View Poll Results: Carring a Handgun into a National Park,What Will Be Your Most Likely Caliber?

Voters
145. You may not vote on this poll
  • 22 long or short

0 0%
  • 25 auto

0 0%
  • 32 auto

0 0%
  • 32 magnum

1 0.69%
  • 380 auto

2 1.38%
  • 38 special

4 2.76%
  • 9 mm luger

26 17.93%
  • 357 magnum

27 18.62%
  • 357 sig

3 2.07%
  • 40 s&w

12 8.28%
  • 10 mm auto

14 9.66%
  • 41 rem. magnum

2 1.38%
  • 44 special

1 0.69%
  • 44 magnum

11 7.59%
  • 45 auto

32 22.07%
  • 45 long colt

5 3.45%
  • 454 casull

0 0%
  • 480 ruger

0 0%
  • 50 s&w

1 0.69%
  • other,please mention in post

4 2.76%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Poll:Carrying a Handgun into a National Park, What Will Be Your Most Likely Caliber?

Poll:Carrying a Handgun into a National Park, What Will Be Your Most Likely Caliber?

Perhaps this will break down on the geography:Glacier N.P.,MT .40 or more,Acadia N.P. ME. less.Perhaps not.

Hopefully this will be more interesting than 9 vs 45.
    All input is sincerely appreciated.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

'Harry Callahan' Magnum Force 1973

I'll most likely carry the same pistol I carried in the last three NPs I visited....

Much as I love the 1911/45 combo, for just running around the fields and forests (exploring, taking pics, just "grokking" nature) I used to carry a .357 with a 6" barrel most of the time --a Model 19. But not all of the time.

I tended to balance things out... .22 rifle, .357 handgun. Center fire rifle, .22 handgun (usually a Ruger Standard.)

Terry, 230RN
    "Gun control is not about public safety, crime reduction, or 'the children.' Gun control is about power. The people have it, and the government would rather they didn't." (An internet poster, not myself.)

I voted 10mm, if I can ever get used to my G29. I haven't even really got it broken in yet either.
    Otherwise, my trusty old Bulldog .44 spl or my S&W M60 (.357).
    Texas, by God!

I've always carried my G17 for the capacity. spare 30 rd mag if it's just a day hike. If I want light then it is .45ACP in a revolver, S&W325pd.
    No, holding that venegence upon their enemies was more to be desired than any personal blessings, and reckoning this to be the most glorious of hazards, they joyfully determined to accept the risk... Thus, choosing to die resisting, rather than to live submitting, they fled only from dishonor... Pericles' Funeral Oration

...What will be your most likely caliber?
    The one that fits the chamber(s) in the gun I'm carrying?

OK; 10 mm, simply because I normally carry a G20 anyway.

I can only carry one?
    I'd planned on a combination of .32acp, 9mm, tokarev, and .45acp … just to make a point about guns not automatically causing violence.

Please add an "all" option!
    DON'T PANIC

I voted other. The caliber would be 45, the gauge would be 410, (is .410 a caliber, it seems so). Or it may be 9mm, unless I finally convince myself I can't live without a 45 ACP of some sort.

Milo H. AKA myjudge45410

Administrator   
    If just walking around a local park area, just my CZ P01, 9mm.

If camping out, this would go along.

If I ever get the 20 round mag I ordered last year that will fit well in place, (30 is too long, dagnabbit), and holds three 30 rounders in the outer pocket. I would have to hope 7.62x39mm will slow down a bear, as this is the only way I have come up with to conceal a rifle in public so as not to unduely frighten the easily excited.
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

http://czforumsite.info/

There's a difference too between visiting the backcountry and staying on the roads and campgrounds, as well as east vs. mountain states, etc.

But don't forget, even though we are now allowed to carry, that doesn't mean that we are allowed to interfere with a grizzly's dinner selection. I expect that remains illegal.

Ken

Up untill 2 days ago it would have been .357 mag, but sadly I traded them both away this week, so I guess it is the XD9 on me, and the Mossberg 500 in the truck
    "Patriotism is not a short and frenzied outburst of emotion but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime."
    -Adlai Stevenson

Depends on which park and what I'm doing. For some it might be the Smith 442 in 38 SPL or 6904 in 9mm but off the beaten path you can expect me to have on my Smith 58 in .41 Mag.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Iraq: 91,03-06,08, 09,15 & 16'
    Afghanistan: 09,10',11',14',17' & 18'

I think I'd also go for the Harold Fish special. Probably a different answer in Denali, though.

i'll just be carrying my everyday carry gun. an HK USP-Compact .40. i'll just carry it in a Blackhawk Serpa openly instead of concealed like i usually do. i own some property a couple hundred yards away from the Willapa National Wildlife Refuge, Lewis Unit and i used to have to watch where i was hiking. thankfully i don't have to worry about that any more

Bobby
    They're, Their, and There. It's NOT that hard.

Misconceptions abound here! The new rules apply ONLY to Concealed handguns, IAW the laws of the State that you are in at the time. You MUST have a CCW for the gun you are carrying, and it MUST be concealed. Unless it's hunting season, leave everything else behind. Be sure to read the law thoroughly. I got the whole felonious treatment last year at Lake Meade, for open carrying a Glock 19. They "liked" me, so they didn't take my guns or put me in jail. It was a $250 fine

Administrator   
    that doesn't mean that we are allowed to interfere with a grizzly's dinner selection
    If I am on the menu, I'll be "interferin'" like mad!

The new rules apply ONLY to Concealed handguns, IAW the laws of the State that you are in at the time. You MUST have a CCW for the gun you are carrying, and it MUST be concealed.
    http://www.nps.gov/pefo/parkmgmt/upl...ure_2-2010.pdf

This says differant. AZ CCW allows multiple carry, and any lawful weapon carry, including those on the National Registry.
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

http://czforumsite.info/

Most likely to be a .38 spl revolver.
    NRA Benefactor
    MSSA Life Member

10mm, my Glock 29. 200 gr Double Tap loads.
    "Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.".......John F. Kennedy

Originally posted by csmkersh:

I'll most likely carry the same pistol I carried in the last three NPs I visited....
    What three national parks did you visit 2 days ago? How did you manage that? I assume you just walked in and walked out so you could see them, but sadly you probably didn't get to experience them.

Wasn't it illegal to carry into a national park before 2 days ago?

I picked "other".

Most places I would carry my normal anti-human rounds of .45 ACP or .357 Mag.

Places where there are BIG BEARS or BUFFALO it would be a .44 Mag single action loaded with ALL up magnum loads and some more mag loads and some lighter combat loads for a reload.

East of the Mississippi the meanest things I can think of dealing with would be a black bear, whitetail buck in rut or a 'gator.

Buckshot

9x19mm cause that's all I have.

If it's Bear or Big Cat Country my .44 mag. Otherwise it's my .45 Auto.
    A Non-Profit Pet Lover's Forum www.Pets-R-Great.org
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "There Is No Greater High Than Defeating Armed Felons" Rich-D

Misconceptions abound here! The new rules apply ONLY to Concealed handguns, IAW the laws of the State that you are in at the time. You MUST have a CCW for the gun you are carrying, and it MUST be concealed.
    You are correct insofar as misconceptions abound, including yours. Open carry is legal in the park if it's legal in the state. You do NOT need a CCW license if the state does not require one for what you are doing.

"Gun control is not about public safety, crime reduction, or 'the children.' Gun control is about power. The people have it, and the government would rather they didn't." (An internet poster, not myself.)

The same Glock 17 I carry everywhere else.