Thread: .32 H&R Mag Ever in a Semi-Auto?

.32 H&R Mag Ever in a Semi-Auto?

I seem to recall, back in the day, that someone offered a small semi-auto pistol chambered in .32 H&R Mag when it first came out. I can't find any info on it now. Can someone confirm this, or am I hallucinating?

While possible and I have no actual knowledge either way - it seems unlikely, in general ammunition designed for revolvers creates design problems in feeding a semi-automatic.

Blue River Wisconsin, in a little hut in the woods
    Lots of 32 ACP's but no pistols in 32 H&R magnum which is a shame because I like that cartridge. However it was specifically designed for revolvers so I'm not to surprised.

I have a 32 mag revolver but if I was to buy another I would spring for the 327 and shoot all 3 calibers in it. To me it is the absolute minimum caliber I would recommend for a recoil sensitive person for a SD round. 32's are cheaper, more easily available and more likely to be shot for practice and still considerably better than a 22 or 25. so if you aren't prejudiced against revolvers I just say go ahead and get a wheel gun.
    1934 – National Firearms Act, 1968 – The Gun Control Act, 1986 – Firearms Owners Protection Act, 1993 – Brady Handguns Violence Act, 1994 – Assault Weapons Ban, 1995 – Gun Free School Zones Act, NO MORE COMPROMISING

Didnt H&R copy a webley and scott auto in .32acp?

Didnt H&R copy a webley and scott auto in .32acp?
    They got licensed to do that in 1909 but the 32 ACP is a whole different animal than the 32 H&R Mag. The H&R round was built specifically for revolvers in 1984 and the 32 ACP specifically for pistols by Browning in 1899. Only they called it the 7.65x17mm Browning SR (SR for semi-rimmed).
    1934 – National Firearms Act, 1968 – The Gun Control Act, 1986 – Firearms Owners Protection Act, 1993 – Brady Handguns Violence Act, 1994 – Assault Weapons Ban, 1995 – Gun Free School Zones Act, NO MORE COMPROMISING

Thanks, for the feedback, guys. I know rimmed rounds are rare in semi-autos, but not unheard of. I'll report back if I ever find it.

The problem with being an old guy is that some 10 year old gun magazine article may stick in your head forever. It may seem like a good idea, and the gunwriter may make it sound like the next big thing. It may also turn out to be about an extremely rare pistol, that, depending on your internet source, may or may not have ever been actually produced in the caliber in question.

So, all that rambling means I found my semi-auto in .32 mag. It's the American Derringer LM5.

American Derringer Link

The pistol is so happening that the website appears unchanged from the year 2000.

Heh, good memory. Still, it weighs in at ONLY 15 ounces! Thats an ounce more than a PM9, and 8 ounces more than a P3AT. Dimensions only a little smaller. I'd go with the modern options myself.

.32 H&R is kind of pathetic ballistically, compared to .30 Carbine, and it has a rim. I wish there were more semiauto pistols chambered in .30 Carbine. AFAIK, there's only the AutoMag III and maybe a Widely or Kimball.
    "Nobody wins in a Dairy Challenge" —Kenny Rogers

Sorry zxcvbob but that tickled my giggle, its like comparing a 38 spcl to a 30-30, one is a handgun round and the other is a rifle round.

If you are going to do that you should compare the 30 carbine to a 357, at least it would be fair.

Not to mention the automag III is nearly 3 pounds and 11 inches long. Apples and orangutans.

Heh, good memory. Still, it weighs in at ONLY 15 ounces! Thats an ounce more than a PM9, and 8 ounces more than a P3AT. Dimensions only a little smaller. I'd go with the modern options myself.
    I think that was the death knell of the idea. My S&W 431 revolver carries 6 rounds of .32 H&R Mag at 14 oz. vs. the LM5 with 4 rounds at 15 oz.

Still, would be a cool little collector's piece if you ever found one.

Now, if I could only remember something that was actually useful.