+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: National Parks Carry FAQ

Administrator   
    Yes, in AZ we can carry long guns. If I were to be spending any time overnight in a National Parks camping facility or such, I would have a long gun with me.
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

http://czforumsite.info/

So far so good, no problems at Yellowstone.
    Life....Such a short time we are here,....So soon we are gone........

No problems in Shenandoah National Park yet. My big test will be a campout in May.
    "The dogs bark, but the caravan moves on"

So how many had to use their weapons for defense as of yet???

I am wondering if the animals can read, stay in the Forest...
    Don't go to the Parks and party

National Parks Update: Shenandoah National Park, VA

Just a quick update as I was camping at SNP over the Memorial Weekend.

The "entrance stations" to SNP are all clearly marked with "No Firearms" signs so don't go inside to register for your campsite with a firearm (concealed or open carry).

The Elkwallow Wayside (gas/food/convenience store) is a private contractor. That store/property is NOT signed and at present firearms are allowed.

I carried concealed during my visit.

Trails?

I was recently visiting Smokey Mountain National Park and the hiking trails were posted with No Firearms signs. I'm aware that Federal facilities can be posted so as not to allow firearms, but are the signs at trailheads legally binding or have they just not been changed yet? They also indicated some other things that were not allowed on the trails (pets, etc.) so I figured that since they weren't specific to firearms, maybe they just hadn't gotten around to remaking the signs. I couldn't find anything specific about this in the laws. Any thoughts?

Any thoughts?
    Only Fed Bldgs. occupied by working Gov. personnel can be posted in the NP's for firearms,TMK. Restrooms are not posted.
    Those Great Smoky trails should not be posted,IMO.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

'Harry Callahan' Magnum Force 1973

Mebbe someone will be along to enlighten, but I seem to remember a warning 'bout some places in Carolina being declared national wildlife refuges or sumpin' similar?. The fact that they were declared such meant no guns?
    Just blew by NC Grass Roots site and saw nothing that jumped out at me.
    It only becomes class warfare when the working class decides to fight back.
    When they don't, it simply becomes a case of economic genocide.
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member

Carry is OL in these areas in North Carolina per handgunlaw.us:

Carry Allowed in these Areas:

State Parks: NO 15A NCAC 12B .0901
    State/National Forests: NO 15A NCAC 09C .1243
    WMA’s: NO 15A NCAC 10D .0102 Any Cal. Only in designated camping areas for defense of persons
    and property. - 22-caliber pistols with barrels, not greater than 7.5
    inches in length and shooting only short, long or long rifle
    ammunition, may be carried as side arms on game lands at any
    time, except by hunters during the special bow-and-arrow and
    muzzle loading firearms deer hunting season.
    That is probably what you are recalling, basicblur.

North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission Press Release - April 14, 2010

CONCEALED CARRY PERMIT FOR FIREARMS PROMPTS QUESTIONS

RALEIGH, N.C. (April 14, 2010) – A change in federal law that allows firearms in many national parks does not include state parks and forests or other state recreational areas, including game lands.

According to the National Park Service of the U.S. Department of Interior, people who can legally possess firearms under federal and state law can now possess those firearms in the national parks in that state. This pertains to anyone with a concealed carry permit.

National parks should not be confused with national forests. In North Carolina, the Nantahala, Pisgah, Uwharrie and Croatan national forests are also designated as game lands.

“Concealed carry permits do not supersede the other regulations that apply,” said Maj. Keith Templeton, with the Law Enforcement Division of the N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission. “It is up to the individual with a valid concealed carry permit to know the law and obey it.”

Under game land regulations, it is unlawful to possess a firearm or bow and arrow on a game land at any time, except:
    1) During the open hunting seasons for game birds and game animals
    2) When the firearm is cased or not immediately available for use
    3) When possessed and used by participants in field trials on field trial areas
    4) When possessed and used on target shooting areas designated by the landowner
    5) When possessed in designated camping areas for defense of persons and property

Game land regulations allow .22 caliber pistols, with barrels not greater than seven and a half inches in length and shooting only short, long or long rifle ammunition, to be carried as a sidearm on game lands at any time, other than by hunters during the special bow and arrow and muzzleloading deer hunting seasons.

Some additional game land and hunting regulations of note:
    1) All hunting seasons are closed on Sunday; some game lands are open to hunting only three days per week.
    2) Only a shotgun and bow and arrow may be possessed during the big game season for wild turkey. This means no rifles or handguns are allowed on game lands during the wild turkey season.

Other notable state laws:

1) Loaded firearms are prohibited at all N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission public access areas (boat ramps) and public fishing areas.
    2) It is also unlawful to possess a loaded firearm within a posted restricted zone of any state-owned fish hatchery.

