Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jim Watson

Jim Watson

In the very early hours of this morning, two intoxicated men in a truck lost control of their vehicle and ran into Jim Watson's house. The impact drove Jim's heating and air unit into his house. The gas lines were severed and the truck caught on fire. Jim's first floor was soon engulfed in flames. He awoke upstairs, grabbed a flashlight, and climbed out a second story window onto his roof.

The lowlife drunks had fled. Jim held on to the icy roof calling for help but before help arrived he lost his grasp and slid off the roof onto the pavement below. He was critically injured in the fall. Rapid responders arrived and Jim was taken to our local hospital and then later transferred to Huntsville Hospital.

A couple that are friends of ours and members of the local shooting club had traveled to New Mexico to shoot in competition and Jim was keeping their dog. The dog perished in the fire.

The drivers that caused all of this have been apprehended.

Jim's pelvis is separated from his spinal column but his spine is not severed and he still has feeling in his lower extremities. He was to undergo surgery today but the three surgeons that are going to perform the procedures have decided to wait until Tuesday to make sure Jim has no other internal injuries.

Some young policemen that have grown up in the shooting club with us salvaged Jim's guns from the extinguished house (a total loss) and took them to a local member owned business. They are water damaged to various extents (some very badly) but not burned. About a dozen of us divided them today for care and safekeeping. We talked to Jim on a speaker phone as we worked on his guns in a chilly shop building today and he sounded confident and strong. He thanked us for our efforts and we all shouted words of encouragement.

Jim has no living family but he has very good friends and we are concerned but confident that he will be back shooting side by side with us in the future. He has many challenges to face.

This is a complicated event and I may not have all the facts exactly right. I ask my friends that read this to correct any errors or omissions.

Danny

Prayers, and good wishes go out to Jim from all the shooting community. May he have a speedy, and complete recovery, and may the sword of justice come down on the lowlifes.

I do not use profanity, but I am sorely tempted. I'll say some prayers instead. Quite a few.

I hope that Jim recovers quickly and completely, and that the drunken idiots who caused this face justice.
    I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
    Yes, I am a Pro-Gun Democrat, but with a strong streak of libertarianism.
    Proud native of New Hampshire. Live free or Die!

Prayers for Jim from here as well.

He's lucky to have friends like you.

Gosh that is horrible. I sure hope he recovers soon and completely. Did the catch the low lifes?

Wow... very bad news.

My prayers are sent his way.

Catherine
    Closed Account

Titan asked:

"Did they catch the low lifes?"

Yes, they are in custody but I know little else about them at this time. I imagine this will be reported in the Times Daily tomorrow morning (Florence, Alabama).

Exclamation

Prayers for Jim, I hope he has a speedy and full recovery.

Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery.

Reminds me once again to get an escape ladder for my house.

Terry, 230RN
    "Gun control is not about public safety, crime reduction, or 'the children.' Gun control is about power. The people have it, and the government would rather they didn't." (An internet poster, not myself.)

http://www.timesdaily.com/article/20...-in-house-fire

One injured in house fire
    Blaze began when truck drove into home

By Trevor Stokes
    Staff Writer

Published: Sunday, January 31, 2010 at 3:30 a.m.
    Last Modified: Saturday, January 30, 2010 at 11:42 p.m.

FLORENCE - Jim Watson had one way out of his second-story bedroom after a truck smashed into his home early Saturday morning, breaking a gas line and causing a full-alarm house fire: Slide down the roof.

Click to enlarge
    Shortly after midnight Friday, a call came in that a truck struck a house on Hermitage Drive in Florence, engulfing the house in flames. A Station 5 ladder truck pours water on the second story as flames emerge from the upstairs. The home owner is in serious condition after escaping through a second-story window and falling off the roof onto the sidewalk.
    Chris Rohling/TimesDaily

The 65-year-old man escaped the burning building, but fell onto a concrete wall and remained at Huntsville Hospital on Saturday evening in serious condition in the surgical intensive care unit.

The driver of the truck, James LaPriest Harrison, was arrested Saturday afternoon, authorities said, and charged with second degree assault and failure to remain at the scene, both felony charges because the victim was injured.

Harrison, 33, 739 Kendrick St., Florence, posted the $7,500 bond Saturday afternoon, according to officials at the Lauderdale County Detention Center.

Watson's neighbor, Laura Stanfield, heard the pickup truck jump the curb and hit the house. "Fire shot up between the truck and the house," she said.

The incident occurred at 12:20 a.m. Saturday, and firefighters left the scene about 7 a.m. Workers also cut the gas line and sealed it.

The Ford F-150, which was not registered under Harrison's name, hit the gas meter and caused the house to become fully involved in seconds, authorities said.

The jolt also woke Watson, who scrambled to get to safety as the fire started to consume the house.

Stanfield saw someone get out of the driver's side of the truck and walk around the corner of the house, seemingly uninjured.

Detective David Bradley said that Harrison was found shortly afterward near the scene and was arrested for public intoxication.

Harrison posted bond, but Saturday became a suspect in the incident, and by Saturday afternoon, turned himself in to police, Bradley said.

Florence Fire Chief Charles Cochran said that within seconds, the fire had spread up to the second floor and that the house was a total loss.

Jack Pounders, another neighbor, was watching television when he heard a loud noise and saw smoke coming from his neighbor's house.

Pounders saw Watson hanging from the second floor window as smoke bellowed out of the house. Pounders asked the retiree if anybody else was in the house and Watson answered no.

Authorities said, however, that Watson's dog died in the fire.

