Thread: .270 to 6.5x55 conversion

.270 to 6.5x55 conversion

I have an old Remington 700 in .270 cal that I purchased in the late 60's. I never liked shooting it and so it has just collected dust most those years.

I have always wanted a 6.5x55 so I was wondering about re-barreling this rifle. Would I need a new bolt, or can this one be made into a correct fit for the original 6.5 brass? What I'd love to have is a barrel sized like on the Remington police rifles, maybe 26" or less but not a shorty. Also would want a target quality aperture sights front and rear. I am looking to have a nice 600 yard informal target rifle.

Should I just be looking for a different rifle or would converting this one be better?

Michael

You can make the existing bolt work. The 270 rim is 0.473 inches (nominally), and the 6.5x55 rim is 0.480 inches.

If you don't do the rebarrelling yourself, send the action to Pac-Nor. For under $600, they will true up your action and put a premium barrel on on it. Then, all you have to do is get your sights mounted and you are good to go.
    "There is no lie too grotesque, too stupid, or too base for leftist extremists to retell." -- Standing Wolf

Posted from my Ubuntu machine.

What is involved in making the bolt work? I have talked to people who have used the regular .473 bolt head but would prefer to have a proper fit.

Michael

We are talking about 0.007 inches here. Thats something you could do with emery cloth wrapped around a dowel across a commercial break during an episode of 24. But try the existing bolt first. Chances are it is large enough that you cannot tell the difference.
    "There is no lie too grotesque, too stupid, or too base for leftist extremists to retell." -- Standing Wolf

Posted from my Ubuntu machine.

I am still thinking about this project. What needs to be done to the action? Facing the action and lapping the lugs square?

I'd like about a 10 1/2 pound rifle or a little less. Would love to make a switch barrel rifle but im poor.

Michael