Thread: mossberg 702 plinkster trigger job

mossberg 702 plinkster trigger job

so here is the latest on my mossy work the blurry picture of my hammer is where i grinded it down to about 1 mil for a really nice trigger pull. i polished all sides of my bolt and trigger assembly for smoother action which helped a lot with this rifle. I have a BSA sweet .22 3x9x40 scope with 36,38,and 40 grain elevation drums. a universal bi pod. I just cant believe how much a difference all this made you should feel the trigger on this rifle its very smooth no more grind or long squeeze like before . oh and i also shortened the spring. all together made a very light and short trigger squeeze. tested five rounds through it, going to the range this Thursday to re zero and new groups
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jadon

How about a detailed tear down of the trigger group? I see others have asked you for it on another site as well.

Thanks

Jadon

How about a detailed tear down of the trigger group? I see others have asked you for it on another site as well.

Thanks
    Seriously! I would love to see a right up or tutorial about it, as I have one myself. I tried to take the bolt apart but the extractor retaining pin started to crumble so I stopped.
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." --Robert Heinlein

"Someone tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Malcolm Reynolds

Mossberg 702

Hey im looking for a detailed picture, instructions, or a drawing on how to put a mossberg 702 plinkster trigger assembly together took it a part not thinking about it like a dumb ass and cant get the damn thing back together if any one can help it would be much appreciated thank you

A lawyer with his briefcase can steal more than a hundred men with guns.

I made the same mistake but was a little more careful I started a thread about this on the .ORG site

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=517247

PM me if you have anymore questions
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." --Robert Heinlein

How did you put it back together. I'm trying to reasemble mine together, but can't seem to do it.

Thanks

Hello! Im new to this forum and would like to ask some advice. I have been looking all over the web and see that the Mossberg 702 Plinkster is a very well liked gun except for the trigger problems. My question is..... If a guy had an Extremely, simple, (have to drill one 1/8" hole) "kit" With instructions/ photos, and parts, for smoothing and installing an adjustable trigger that would bring it down to as low as 2 1/2 lb pull, What would you think it would be worth? Do you think it would sell? What would you pay for it? Just curious to see what people would think its worth, if anything. Please let me know. Thanks.

I think it would be worth around $125 and I might be interested. That depends on the quality of the product and how well detailed, documented and supported it is as well.

Mossberg 702 Plinkster trigger job "adjustable trigger Kit"

I want to thank you for your fast input and advice. I will take your advice into account. Concidering a 10-22 and a good trigger kit would cost somewhere around $325 Plus, maybe your right about the price. I just worry that someone would feel leary about putting $100- $125 into a $100 dollar gun. Then again, I, personally, have never seen an out of the box, 10-22 shoot as well as my "kitted" Plinksters do. As far as quality, I use good quality blued parts. I'm still looking for stainless supplier. As far as documentation, I think I'm set. Its a very simple job that anyone can do. Thats what scares me. TOO SIMPLE! I just installed and adjusted a kit for a friend in just over 25 minutes. I'm worried that customers are going to kill this whole idea just by word of mouth. I mean, how many can I sue? I'm just not that kind. Also, how would I stop them from just passing it on to friends, family and such?!?! Anyway, I'm still in the "Legal" and "Patent Pending" process, so I cant say much about the product. I'm wondering if maybe I should just have people send me their receivers and do the Job here at my home. But would that bring me legal Problems?! No FFL anymore. Let that go years ago. What do you think? Maybe just stick to "At your own risk" kits? Also, still worried that I could be sued if some Bonehead set the trigger pull to low and shot somebody by accident. So many problems to work out before selling!!! Anyway, Keep the advice coming. I'm sending you a personal message. Something to show my appreciation. Thank you!

I dunno, but I think a post somewhere with the concepts and "donations" might help with the legal issues if someone does it wrong. Seems that once you sell the product, you accept a ton of liability.

Maybe pictures of parts and assembly, then they could make the parts. But most folks won't so you could sell the service through a local FFL/Gunsmith who can move firearms legally back and forth w/o ownership transfer.

This is a tough call, as it's a low margin business and real insurance will kill all the profits

702 plinkster adjustable trigger

I think I;m confused. I dont understand what your trying to tell me. I thought about selling the "idea" (no parts / tools just instructions, photos, parts and tool list and where to buy), as a DIY "at your own risk" All parts and tools are available at any home center, auto parts or hardware store. Hell, its a single screw and threaded hole! The problem is that once the word is out, who says anyone is going to actually pay for it. I mean, talk about viral video! Even with "patent Pending" I think someone will find a way to steal it. Dont mean to sound greedy, but I'm now totally disabled with serious health problems and have a family to feed and bills to pay, just like everyone else. I'm sure you can understand. Hell, I love "gun nuts" as much as I love guns. I am a "gun nut" and I'm proud of it! If I had a choice, I would just give this info out for free. I think I would still be liable even if I gave the info away. Man oh man, sometimes I wish I didnt come up with this idea. I was hoping it would turn out to be a nice little business for me and the family. Great kit, simple design, huge profit potential.....tons of people that already want the kit! Even the lawyer is confused. I just cant let this slip away. Cant give up! There has to be a way! If people can sell booklets / parts kits to Build, make, grow etc. illegal products, than there must be a way for an honest law abiding man to sell a legal, great quality, product that anyone can install as long as they know how to use a drill. Anyway, sorry about the whining. Do you think you could explain in detail about what you meant about "concepts and donations"? Confused! It would be greatly appreciated.! Thanks so much! Digger

