Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .40 Caliber Sub-compact autos with thumb saftey

.40 Caliber Sub-compact autos with thumb saftey

I am looking for a Sub-compact semiauto pistol in 40 caliber but I would prefer one with thumb saftey.

All I saw in the store are ones without them (Glocks, Sigs, and Springfield XDs).

Is there a sub-compact 40 with a thumb safety?
    Saying guns cause crime is like saying spoons cause Rosie O'Donnell to be fat

XD's can have thumb safeties. I checked the manual on my XD 40 SC to see if it is mentioned but the manual is the same one issued for my XD 45 so no real help there - it just says some XDs have thumb safeties. My XD 45 does have a safety - I didn't even realize they were available till I got the thing home and noticed it as every one I'd looked at or fired before buying it didn't have one.

So even if they are made for the XD 40 SC, it may be difficult to find one. It may be worth a call to springfield to see if they can help you track one down and have it shipped to a local FFL.

Hi Ryan JD,

Welcome to THR.

Here's some ..

Beretta PX4 sub-compact : https://www.berettausa.com/e2wItemMa...364:3100001370

CZ RAMI : http://cz-usa.com/products/by-category/handguns/

Glocks can be fitted with the Cominolli safety : http://www.cominolli.com/ourproducts.html

*Kahr has a PM9 (9mm) w/thumb safety .. I didn't see a .40, though maybe that's coming soon? : http://www.kahr.com/PA-1_9mm_pm.html

*Springfield? I couldn't find a sub-compact XD or XDm w/thumb safety, but then I couldn't see the XDm site fully .. : http://www.springfield-armory.com/index.php

*As J.C. says, maybe give 'em a call.

S&W M&P sub-compact w/thumb safety : http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...-1&isFirearm=Y

I can only think of five models and three of them are based on the CZ-75 design, it a very good design but they 3 models are basically the same.

Taurus Milleninum Pro

Attachment 89507

Here's a Picture of the Beretta PX4 mentioned above:
    Attachment 89506

These are based on the CZ-75:

Similar to the CZ Rami mentioned above but I don't have a pic of that:
    Attachment 89508

IWI Jericho compact
    Attachment 89505

EAA Witness Compact
    Attachment 89504

If I was in the market for a pistol like this I would probably get the Beretta
    Last edited by mesinge2; October 31st, 2010 at 12:03 PM.
    "There are three and only three ways to reform our Congressional legislation, familiarly called, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box".
    - Stephen Decatur Miller (May 8, 1787 March 8, 1838)

Thumbs down Yer pays yer money, ya takes your chances...

If you don't have your heart set on a 40, you might consider a 9mm for the usual reasons:
    1. Cheaper ammo
    2. Less muzzle flip ('specially on sub-compacts)
    3. Easier/quicker double-taps due to less muzzle flip?

I've got a Taurus PT-145 (you can get 'em in various calibers, single or double stack). As the earlier poster stated, they come with a thumb safety.

Damn nice little gun-comfortable, lots of features, pretty good price although they're starting to creep upward. Now for the bad...

I tell folks the only thing wrong with mine (knock on wood) is it's made by Taurus! I've got a 2nd generation (they're now on their 3rd), and knew I was taking a chance due to their spotty QC-I'm thinking their QC has gone down since I bought mine. I have a relative that's a gunsmith at a local shop, and darn if it doesn't seem every time I visit he's working on a new Taurus before the shopowner can put it in the case for sale! He told me it's not any particular model-looks like it's across the board. Last 4 times I visited, he was working on a new Taurus 3 of those times.

That ain't good odds (let's hope Taurus gets a handle on this before they destroy the company)!
    It only becomes class warfare when the working class decides to fight back.
    When they don't, it simply becomes a case of economic genocide.
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member

I like the look of that Jericho, I can't find their site on the web though.

Does anyone know the site address?

If he was going to consider a 9mm, its hard to go wrong with the Kahr PM9 if you can afford it. I believe it is the smallest, lightest subcompact made in that caliber, very well made and handles hot effective loads like Gold Dot 124gr +P very well with surprisingly little recoil considering its weight. Its only drawback is a lower capacity due to the single stack magazine but its a joy to carry compared to my XD SC - its 10 ounces lighter and dimensions are a lot smaller as well. The 2010 models do now have an optional thumb safety.

For a .40 cal though I want the heavier handgun, I think the PM40 is too light for that cartridge.

I like the look of that Jericho, I can't find their site on the web though.

Does anyone know the site address?
    I think Charles Daly was the importer for IWI, and their gone.

I don't know how to get a new one.
    You can probably find a used one of gun broker.
    "There are three and only three ways to reform our Congressional legislation, familiarly called, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box".

I'm totally happy W/ my RAMI
    It is your dissatisfaction with what IS that is the source of all of your unhappiness. Matthew Scudder

"I think Charles Daly was the importer for IWI, and their gone."

If Daly is gone now do you go about getting a new one?

If you are willing to consider a discontinued (therefore probably used) model, look at a Beretta 9000S in either .40 or 9mm. Two things to be aware of: First, it is a small gun for people with large hands. Second, the safety system takes some getting used to. Levers on both sides, and setting the safety requires lifting both of them simultaneously using the non-shooting hand. Releasing the safety is easily done with one finger. Once the safety is on, it can be carried with the hammer either up or down.

