Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pocket Declaration of Independence/Constitution of The United States

Administrator    

Pocket Declaration of Independence/Constitution of The United States

Hello Highroaders:

I'm reposting an offer I made some time ago to THR members. Years back, I ordered up a box of pocket-size booklets containing The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of The United States from the Heritage Foundation. At the time, you could get a few dozen of these for free. I believe, however, that a small donation currently is required (around $1 each for a box of 20 or so).

When I was back in school, I remember getting a pocket-size Constitution from a customer rep. working for our friends over at Westlaw (legal research/publications/search engine company). I still have it, and it takes up permanent space in a pocket of my "go-everywhere portfolio". It's been one of those things I'd never have thought of going out and looking for (after all, you always can get the text from one website or another), but having one in pocket form, kinda neat to have around.

Since I've been packing and preparing for a move in the near future, I found that I still have about a dozen of the Heritage Foundation booklets left. If anyone here is interested in me sending one out to them (FREE, of course, and I'll take care of the stamps/shipping), send me a pm with your home address (or business/employment address, or even a p.o. box, as I understand the need for privacy, even here), and I'll get one out to you ASAP.

I figure it timely, with a certain founding father's b-day around the corner. Enjoy the upcoming weekend!

Mike

PM sent. Good luck with your move.

Parker

Nice thing to do!

I got a small stack of them a few years ago, gave them to the kids and kids-in-laws for Christmas.
    I also have The Constitution as an app on my iphone.
    Some people are like slinkies. Not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Administrator    
    If the iphone app's a free one, tell me more, maybe we could make it sticky for one of the subforums.

And thanks, definitely good for the kids to get an early start (especially when it's bundled with a pocket dictionary - as essential as pen and paper).

PM Has been sent

PM sent!
    Jamie

Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

PM sent, and many thanks!

Following the second's kind offer, I have attached the following PDF File, which contains all of the text from:

1) The Declaration of Independence
    2) The US Constitution
    3) The Bill of Rights

It looks very good when printed on Ivory Resume' paper.

I had scans of the original documents at the end of the file, but had to remove them to meet the minimum file size.
    Let me know if you are interested, and I can post them in a seperate file.

I initially did this work several weeks ago for myself, as I became interested due to discussions on THR.

REgards,

Jamie
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Jamie

Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

Administrator    
    Thanks, Jamie B.

I'll look into how we can get this posted for the membership.

And 3 left, ladies and gentlemen. Operators are standing by.

Reading the signers of the D of I leads to a question, why did Charles Carroll have his name followed by of Carrollton? What made that so special?
    Lets give Tennessee the best gun laws in the country!
    http://www.tfaonline.org/index.php
    http://www.tfaonline.org/forum
    NRA - Benefactor, TFA - Life, GOA - Life

Administrator    
    (apparently, to distinguish himself from his father, and to ensure George would know where to look, if he were so inclined.)

2 DoI/CotUS booklets left. First come, first enlightened.

Blue River Wisconsin, in a little hut in the woods
    Charles Carroll of Annapolis granted Carrollton Manor to his son, Charles Carroll of Carrollton. It is from this tract of land that he took his title, “Charles Carroll of Carrollton.”

Carroll was a voice for independence in Maryland. In 1772 he engaged in a debate conducted through anonymous newspaper letters and maintained the right of the colonies to control their own taxation. As a Roman Catholic, he was barred from entering politics, practicing law, and voting.

It is reputed that the First Amendment to the Constitution was written in appreciation for his financial support during the Revolutionary War by his peers discerning his contributions in such stark contrast to the denial of civic rights due to his Catholicism. However, writing in the Maryland Gazette under the pseudonym "First Citizen," he became a prominent spokesman against the governor's proclamation increasing legal fees to state officers and Protestant clergy. Carroll served on various committees of correspondence.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles..._of_Carrollton
    Died at 95, longest lived signer of the Declaration of Independence. Died rich but in poor health and alone, alcoholism and a failed marriage prove money isn't everything.
    1934 – National Firearms Act, 1968 – The Gun Control Act, 1986 – Firearms Owners Protection Act, 1993 – Brady Handguns Violence Act, 1994 – Assault Weapons Ban, 1995 – Gun Free School Zones Act, NO MORE COMPROMISING

PM sent, and thanks!
    My brother has one, but it's with him out in New Mexico. It might not be the same edition, but the one he had had not just the Declaration of Independence and Constitution, but also info about the founding fathers, and the Articles of confederation.
    I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
    Yes, I am a Pro-Gun Democrat, but with a strong streak of libertarianism.
    Proud native of New Hampshire. Live free or Die!