In counties where shining a light at deer is not prohibited, it is always unlawful to be in possession of any firearm, including a concealed firearm with permit, while shining a light in search of deer.

In North Carolina, the Nantahala, Pisgah, Uwharrie and Croatan national forests are also designated as game lands.
    Iff'n I remember correctly, I thought I saw a blurb where somebody in NC was in a rush to declare a lot of areas 'game lands' after the new carry law passed?

Don't know if it was true or not, but it kinda jumped out at me at the time.
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member

The fine print... potty time and guns... sinks/showers/toilets and guns.

Shower houses, public restrooms, N.P. buildings, hotels, etc. are not allowing conceal/open carry. Most of us know that already.

The ONLY restrooms that allow (?!?) gun carry are 'stand alone' aka an outhouse porta potties from what I read. You can carry inside and outside of your vehicle with your, gasp, loaded gun.

You can have a gun in your tent from what I read but if you want to use a bathroom with a SINK at the same campground or take a shower if there is one... you must disarm. So if you walk from your 'tent', camper and/or work van which we have set up as a 'camp/sleep' vehicle... you must remove your GUN before you STEP INTO the shower house or bathroom. In some places especially in Glacier National Park and Yellowstone National Park... I would want the GUN on me from walking from a, b and c to get to x, y and z. Grizzly bears don't pay attention to the rules you know!

So the fact that guns are NOT even allowed in a bathroom really ticks me off. I am glad that the Control Freaks with the park service can Protect Themselves with Their Special Rights inside and outside of bathrooms and THEIR buildings while we get only certain 'rights' from them. NOT!

Their buildings are OUR buildings too, you know!

Did any of you come across any signs that allow you to carry your gun into a 'stand alone bathroom' in your national parks across this country? Did you see any signs posted NO GUNS or Gun Free Zone at any stand alone toilet or porta potty place in Glacier or Yellowstone or anywhere else? If you did or did not see these signs, please let me know.

Thank you.

Catherine
    PS:

Interesting link below... one of many links/stories plus the regular Official Government national park website links.

http://stephenewright.com/fromtheblu...k-or-monument/

http://www.nps.gov/glac/parknews/news10-05.htm
    Closed Account

Edited/deleted by Catherine and I moved this to a new thread on NO FIREARMS ALLOWED signs.

Catherine
    Closed Account

It is now exactly one year that National Park Carry went into law.

As usual all the doomsayers, including National Park officials,the usual suspects in the MSM,the Brady Bunch,VPC and too many left wing politicians (and a few RINO's) to mention were wrong about what would happen.

No blood overflowing the trails,no flocks of frightened tourists trying to scurry away their children,no poachers tracking down defenseless park animals.

As usual law abiding gun owners were just that,law abiding.
    And now hopefully, this issue will be permanently put to rest.

Congratulations to ZeSpectre,who worked tirelessly for years to help make it happen.Take the day off,Ze and celebrate!

Thanks Johnny

Actually I've pulled my "National Parks" collection out and started combining select "blood will run on the trails" hysteria articles into an editorial on yellow journalism which I plan to send to several news agencies. <evil grin>

My understanding is, you treat the Park as you'd treat the rest of the state it's in. I have a Washington CPL, and carry concealed in Washington, so I can carry concealed in North Cascades National Park in Washington. Open carry is legal in Washington, so I can open carry in NCNP.

All the same, I would not advertise it. I've carried concealed for 36 years, come my birthday next month. I firmly believe concealed means CONCEALED. Nobody should know it's there until it's time to use it.

FWIW, a past local Deputy who knew the score here, told his wife years ago, "Never go into that Park without a gun!" My family was here before this d****d park. We have always followed that advice. Anti-gun parks are happy hunting grounds for two-legged predators. And NPS hushes up all the bad stuff they can.

As the two-legged predators learn we're armed, attacks in parks will go down. When Kennesaw passed its simple law in 1982, requiring all heads of households to own guns and ammunition, the media screamed that the streets would run red with blood. Instead, their already low crime rate dropped 89%. Of course, to the mainstream media, Kennesaw dropped entirely off the map; you hear NOTHING about that city today.
    "You don't expect governments to obey the law because of some higher moral development. You expect them to obey the law because they know that if they don't, those who aren't shot will be hanged."
    --Michael Shirley

These guys add to the chorus:

At the time, critics predicted that the new rule would frighten families away from the parks, and that the number of animals shot by gun owners in the parks would increase exponentially.

So what actually happened?