Has anyone had this done to their Glock or know of one who has

http://cominolli.com/faq.html

Q. Will installation of the Cominolli MSKTM (Manual Safety KitTM) void my GlockTM Warranty?

A. We have never had a customer inform us of GlockTM refusing warranty service on their firearm because the Cominolli Manual Safety KitTM was installed.
    Regards

Beside the beautiful Chesapeake Bay in Va.
    I own three CZ pistols in .40 S&W. One is a full sized CZ 75B in .40, another is a CZ 40B, and the third is a CZ 75 Compact. I carry the 40 B and the Compact. CZs are lesser known than other makes, but extremely dependable and accurate firearms, extremely ergonomic, and a pleasure to shoot. And compared to other pistols known for dependability and accuracy, they're relatively inexpensive. All three have a thumb safety.
    USMC Recon, 67-68
    SEMPER FI!

best 40cal with thumb safety :

Perhaps it would help if you let everyone know your intended purpose-CC, HD, etc?

FWIW, my main CCW was an XDSC40, but I've since gone to an XDSC9 since mag redesign upped 9mm capacity. I've got one o' the old XDSCs (pre-Tennifer/Melonite), and back when I bought it there was only 1 round difference between the 40 and 9-at's why I went with the 40 back then. They've since redesigned the 9's mags, and they now hold 3 more rounds than the 40. Over the years I've tended to move down in caliber as SD ammo gets better-I went with the 9 to decrese muzzle flip, and the added rounds don't hurt.

Now the XDSC's don't have a thumb safety, and they are tending to get a little thick if CC is your primary concern (in warm weather), but you could do a lot worse.

Just curious why you want a thumb safety (not that there's anything wrong with that)! Do you just prefer them, or are you a newb (looked at your post count) that feels better with 'em?
    As one who grew up with 1911s, I have no problem with 'em, but a grip safety is passive (heat of the moment and all that), and with proper holstering technique provide an added measure of safety when reholstering.
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member

+1000000 on the EMP! /DROOL ON /drool of

Perhaps it would help if you let everyone know your intended purpose-CC, HD, etc?
    It would be for concealed carry

I like the look of that EMP, how much does that run?

Just curious why you want a thumb safety (not that there's anything wrong with that)! Do you just prefer them, or are you a newb (looked at your post count) that feels better with 'em?
    I just got my license started carrying about 4 months ago, and I have been carrying a friend's Glock compact in 40 caliber.

I shoot it very well but I don't feel comfortable without the safety yet, maybe after I carry to a little while longer

REPUBLIC OF TEXAS, DISTRICT OF ROUND ROCK
    I like the look of that EMP, how much does that run?
    If you have to ask - ......

Look into a 45 cal of the same 3" compact 1911. Great selection, and in RI, Colt, Para, or several other brands, a LOT cheaper.
    Sure the EMP is nice, but IMHO - WAY overpriced for what you get.
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
    --George Washington

If you have to ask - ......
    That bad huh, wow

REPUBLIC OF TEXAS, DISTRICT OF ROUND ROCK
    Just another thought,
    If it is a gun you are going to carry, it will be exposed to salt off your body, maybe rain and fuzz and lots of other stuff. You will be leaving it in the car when you can't carry inside, etc...... All this just to say that the possibility of damage or loss is much higher with a carry gun. Plain, reliable, accurate and not too expensive are the keys I look for in my carry guns. Most of the time I carry a Sigma 9 or a Taurus 45 compact - both very reliable, both hard hitters, both inexpensive. The Sigma does not have a safety, but the Taurus does. Just things to think about when selecting a carry gun. Also - do not misunderstand my comment on the EMP - I have one. It's much too nice (and expensive) for me to consider carrying most of the places I have to go.
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
    --George Washington

My pics...

I'd get either a Smith & Wesson M&P .40S&W compact or the HK USP Compact with a custom ambi safety.

Both pistols are proven and in use by military/LE forces. Each design also has frame mounted ambi safety levers. The USP also has ambi-mag releases too.
    The S&W compact mag release can be switched.
    I think the HK USPcompact may come in the LEM trigger format but Im not sure if it works with safety controls also.

The HK's hammer fired design is better than the striker fired M&P design if you want to put your shooting hand thumb on the hammer as you re-holster.

The S&W also has a lifetime factory service plan too.

Rusty S
    TUBBS: What makes us better than them?
    CROCKETT: We're better shots.
    NBC's Miami Vice

I have been putting it off, but I think be next gun is going to be the Springer EMP

I think the HK USPcompact may come in the LEM trigger format but Im not sure if it works with safety controls also.
    He's getting recommendations all over the map AFA price-do you have a price range?

If not, he could always get a USPC Variant 1 (decocker/thumb safety)?
    I've got one, but plans change and I never carry it as I originally intended.
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member

Not look to spend more that $800.

I looked up some of the prices and most are between $600 and $700.

But that EMP is like $1300, WOW

The Springfield XD Sub is a good little gun and currently can be had with the 9 and 12 round mags, as well as the Kydex holster and mag carrier. Davidsons has a number of them in stock. My daughter in law got one and loves it, and she is tiny. Of course, its long range accuracy is marginal, due to the 3" barrel, but I think I may get one for myself. I have been carrying the Springfield P9-LSP in .40 for years -- same as CZ 75 and related guns -- and it is a nice gun, but a bit too big for CCW.
    The uneducated and the misinformed are easily led astray. -- John Mellencamp

I remember when Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms was a shopping list and not a government agency.