Thread: Canadian Geese Don't Make Good Neighbors

Canadian Geese Don't Make Good Neighbors

DOWN ON GEESE

Birds scoping out nesting grounds face fight with condo owner

By Jane Hawes
    FOR THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

POWELL — The view of the pond is a plus for Ken Hudson in his Powell condominium.
    The 39 Canada geese that gather daily in his front yard are not.
    “We can’t walk to the mailbox without stepping in their, you know, crap,” said Hudson, 60, who bought and retired to his Clermont Village home six years ago. “And lately they’re getting more aggressive. You can’t even sit out on your front porch sometimes because they’ll come right at you.”
    Aggressive geese are not an uncommon problem at this time of the year, but it is the perfect time of year to do something about them, said Gary Ludwig, wildlife-management supervisor for the Ohio Department of Natural Resources’ Division of Wildlife.
    “We’re getting on the early edge of the mating season right now,” Ludwig said. “The geese are re-establishing pair bonds and choosing nesting territories and defending spots. By the end of the month, there’ll be eggs on the ground, so it’s the perfect time to start harassing them.”
    Hudson’s front sidewalk is so dappled with goose droppings that he erected a fence of yellow caution tape along his 12- by 30-foot yard, hoping to both deter the geese and mobilize his neighbors to help.
    “There’s a health and safety issue I have with this,” Hudson said. “The filth is just horrendous.”
    Hudson has been told to take the tape down, but he said he’s not sure whether he will.
    Bill Jarrett, condo association president, said the community has been working with a management company to resolve the goose problem.
    Last weekend, a monofilament fence was installed around the retention pond that Hudson’s condo overlooks. Jarrett said that will, hopefully, keep the geese from waddling onto surrounding lawns. The association also bought a plastic, life-size swan to float in the pond. Swans are natural enemies of Canada geese.
    “We’re also looking into bringing dogs in to chase the geese, but that might be expensive,” Jarrett said.
    It takes consistent harassment over a sustained period to get rid of Canada geese, Ludwig said. His agency provides an online database of techniques that can be used legally and will not harm the birds. Canada geese are protected by federal law.
    But if harassment doesn’t work and a colony has become too large and entrenched, the Division of Wildlife does provide damage-control permits that allow private homeowners or licensed contractors to take more drastic action. The permits can be used between March 1 and Aug. 31, and are issued only after the applicant has proved that harassment failed.
    “The first kind (of permit) is egg-shaking nest destruction,” Ludwig said. “The second, which we don’t like to give out unless everything else doesn’t work, is for a roundup where the adults are euthanized and the young are shipped out to a wildlife preserve in Marion County.”
    Ludwig said the division receives up to 150 permit applications in its central Ohio district each year, either by mail or through an online form. About 100 are approved, with roughly 30 issued for euthanasia.
    But despite the need for such drastic measures, Ludwig said the public should be assured that it’s not habitat destruction causing these problems: “These more-urban habitats are very attractive to Canada geese, and they’ve adapted to them.”
    For more information about goose-damage control, visit the Web site of the Ohio Department of Natural Resources’ Division of Wildlife:
    www.dnr.state.oh.us/ Default.aspx?tabid= 5674#canada.
    janeehawes@verizon.net

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH
    I pulled this out of the Dispatch. Thirty years ago when I was an avid waterfowl hunter in Illinois if you got geese you had accomplished something. Now they are every where at least here in central Ohio they are year around and don't migrate or at least not in the traditional sense.

There was a side bar that wouldn't copy that said the weight range for Canadians was 6.6 to 19.8 pounds. I suppose if this included Brant on the light side and the Giant Canadians on the heavy side that would be the case although I didn't realize the Giants got that large.
    "Treason doth never prosper, what's the reason? For if it prosper, none dare call it treason." Sir John Harrington

"I just do what the little voices tell me." Me

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved." Unknown

Lobbyist (n): Person with a masters degree in bribery. B.C. (Hart)

"I didn't lose it I just forgot where I put it." My Wife

"Never corner anything that you know is meaner than you." Unknown

They are a real pest here. We have a small lake that seldom freezes about a half a mile from downtown. The giant Canadians love it, and they march around that end of the city like they own the place -- pretty much year round.
    "Nobody wins in a Dairy Challenge" —Kenny Rogers

The don't make very good neighbors, but they do make pretty good gravy.