I don't know what to tell ya. That is the problem with easily replicated steps. You do have the advantage of the fact that the 702 isn't as popular as a 10/22 or anything else like that.

If you do make it public, I promise not to make any videos

OK, for years Chuck Hawks supported his web site by requesting donations. Since I read a lot of his stuff, even if I did not agree with some of his statements, I used to send him some money now and then to keep the site up. Now I see that it has gotten popular enough to attract advertising, so that's where the real $ are.

I think if you built a site as the "guru of this technology" and explain that you are disabled and could use honest support for the site and your information, it might garner the respect of honest folks (most of us)

Crooks and skin flints will steal anything whether it's patented or copyrighted or not

You have a idea just like any designer or author. Once it's out there, there is nothing to stop piracy. But to become the "father" of the idea and a trusted source, you need to get it out. If you are able to do physical work, you might offer the installation service somehow? But you'd need warranty and liability insurance. If not, you can just "sell" the idea.

One idea, unless it's one that revolutionizes a whole class of citizens usually does not lead to riches? A steady stream of thoughtful and innovative ideas can lead to becoming a recognized leader in a field and folks will pay for your expertise

BUT, selling parts or ideas for profit means you get sued if someone messes up and shoots their kid brother with a bad trigger. If you made $1M on this, that money would be spent protecting itself from law suites. The same skin flints that will steal, will sue if they smell enough money to make it worth their while

If you just publish the idea with the explanation of why it works and asked for those who use it to help support the "Plinkster Site" you may make a few dollars

I don't think there are enough Plinksters out there to make you rich? Does this work on all similar trigger groups?

I don't even think all the Ruger 10/22's ever sold made Ruger rich? They may have paid part of the cost of operation for the company, some dividends and wages for the workers, but that's about it.

How many conversion customers do you think are out there?

702 plinkster adjustable trigger kit

I agree so much with what you have to say. I think I've lost perspective with my first love. Sharing my talents and Ideas with people that have the same loves and beliefs. Its just that I'm so desperate since losing my business and becoming “disabled” its a word that sticks in my craw. I worked all my life. Yeah, you are right, I would never get rich. I wasn't really looking for that, just to help my wife. Yes, the kit works on all 702 “based” autos with very little modification (Even the new Tactical as long as the stock is pulled every time adjustment is needed. Don't like that, still working on it) I actually have 3 different Mods for these models and other mods for Ruger, Mauser, Colt , rifles and handguns etc. Been doing this for over 30 years. This idea was the only one that I thought would sell well, and wouldn't have a problem patenting without ATF problems. Man oh man have I learned. Its not hard getting the patent, but you certainly better have some serious money for liability and lawyers. You don't even want to know what the “Maker” of the 702 has to say about this “Kit”! Yeah, I was that naïve. Oh well! I'm checking out how to get a site of my own, and possibly asking for donations for my idea's. Then I cant decide if I send just the instructions, parts and tool list, or the instructions, parts and tools, AS A KIT. I mean how could I be breaking the law if I'm sending you a screw, drill bit, tap and instructions! That's not gun parts! I'm still checking which would be better as to liability and possible criminal laws. I cant believe that I even have to worry about this stuff! Damn, times have changed and I'm old. Funny you said “somehow offer the installation service”. Well I checked. Even though the ATF does not consider the lower trigger group as a “gun”, as soon as I work on it and send it back and the customer installs “my Mod” then I'm a gunsmith under ATF and FFL laws. I truly don't get that. I'm not the brightest bulb on the tree, but give me a break! I have the skill and knowledge to make full autos all day long, in about ten different gun models, but I could go to jail for giving people a product that's needed, wanted and legal! Sorry, about the venting. This country is screwed up! As soon as I'm up on site, get in touch. I'll remember you BrocLuno and Hadmanysons. I just have to figure out how to build a site. Thank you for all your input and advice. Mostly thanks for bringing me back to earth and myself. I agree, I am going to share this soon. It would feel great to be the "Father" of this technology! You will be one of the first to love this mod. People think the 10-22 is great.... this mod makes the out of the box $250 ruger no comparison! 2-3 lb smooth pull! No more drag. Think 1/2” groups of 3 shots at 50 yards, every time with a good scope! Again, thanks for your input!

I can help with the web site if you help me with the trigger.