Thread: Purpose of a scope sunshade

Purpose of a scope sunshade

newbie-style question here....

I got a Bushnell 4200 scope a year or so ago, and with it came a thread-on sunshade. I didn't really pay much attention to it, but saw it again the other day and am curious as to the purpose of them. I originally guessed that it was to keep a bright sun from affecting sight picture, but now I'm wondering if its real intended purpose is to reduce glare that the target game (coyote, whatever) might see? Or is it both?

From my limited understanding... it's both. If you've ever looked toward the rising or setting sun, you've learned that the flare can make a scope almost unuseable. If you keep the lens in shadow, there's less of a change of glare, flash, or flare.

"...a bright sun from affecting sight picture..." Yep. A varmint wouldn't know or care what reflected light was. Common thing in nature anyway.

Thanks for the info. I'll have to take it to the range with me next time to try shooting with it. If it works like it should, it'll be a go-to tool during daytime hunting/range time.

While trying to shoot a woodchuck that was backed by the setting sun my buddy and I couldn't find it in the scope due to the sun effecting on the image. We rolled up a target and placed it off the front end of the scope. Problem solved, dead chuck.

They also help or eliminate any "heat waves" from the barrel which causes distortion through the optics especially when the power is cranked up on variable scopes.

Much like lens-hoods in photography, the purpose of the shade is to reduce/eliminate "lens flare".
    This article discusses for photography but the same applies for scopes which can have lens flare so badly it washes out the whole image (as shown in this image).

Now the "honeycomb" filters are to prevent lens flash/glint back to the target. Important for the military and also useful for wildlife photographers (don't tell ME that animals don't react to lens flash/glint. I've been doing wildlife photography too long to believe that).
    "The dogs bark, but the caravan moves on"