I can remember when hunting geese was a highly technical calling. When geese were scarce and limits were small. Nowadays, the darn things are everywhere. We've got some that live on our pond year-round, as uninvited guests. Many times I've considered taking them with a pellet rifle, but that would probably be illegal, so I've refrained.

Shaking eggs (scramble) is good. It might get the goose/gander after you.

Just spray the eggs w/ oil and that also keeps em from hatching. Just smashing the eggs causes more to be laid. Scrambled/oiled eggs will be set on by the adults and sometime after Jul 4th they might realize they aint going to hatch.

Just a nit-pick. A canada goose is a large black, white and gray waterfowl.

A canadian goose is what you get if you're in the men's room and turn your back on a Mountie with an ear ring.

A rechargeable remote control vehicle can be constantly rammed into them and they will usually stay away from that area.

The only drawback is you have to be there to operate the remote.

You might be able to hook up a Roomba type device (automatic toy vacuum cleaner robot) to an RC vehicle to accomplish what you're after there, ADKWOODSMAN.

A pellet gun will not put a goose down, if they are anything like a wild turkey. From all impressions, they are. We've got a mess of both in the area: the kids have been chased by the turkeys in the fall, and my son was chased by geese when he was about 3-4.

We, too, have year-long open water nearby, and they've decided to make a home. We're pretty far north, too, but still they stay. They cross a fairly major/busy road into town with a 40mph posted limit. They (as with the turkeys) are hit with fair regularity. I've gotten a couple for the pot in that fashion (seeing people

Seems every year, the non-migratory population of geese grows.

(Hell, we even have a feral peacock in our area - the last of many escaped from a nearby person's "pet cage".)

Then, there are the so-called endangered mountain sheep. They're larger than the pictures do them justice, and they are, likewise, in the road in the mornings and evenings. They do not get out of the way and are much more dangerous than most other wild animals (deer in rut included). They'll attack vehicles which they feel threatening, and will charge people at the least provocation. Thankfully, people out here aren't stupid and are aware of such things, but still...

Does not a 10 gauge shotgun spring to mind !!!!!!!! or is that a NO NO

I see hundreds of Canucks daily...office is one the South Platte......I've totally lost interest in hunting them!
    Dan
    God our Father, walk through my house and take away all my worries and illnesses,and please watch over my family and our friends and the men and women who have fought and are fighting for our freedom.
    In Jesus's name.Amen

Toronto's entire Lake Ontario waterfront park system has been taken over by Canada geese. Great big, agressive, buggers they are too. Six foot plus wing spans.
    Saw one protecting its road killed mate, one day. SOB was taller than me. Mind you, that's not saying a lot, but the friggin' thing could have carried 500 lb. bombs.
    There's been talk of a controlled hunt. That'll never happen though.
    If you don't want 'em in your yard, remove the grass they eat.
    "...if they are anything like a wild turkey..." Far bigger than the biggest Tom.

Vern sez: Just a nit-pick. A canada goose is a large black, white and gray waterfowl.

A canadian goose is what you get if you're in the men's room and turn your back on a Mountie with an ear ring.
    Yup, yup, yup. A Canada goose doesn't make a good neighbor, but he makes a darned fine gravy.

http://www.globalbirdcontrol.com/pests/canada-geese.htm

Sounds like some population control is in order.
    When the going gets tough the tough get cyclic!
    "The Constitution is a restraining order against the federal government. I'm not going to say a word about the effectiveness of restraining orders against criminals." Standing Wolf

I haven't seen to many flocks of geese that only had one sentry goose - usually there are several at any time with their heads up. Geese are a lot of things, stupid and not aware/alert aren't two of them.
    "Treason doth never prosper, what's the reason? For if it prosper, none dare call it treason." Sir John Harrington

