Thread: Removing Epoxy Coating...How?

Removing Epoxy Coating...How?

is there a practical way to remove the black coating that Cold Steel puts on their knives? i picked up a Trailmaster, and i was thinking i might like it better without the coating. actually, i was thinking about modding the entire knife: blade, handle, etc.

any tips from the experts here? i've seen alot of great work by a lot of you guys, on production knives.
    there was no such thing as a "dangerous weapon," there were only dangerous men.

sandpaper?
    "the loudest sound in a gun fight is "click"...." - nyresq

"Even if you didn't find no game, it's always some trashy rascal dat needs uh good killin'" - Thier Eyes Were Watching God

Have Got:
    Remington 504 .22LR, Stoeger Uplander 20g.
    Gotta Have:
    STG58A FAL, Winchester 1300 Camp Defender, M1 Garand, M1A, SA Loaded 1911, SIG 220, Glock 19, HK USP, Custom Built AR-15, SKS, Remington 700 in .30-06...

It depends on what the coating is. You might get lucky with something like methyl ethyl ketone or something similar. There are also some commercially available epoxy remover type solvents available that might work, but they might be cost-prohibitive for stripping one knife.

How about sand or bead blasting? A local welding shop would probably do it for beer money if you catch them in a good mood.

Heat.

Epoxy removal

As mentioned, heat works, try a commercial heat gun. A bead blaster works GREAT as well, sandblast as well.

Andy
    Andy's Leather
    Scout Rifle Ching Slings and more
    http://andysleather.com/

if not to late, sell it and buy the not coated one. from what i've seen you will never be happy with the results of removing the coating.
    http://www.coldsteel.com/trailmaster.html
    http://www.amazon.com/Cold-Steel-Tra.../dp/B000WAFPKI
    Some humans would do anything to see if it was possible to do it. If you put a large switch in some cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying "End-of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH" the paint wouldn't even have time to dry. - Terry Pratchett

One word of caution, you may not like what you see after you remove the coating. I've done this with a few knives and discovered horribly finished steel underneath: uneven finishing/grinds, tooling marks, sloppy work meant to be hidden.

You may need to refinish the entire knife as well.
    Vae Victis

i've decided to remove the coating the old fashioned way: by beating the knife into submission as often as possible. i've been using it to dig out areas for planting, digging up roots, hammering tent stakes, prying open boxes, cutting firewood, and cleaning fish. i even lent it to a friend for a week to clean some whitetail; it took care of three does. the epoxy finish is wearing off quite nicely.
    there was no such thing as a "dangerous weapon," there were only dangerous men.

Try acetone...

We used to soak Motorola epoxy sealed filters in a can of acetone. The epoxy would flake off over a period of time.
    Of course, your results will depend on the type of epoxy you are dealing with, if it is epoxy.
    Brian
    It's easy to see why some politicians want honest people disarmed; all the polls I've seen show that criminals most fear an armed citizen.

I may be paranoid, but that doesn't mean they're not back there!

I've read that Xylene will (slowly) dissolve epoxy. Careful with it, pretty powerful solvent itself.

http://www.ofite.com/msds/280-20.pdf

There is a reason Cold steel paints epoxy on the knife, its usually a junky knife underneath Its like running a 73 mustang II thru an Earl Scheib paint job, (I can paint any car for $83.95!") its still junk underneath
    MOLON LABE, but you better bring lots of help

A redneck's famous last words...HEY DUDE, watch this!

"...lent it to a friend..." That'll do too. Your knife might come back broken or bent though.

FYI: I just removed some epoxy with a lengthy dunk/soak in commercial paint stripper. Worked GREAT!

Andy
    Andy's Leather
    Scout Rifle Ching Slings and more
    http://andysleather.com/

73 mustang II thru an Earl Scheib paint job
    what's wrong with that? a thing of beauty I am sure....
    Paul
    People have some respect for the complexity of technology. But almost every ignorant fool thinks he understands money and economics.

brake fluid

Might need to check the web for this.

thx for this answer!

audiobookkeepercottageneteyesvisioneyesvisionsfactoringfeefilmzonesgadwallgaffertapegageboardgagrulegallductgalvanometricgangforemangangwayplatformgarbagechutegardeningleavegascauterygashbucketgasreturngatedsweep
    gaugemodelgaussianfiltergearpitchdiametergeartreatinggeneralizedanalysisgeneralprovisionsgeophysicalprobegeriatricnursegetintoaflapgetthebouncehabeascorpushabituatehackedbolthackworkerhadronicannihilationhaemagglutininhailsquallhairyspherehalforderfringehalfsiblings
    hallofresidencehaltstatehandcodinghandportedheadhandradarhandsfreetelephonehangonparthaphazardwindinghardalloyteethhardasironhardenedconcreteharmonicinteractionhartlaubgoosehatchholddownhaveafinetimehazardousatmosphereheadregulatorheartofgoldheatageingresistanceheatinggas
    heavydutymetalcuttingjacketedwalljapanesecedarjibtypecranejobabandonmentjobstressjogformationjointcapsulejointsealingmaterialjournallubricatorjuicecatcherjunctionofchannelsjusticiablehomicidejuxtapositiontwinkaposidiseasekeepagoodoffingkeepsmthinhandkentishglorykerbweightkerrrotation
    keymanassurancekeyserumkickplatekillthefattedcalfkilowattsecondkingweakfishkinozoneskleinbottlekneejointknifesethouseknockonatomknowledgestatekondoferromagnetlabeledgraphlaborracketlabourearningslabourleasinglaburnumtreelacingcourselacrimalpoint
    lactogenicfactorlacunarycoefficientladletreatedironlaggingloadlaissezallerlambdatransitionlaminatedmateriallammasshootlamphouselancecorporallancingdielandingdoorlandmarksensorlandreformlanduseratiolanguagelaboratorylargeheartlasercalibrationlaserlenslaserpulse
    latereventlatrinesergeantlayaboutleadcoatingleadingfirmlearningcurveleavewordmachinesensiblemagneticequatormagnetotelluricfieldmailinghousemajorconcernmammasdarlingmanagerialstaffmanipulatinghandmanualchokemedinfobooksmp3listsnameresolutionnaphtheneseries
    narrowmouthednationalcensusnaturalfunctornavelseedneatplasternecroticcariesnegativefibrationneighbouringrightsobjectmoduleobservationballoonobstructivepatentoceanminingoctupolephononofflinesystemoffsetholderolibanumresinoidonesticketpackedspherespagingterminalpalatinebones
    palmberrypapercoatingparaconvexgroupparasolmonoplaneparkingbrakepartfamilypartialmajorantquadruplewormqualityboosterquasimoneyquenchedsparkquodrecuperetrabbetledgeradialchaserradiationestimatorrailwaybridgerandomcolorationинфоrattlesnakemasterreachthroughregion
    readingmagnifierrearchainrecessionconerecordedassignmentrectifiersubstationredemptionvaluereducingflangereferenceantigenregeneratedproteinreinvestmentplansafedrillingsagprofilesalestypeleasesamplingintervalsatellitehydrologyscarcecommodityscrapermatscrewingunitseawaterpumpsecondaryblock
    secularclergyseismicefficiencyselectivediffusersemiasphalticfluxsemifinishmachiningspicetradespysalestunguntacticaldiametertailstockcentertamecurvetapecorrectiontappingchucktaskreasoningtechnicalgradetelangiectaticlipomatelescopicdampertemperateclimatetemperedmeasuretenementbuilding
    tuchkasultramaficrockultraviolettesting