Pounders ran to his yard, where he had a 28-foot ladder, and as he ran back across the street, he saw Watson slide from the window and land on a concrete wall before landing on the sidewalk.

"If he had just waited," Pounders said.

Pounders said that Watson could talk after the fall, and an ambulance rushed to the scene shortly afterward.

The Pounderses have had three cars drive into their yard, and a driver hit their house 10 years ago.

The intersection at Hermitage Drive and Wood Avenue is X-shaped.

Saturday, the now-abandoned home remained charred where the truck hit, with melted vinyl siding and a collapsed roof.

By the porch, Watson's shoe remains at the scene amid the smashed glass.

This is a strong argument for "ornamental" boulders along your property line if you live along a busy road. Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery to Jim!
    The more I get to know people the more I like my dogs.

Jim is a heck of guy and splendid shooter - I wish him a speedy recovery. I am terribly sorry that such a thing has happened.

Jim C.

do we have anything set up to pass a hat?
    "ours is not to wonder why,
    ours is but to shoot the guy.

GSGT RD, USMC circa 1982

My little farm in Boulder was at a T-intersection with the vertical part of the "T" about 100 feet from the house. The house and property lay along the top part of the horizontal bar of the "T ."

As soon as we got our horses situated, I inspected the fencing around the property and I noticed that the barbed wire along that part of the "T" was rather loosely wrapped onto the fenceposts.

So I said to myself, "Self, this will never do," and repaired the fence in a workmanlike and proper manner. Good and sturdy and tight, yessireebob.

Sort of "out of the corner of my mind," I noticed the concrete-lined ditch which ran parallel to the road, about 18" across and about the same depth to the bottom of the "V," had some odd-looking cracks in it.

About a week later on a Saturday night, soon after the bars closed at 2:00 AM, I was awakened by a screech-thump-thump (as they went through the fence and over the concrete-lined ditch) and looked out our bedroom window to see headlights in the pasture.

Someone had failed to stop at the stop sign and went right through the intersection into our ground.

Screech-thump-thump.

Well, called the Highway Patrol, etc, etc, moved the horses into the other pasture, opened the pasture gate for the tow truck, repaired the fence the next AM after a sleepless night, moved the horses back.

The next time it happened, I had a sudden rush of brains to the head and realized why the concrete was cracked and why the fence had been wired up so loosely at that point.

Rinse and repeat twice more during the next year --all on Saturday nights, all right after the bars closed.

The Highway Department finally responded to my pleas and plaints and installed a big-assed yellow-and-black barricade at that point on my ground, with all kinds of reflectors on it, and several signs on the road along the vertical part of the "T" warning about the stop sign ahead.

It's been forty years since then, and I think nowadays they have a traffic signal at that point.

I dunno. I guess for some, drinking is fine. For others, it's a sin.

Get better, Jim Watson. Soon. I really feel bad about your dog.

Terry, 230RN

ETA: In case I miss it, somebody PM me if a hat-pass is set up.
    "Gun control is not about public safety, crime reduction, or 'the children.' Gun control is about power. The people have it, and the government would rather they didn't." (An internet poster, not myself.)

Jim is in intensive care. We can forward cards and letters to him via the club PO Box at:

Jim Watson
    c/o North Alabama Shooting Association, Inc.
    P. O. Box 3565
    Florence, AL 35630

Thanks for all the kind words and prayers ladies and gentlemen.

Danny Creasy
    Rimfire Match Director, NASA, Inc.

Terrible thing and I wish speedy recovery to Mr. Watson.

On the bright side, at least the news report didn't list him as having an arsenal that the rest of the militia had immediately hidden away.
    "In survival, you seize the high ground and set up a machine gun nest." Hardware on THR.us 1/7/10

Here's hoping for a full recovery for Mr Watson, a fair trial for the driver, and if found guilty a raging case of prison-caught herpes as well.

The lack of responsibility and the sheer deliberate ignorance of some people endangers us all, and this is a sad result of one man's poor choice to willfully endanger the public ... the man who did this had better never be behind the wheel again.
    DON'T PANIC

One of my answers to antis is that a soon as they take drunken driving, bad driving in general, as seriously as their anti gun ideas I will hold a conversation with them.

One of my answers to antis is that a soon as they take drunken driving, bad driving in general, as seriously as their anti gun ideas I will hold a conversation with them.
    Same here.
    You take the public's safety into your hands much more directly when you get behind the wheel than you do when you strap on a holstered pistol.

Think about the trust the people in oncoming traffic are giving you every day, think about the pedestrians along the side of the road.
    And other citizens (gun-control proponents) give that same trust to other drivers, and still want to have firearms removed from their fellow citizens possession.
    DON'T PANIC

nplant
    Loosedhorse - I curse plenty, so I'll say double enough for both of us. By since this is the High Road, I'll simply say, "I wish the best recovery for Mr. Watson, both in health and in home. And for the dingleberries that ruined his health and his property, and killed his friends' dog, I wish them everything that they deserve."

That sucks. Recover quickly Jim...
    Sic semper tyrannis

I pray for Jim's quick recovery.

I also pray that the alcoholic weasel who caused this has insurance.

Jamie
    Jamie

Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

Hope you have a speedy recovery Jim.

And I'll third or forth or how ever many to let us know if a hat gets passed.

Or if any parts are needed to repair his firearms. I have a spare parts box and I know a lot of other people here do as well.

jim
    Commom sense isn't very common anymore.

Prayers go out to Jim and those helping him. I don't know Jim personally but have read many of his posts. A well respected person.