Thread: Staunton Shoot 'n' Greet #1001

Staunton Shoot 'n' Greet #1001

#1001 - Sunday - January 31, 2010

So far the weather looks good. According to weather.com, (the 10 day forecast) Sunday, Jan 31st in Augusta Springs, Va is supposed to be sunny. Of course, it's supposed to snow on Friday and Saturday...

I am looking forward to trying out my new 50 round Black Dog drum in my 10/22.

Mike D.

Hmmm, I'll have to bring extra .22 ammo!!! I have some Black Dog mags for my AR conversion, and they work flawlessly, hopefully the drum will to!!!

By God, I am making this one! It is my LAST chance!
    Last edited by herohog; January 26th, 2010 at 04:01 AM.
    Speedy, AKA: Hero Hog, Dr. Speed, "The Brass Mangler" and "That fat, old, balding, Grey-bearded gimpy guy" NRA Life Member, LSA, USN-DAV
    I don't have NEAR enough ammo!

Might try to make this one.
    No, holding that venegence upon their enemies was more to be desired than any personal blessings, and reckoning this to be the most glorious of hazards, they joyfully determined to accept the risk... Thus, choosing to die resisting, rather than to live submitting, they fled only from dishonor... Pericles' Funeral Oration

Crap!

Sunday's weather forecast is sunny and 33 degrees. Sounds OK except the weather for the preceeding Friday and Saturday is snow.

Mike D.

I've got 4WD, what could possibly go wrong?
    No, holding that venegence upon their enemies was more to be desired than any personal blessings, and reckoning this to be the most glorious of hazards, they joyfully determined to accept the risk... Thus, choosing to die resisting, rather than to live submitting, they fled only from dishonor... Pericles' Funeral Oration

I got 2WD, but I'll be there, unless the weather gets *really* bad.

Ramone
    "ours is not to wonder why,
    ours is but to shoot the guy.

GSGT RD, USMC circa 1982

As long as you have some ground clearance you should be fine.
    "The dogs bark, but the caravan moves on"

Duty calls, no fun for me this weekend.

I'm pretty sure that I'm the closest one to the Shoot location (About 15 miles) so I'll try to keep you all updated.

At this point, there is maybe 2" on the ground, and very light snow is falling. The weather forecast I saw said that the temperature was supposed to drop from 16 degrees where it is now, to 3 around noon. The heaviest snowfall is supposed to by from late morning until evening today.

Tomorrow it's supposed to be warmer, and I'm using that term loosely, and sunny.

The good news, is that with temps this cold, the snow is powder. That's a good thing for driving and plowing!

I'll check back in later today, and let you know how things look!

The other good news is that my power inverter WILL run my Kerosene "torpedo" so we could actually have some heat there <Grin>

O.K. the good news, is that while it's still snowing steadily, it's very light and fine, so it's not adding much to the depth.

The bad news, is that there is 5-6" on the ground! VDOT had all the roads around here liberally covered with the brine spray, so I suspect that the roads won't be all that bad. I have a 3/4 mile unplowed lane, so I haven't ventured out to the public road yet.

If you visit my friends blog, she has pics taken today from my area, between Staunton and Hite Hollow.
    http://swacgirl.blogspot.com/search/...ndoah%20Valley

6" up here in the mountains, no big deal if you are planning on going. Wish I was. Pretty day, cold as hell tho.

Latest recon!

Just for the heck of it, I took a drive out to Hite Hollow to see how it was. I was able to make it all the way to the entrance to the range in 2-WD which suprised me, because my truck is really light in the rear end! Once I got into the parking lot, it was uphill, and I had to use 4wd to get up to the parking area.

Rt. 42, which is the main road coming from Staunton, was a very thin compressed layer of snow, with big patches of slush. It looks the the temperature was right at the border of where the brine solution will melt.

The road into the range, hadn't been plowed when I got there, but there were plenty of tracks. I met a VDOT plow as I was coming out, and he plowed up to the end of state maintenance/forest service line. From there on, it wasn't, and probably won't get plowed, but like I said, I had no trouble in 2wd.

I think it is supposed to warm up tomorrow, and there's a good chance that the main roads will melt as soon as the sun comes out. Then again, maybe not!

I saw this on the news http://www.whsv.com/home/headlines/83157132.html which isn't a good sign! I'm hoping that ZeSpectre, isn't caught up in that mess!

I'm not gonna suggest whether you should try to make it or not, that's something that each of you need to decide! Also bear in mind, that I grew up in Northeast Ohio, and have been a rural letter carrier for the Post Office for 16 years. Part of my job, is to drive crappy handling vehicles in all kinds of road conditions, so I may be more comfortable with bad roads than you!

Oh, if/when anyone does come out to shoot, the range itself is ankle deep in snow. Revolvers, rimfires, or steel cased ammo would be the choice if you like your brass!

The wife and I are stuck in NoVA. I'll be sending out an email soon.

Z-

if NoVA means Norfolk, VA, and you need a place to stay overnight, call me- I am in Great Bridge, and you are welcome.

Ramone
    "ours is not to wonder why,
    ours is but to shoot the guy.

GSGT RD, USMC circa 1982

In this case NoVA means "Northern Virginia", and the wife and I are safe and warm at the inlaws house. I just have no idea when things will get cleaned up enough for us to head home.

Thanks for the backup though!

So did y'all make it out there?

No, I canceled the event.
    The next one is in March. See the webpage here.

As always, if anyone wants to be in the email notification list for the Staunton Shoot n' Greet just send me a PM with
    -Your full real name
    -The email you want me to use.

Thanks Ze. I chuckled at this question in the FAQ.

What if the weather is bad?

This is an ALL WEATHER event and we’ve proven that regardless of heat, rain, snow, fog, or bitter cold winds, folks still come out.

Just for the record...Motorhead DID go out there (it's just that he scouted and said "not so good")

I am going to rework that line in the FAQ though.

cool deal, hope to make to the next one.