PM sent

Thanks!
    Telekinesis
    How did I get this name again?
    After reading the last update about this girl.... Drop her like an empty magazine. -InkEd
    Before you tell me that it is illegal for me to own any of my pistols, please acquaint yourself with Federal Code 18 U.S.C. 922(x) and Alabama Code 13A-11-76

If you still have one left, I'll take it. PM coming.
    Last edited by SCKimberFan; February 19th, 2010 at 08:13 PM.
    Igonrance is temporary, but stupidity is forever.

I have one of these. They're nice, but the Heritage Foundation is a bunch of loons.

Administrator   
    PM sent, but I think I am too late.
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

http://czforumsite.info/

Administrator    
    The booths are now closed. Thanks for all the responses! All of those members who received a pm from me have one pocket-DoI/CotUS reserved, to be put in the mail sometime tomorrow (please account for the upcoming holiday).

In, the meantime, if I scare any more up (sorry, no promises, but a couple may turn up when I turn over seat cushions or check through the folders/drawers again) I will notify anyone else who did not receive a pm as of this time.

It looks like there might be some interest here, so I'll be looking into different ways of getting more of these or something similar (hopefully free, but if there's a nominal cost, I might just do it too).

I'm going to keep this thread open, for now, if you have any comments, suggestions, or leads, to add.

Thanks Highroaders! And enjoy the weekend!

thesecond-

Thank you very much for being kind enough to do this!

Very appreciated!!

Jamie
    Jamie

If the iphone app's a free one, tell me more, maybe we could make it sticky for one of the subforums.
    Two apps show up at the store: one's free, one is .99. I have the free one and all the words are there. I don't know what your buck buys you, though.
    Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.
    Theodore Roosevelt

I got a box of 100 a few months ago and hand them out at work (USAF).

Might have to get more soon...

Just out of curiosity, do your copies include the Preamble to the Bill of Rights? I ask because Cato (and others) do, but the US GPO's version does not.

I can't imagine why the government wouldn't want to publicize language like
    THE Conventions of a number of the States having at the time of their adopting the Constitution, expressed a desire, in order to prevent misconstruction or abuse of its powers, that further declaratory and restrictive clauses should be added: And as extending the ground of public confidence in the Government, will best insure the beneficent ends of its institution

RESOLVED by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America, in Congress assembled, two thirds of both Houses concurring, that the following Articles be proposed to the Legislatures of the several States, as Amendments to the Constitution of the United States, all or any of which Articles, when ratified by three fourths of the said Legislatures, to be valid to all intents and purposes, as part of the said Constitution; viz.:

ARTICLES in addition to, and Amendment of the Constitution of the United States of America, proposed by Congress, and ratified by the Legislatures of the several States, pursuant to the fifth Article of the original Constitution.

[emphasis mine]
    Be cruel. Make someone think.

Hmmm. I think if the federal government was to uphold and abide by the Constitution, it would indeed extend the ground(s) of public confidence in them.

Parker

I think if the federal government was to uphold and abide by the Constitution, it would indeed extend the ground(s) of public confidence in them.
    It would be inevitable.

Ah, but those words in the Oaths of Public Office are mere sounds, set adrift in the wind.

protect and defend.... foof! away in the breeze...

all enemies, foreign and domestic... like curling smoke, dissipating in the air...

then it's back to Greed, and Power, and Influence, and Getting Re-elected...

Terry, 230RN
    "Gun control is not about public safety, crime reduction, or 'the children.' Gun control is about power. The people have it, and the government would rather they didn't." (An internet poster, not myself.)

Just out of curiosity, do your copies include the Preamble to the Bill of Rights? I ask because Cato (and others) do, but the US GPO's version does not.
    Mine does!

Jamie
    Jamie