Continue reading on Examiner.com: Guns in parks rule reaches one-year anniversary - National national parks | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/national-par...#ixzz1EjgzluHM

NPS Director Jonathan Jarvis on guns in the National Parks (starts at 28:40) :

http://www.kqed.org/a/forum/R201104070900

A caller into this northern California radio broadcast was "... very very concerned ..." about guns being allowed in National Parks.

To the chagrin of the caller, the director said it's been a non-issue across the whole park system.

Just to clarify, this does not include the Natl Forests, correct
    That is correct.

National PARKS
    and
    National FORESTS

Have different rules and we're only talking about PARKS in this thread.
    National Parks are part of the Department of the Interior, and National Forests are part of the Department of Agriculture, and they both have different rules. The National Forests have always welcomed firearms and shooting sports.

For those who want to visit NPs or NFs in California, I have an extremely detailed thread called Firearms in Forests and Parks over on CalGuns.

I just spent 2 weeks in Murphy,North Carolina which is entirely surrounded by the Natahala National Forest,which borders the Pisgah National Forest.

North Carolina does not allow carry in National Forests so almost the whole extreme western part of the state is a GFVZ.Just look at the map.NC is a disaster with its laundry list of OL locations including movie theaters and banks.

See handgunlaw for the whole ridiculous list:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/northcarolina.pdf

National Forest in black.

Johnny, I lived out there once upon a time and a gun free zone it definitely isn't. We lived in Leicester not far from Pisgah and guns were very common.
    When the going gets tough the tough get cyclic!
    "The Constitution is a restraining order against the federal government. I'm not going to say a word about the effectiveness of restraining orders against criminals." Standing Wolf

Johnny, I lived out there once upon a time and a gun free zone it definitely isn't. We lived in Leicester not far from Pisgah and guns were very common.
    Guns are common,yes.I spent my teenage years in North Carolina and love the state.That's not the problem.

The problem is the ludicrous OL areas and the fact as I said ,ALL of extreme western NC is a National Forest AND THEREFORE A GUN FREE VICTIM ZONE.Only the the towns within that huge area are excluded from the prohibition.

See this list plus all National Forest:

Places Off-Limits Even With A Permit/License
     Schools, public or private, all levels including universities. A curricular or extracurricular activity sponsored by a school. This also applies to all property owned by any school. §14-269.2
     Assemblies and establishments where admission was charged. §14-269.3
     Assemblies and establishments where alcohol is both sold and consumed. §14-269.3
     State Capitol Building, the Executive Mansion, the Western Residence of the Governor, or on the grounds of any of these buildings, and any building housing any court of the General Court of Justice. §14-269.4
     State office buildings or any portion of a building in which there’re State offices. §14-415.11(c)
     Law Enforcement or Correctional Facilities. §14-415.11(c)
     Financial Institutions. §14-415.11(c)
     Events Occurring in Public: It shall be unlawful for any person participating in, affiliated with, or present as a spectator at any parade, funeral procession, picket line, or demonstration upon any private health care facility or upon any public place owned or under the control of the State or any of its political subdivisions to willfully or intentionally possess or have immediate access to any dangerous weapon. §14-277.2
     Areas of emergencies or riots. §14-288.7
     Where notice of carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice or statement. §14-415.11(c)
    Info from:

http://handgunlaw.us/states/northcarolina.pdf

15A NCAC 09C .1243 only mentions state forest (and "educational state forest", whatever that is), not national.
    "Nobody wins in a Dairy Challenge" —Kenny Rogers

15A NCAC 09C .1243 only mentions state forest (and "educational state forest", whatever that is), not national.
    Bob,all NC National Forest's are posted. NO FIREARMS.I WAS JUST THERE! In both Pisgah and Natahala.
    See this from handgun law:

Carry In State Parks/State & National Forests/WMA/Road Side Rest Areas
    Carry Allowed in these Areas:
    State Parks: NO 15A NCAC 12B .0901
    State/National Forests: NO 15A NCAC 09C .1243
    WMA’s: NO 15A NCAC 10D .0102 Any Cal. Only in designated camping areas for defense of persons and property. - 22-caliber pistols with barrels, not greater than 7.5 inches in length and shooting only short, long or long rifle ammunition, may be carried as side arms on game lands at any time, except by hunters during the special bow-and-arrow and muzzle loading firearms deer hunting season.
    Road Side Rest Areas: YES §14-269.4
    Capiche?

As one who lives on the NC/VA border, I used to spend more time shopping in NC than VA. Part of the reason I no longer do so is the rediculous list of OL places in NC.

The darn list is so long it would be simpler just to list places you can carry.
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member

+ Reply to Thread