"I just do what the little voices tell me." Me

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved." Unknown

Lobbyist (n): Person with a masters degree in bribery. B.C. (Hart)

"I didn't lose it I just forgot where I put it." My Wife

"Never corner anything that you know is meaner than you." Unknown

REPUBLIC OF TEXAS, DISTRICT OF ROUND ROCK
    Egg shaking? So attacking the eggs is not illegal? I kind of like the sound of scrambling better, maybe even fried. I eat 2-4 eggs every morning, and fresh eggs sounds better than store bought eggs. Pluck the eggs from the nest as soon as they are laid. I sure wouldn't mind gathering eggs every night. Steal enough eggs from any bird, destroy the nest, and they will move on to other sites. But in the meantime, the grocery bill goes down a tad and the cuisine improves for a short while.
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
    --George Washington

As I live on a boat, keeping the geese from diciding my marina is home is a priority.

The best goose chasing weapon I have found is an Airsoft Electirc Gun. A stream of .20 gram plastic BBs at 600 rounds/min chases them pretty well, out to just shy of 100 yards with a generous hold over.

It gets them moving pretty good, and they DO learn to avoid you- while they still swim through the marina, they literally cut a wide berth around my boat, and they keep moving- some mornings, they take flight as soon as I step into the cockpit with my coffee cup.

And it's fun. And the local Blissninnies don't even blink.

A friend of mine, up on Long Island, makes a decent living with a pickup and a trio of border collies, driving around, chasing them off playgounds, marinas, and runways.

in additon to makeing a mess, they will drive off my mallards, scooter ducks, and heron.
    "ours is not to wonder why,
    ours is but to shoot the guy.

GSGT RD, USMC circa 1982

Blue River Wisconsin, in a little hut in the woods
    My Golden Retriever/Cocker Spaniel mix discovered quickly why geese are considered pretty good watch dogs. His yard therefore his territory. He charged off the back porch to chase the 2 Canadas away from the spot where I normally kept his food and water dish. Never saw a dog change his mind or his direction as fast as he did that day. I was pretty happy when they moved on, it was a real adventure getting from the house to the garage to get my car to get to work that week.
    1934 – National Firearms Act, 1968 – The Gun Control Act, 1986 – Firearms Owners Protection Act, 1993 – Brady Handguns Violence Act, 1994 – Assault Weapons Ban, 1995 – Gun Free School Zones Act, NO MORE COMPROMISING

Smile

I used to have tons of Canadian geese come on my one acre property on a fairly regular basis. There was a HUGE farm pond near my home in the middle of farm land and they would stop there and/or go to the river towards the lake. When my German Shepherd and other dogs were outside - they barked and scared them away.

East Harbor had a huge geese problem - they even scared away many seagulls. Both of them can be very, very messy whether you are hiking, camping, boating, on your own property, big poop time on your property and vehicles, etc. They can be VERY aggressive too. In some places on the lake... they are NOT afraid of people. Loons were up there a lot as they are out here too. I love to hear the sounds of ALL nature and I LOVE to hear loons on any size of a lake... sigh. SWEET!

Many pheasants, turkeys, deer, birds of all kinds, ducks, geese, etc. were on my property on a pretty regular basis almost daily. Gophers and some snakes too! About a mile from my former home some bald eagles made a nest... they were coming back to that area again. Some of the wildlife people were out there filming them.

I used to eat duck and a bit of goose fairly often when my late Father used to cook them up.

To the man who lives on a boat and plays clean up time as scrubbing your boat - have at it!

There is something mighty satisfying about washing boats to me... I would rather wash a boat on or off the water or a vehicle in a back yard or driveway than dust and sweep INSIDE of a house on a beautiful, warm spring, summer or fall day!

Catherine

This might peeve off the tree huggers, but if these animals are attacking (harassing) you on your own property, why can't you shoot them with say a .22 short (long rifle if needed).

I love the sight of birds as much as the next man, but this is ridiculous. It sounds like the article I saw 2 months ago about how cows supposedly cause global warming.

