks like you do a lot of hunting. Sure would love to try some of that pork you got there.
    Tom
    Thanks Tom,

We get to the country quit a bit, and the hogs are simply over running many areas of the state. To us they are a plague and are shot on sight. I help out a friend and his family with two of their properties as well. Most of the hogs pictured come from those places. I am somewhat on permanent hog detail. Not a bag thing at all, and it works out well for all parties. Since they are classified as an imported species, non native, they can be shot year round, and in most case 24/7 with a call to the local LE to let them know what your doing. Even with that they still over run most areas in little time at all.

As for how it is on the table, your right, it's hard to pass them up. But when you might knock ten or more at a time out of one bunch, the cleaning parts gets old pretty fast, as well as the freezer room diminishes just as quick. The really bad part about them is with pork being regulated by the state and having to be inspected, there are very few places you can even donate it. It would be a tremendous shot in the arm of the food banks if we could more readily donate the meat to them, but with the parasites and such being known to pork it simply isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Pigs

Do you live in Texas? Kind of looks like it to me. I'm in Seattle. Like the 65 Thunderbird in the barn too.