[Offtopic]I care, but in a nutshell I really do not. Al Gore has one of the largest electric utility bills in Nashville, TN and he literally wrote the book on this nonsense. The global warming summit, yeah that worked real well. Nothing accomplished and all these dignitaries and experts flew in on private jets to Copenhagen and had to fly empy jets to neighboring countries to park them. And they could not have the summit without private limos from Germany. Me and my 32 mpg car and a hamburger really hurt the environment a lot.[/Offtopic]

When animals become so aggressive they are not only a nuissance, but are actually degrading your quality of life then they need to be taken care of. Just because a goose may not be able to hurt me does not mean it cannot hurt a 3-5 year old. No, I do not advocate or wish to Rambo on wildlife in my yard, but I will do what has to be done. Small amounts of droppings from 1-2 animals do not bother me, but 8-10 of the large birds will make it miserable and unsafe. I am not a chemist but I do know high quantities of dung (and yes it is a good fertilizer to a point) both smells terrible and can kill grass and cause other problems. When mowing your yard involved kevlar pants for the bird bombs you might have a problem (and yes this is exaggerated)

1) Try scaring it off. The harassment, BB gun, barking dog, anything that works.
    2) Try getting the local wildlife experts involved to trap or relocate it.
    3) As a last resort for agressive animals, have a few burials in the back. Animals are smart, after 1 or 2 they get the picture real quick.

This might peeve off the tree huggers, but if these animals are attacking (harassing) you on your own property, why can't you shoot them with say a .22 short (long rifle if needed).
    Because they are migratory birds and are covered by Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918, covered in USC Title 16, Chapter 7, Subchapter II. This law is the perfect example of the Law of Unintended Consequences, and the direct progenitor of the Law of Three Esses.
    "There is no lie too grotesque, too stupid, or too base for leftist extremists to retell." -- Standing Wolf

Posted from my Ubuntu machine.

Sorry to hear that! Good thing I don't have any issue regarding my neighbors because they are all nice to me. Regardless of what Robert Frost authored, great fences do not make great neighbors. If you are sort of person who doesn't work at building solid relationships with your neighbors, you're passing up on some mutually beneficial household and economic possibilities. So be a better neighbor! Here are just some of the major advantages of knowing your neighbor.

Canada geese seem to be a feathered equivalent of the feral hog: an invasive species that drives off/crowds out more desirable native wildlife and makes the environment nastier for everyone left.
    Cogito me cogitare; ergo, cogito me esse.

Between Canada and Snow geese, they are destroying the vegatation in the Arctic. Like deer, there are so many of them now that they are actually ripping out the plants AND their roots, so nothing grows back.

What I fail to understand is that, instead of "relocating" an animal that can just fly back to "Point A", why can they be handled like chickens and turkeys and the meat be given to food pantries and shelters?

After all, it IS a "renewable resource"!!
    Life Member of both NRA and North American Hunting Club
    “Crime is to be expected since humans are never perfect. But the failure of Justice may be more damaging to Society than the crime itself.” - - Clarence Darrow

Thanks for sharing! Well, getting to know the people who live nearby helps create a sense of belonging and shared identity in our local area. It also helps to strengthen connections. Apparently, make understanding the advantages of knowing your neighbor important in your life. By doing so, you will reap the benefits of a happier, healthier life that is just a little less depressed.

Thanks for sharing this with us. They really aren't good neighbors. There was a time when I experienced this. It was terrible! Since we're at it, I would like to share something about being or having good neighbors. Regardless of what Robert Frost authored, great fences do not make great neighbors. If you are sort of person who doesn't work at building solid relationships with your neighbors, you're passing up on some mutually beneficial household and economic possibilities. So be a better neighbor! Here are just some of the major advantages of knowing your neighbor.

Some ways to scare geese away work better than others. All work better where the landscaping makes geese wary, and much better where you have also addled or used contraception so geese are not tending flightless goslings. Until their young can fly at the end of summer, these aversive conditioning techniques are not a humane option.
    "The truest freedom is of the mind…a conscious act to embrace the unknown." tyler hjemmeside