Thread: quality double magazine carriers?

quality double magazine carriers?

I'm looking for magazine carriers for concealed carry, preferably IWB, with two slots.
    I've been waiting for CrossBreed to update their offerings in this category, and I'm about ready to seek another supplier.
    Currently I have a single carrier for a single-stack 9mm mag (pretty nice, CrossBreed's old design) but I'd rather have two for balance as much as for more rounds. Other than the CB model, all I've used is belt pouches pirated from multi-tools.
    I asked CB if they would make me a minituck holster with mag slots instead of a pistol shell, they declined. Would any other hybrid IWB makers do that?

If not IWB, an OWB setup needs to be mighty tight to the belt.

Currently seeking carriers for 1911 mags and Walther PPS mags, I'm not sure if one carrier would work for both, but I'd be willing to spend more on one that could, so long as it still held both well, and I'd be willing to try making my own spacers to get the PPS mags into an oversize carrier, assuming someone has a really great 1911 mag holder that doesn't come in a smaller size or is a bit on the pricey side.

I'm measuring the PPS's cross-section at 12x33mm, and the 1911 mags at 14x34mm.

Thanks in advance for the help!
    DON'T PANIC

BFD,

There is a train of thought that says that you are better off with two single mag carriers side by side than you are with a double, figuring one of the other of the pouches on the double are always going to be slightly wrong for proper mag draw while two singles can be individually adjusted for proper angle.

Buckshot

I don't need a perfect magazine draw, and the single IWB carrier I do have shifts around because of its size and shape.
    So long as a carrier isn't presenting the mags splayed out like Springfield's freebie ones, I'll be OK.

Of course, if I found singles that wouldn't move about and annoy me, then I'd consider them.

Some additions to the OP … the 1911 magazine are officer's size, and tuckable doesn't really matter to me.
    DON'T PANIC

You could try Sideguard Holsters.
    Here is my Sideguard double mag holder for single stack mags. It is IWB, tuckable and very comfortable.
    Eric's prices are very good for custom work and the lead time is low.

Dave,
    Check out D.M. Bullard leather. He's got a few styles, and the one I have is a IWB metal clip single pouch, and it stays put.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

What about something like this, but with the belt over it to keep it in tight?

I grabbed a Fobus on-belt 2x carrier that will actually hold either the 1911 or PPS mags, due to having a section of the inside bowed inwards. It isn't a final answer, but it will get me by for a while as I research something closer to perfect.

As much as it pained me to do, I went outside the CrossBreed supply line and EMailed the folks at KHolster about a hybrid IWB mag carrier, hopefully they will have an existing template or at least be willing to experiment ... I'm wondering if the extra space on a KHolster / SuperTuck style holster can be utilized for more than two magazines.
    ... flashlight? ... knife? ... pointy sticks? ...
    That's a lot of real estate to use for just two mags, it seems.
    (And I need more crap in the beltline anyway, I've shrunk to the last belt-hole even with a bigger gun in there ... it seems that being more active and portion control have made my pants/belt bigger)
    DON'T PANIC

Blackhawk makes an adjustable carbon fiber rig.
    When the going gets tough the tough get cyclic!
    "The Constitution is a restraining order against the federal government. I'm not going to say a word about the effectiveness of restraining orders against criminals." Standing Wolf

What about something like this, but with the belt over it to keep it in tight?
    If you straddle a belt loop, you probably don't need it behind the belt.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

That would depend on the comfy spot.
    Why are so many carriers set up to spread the mags like that? I've been picturing a slight forward angle on both, or both vertical … it seems like the rear magazine would be really awkward to retrieve from a rear-canted magazine slot.
    DON'T PANIC

Not a lot to add...

but that ain't ever stopped me yet!

Can't help you on IWB, but I recently had/compared double OWB carriers from DeSantis, Galco, and High Noon Holsters-I'm going strictly with DeSantis (returned the others).

The Galco and High Noon mag pockets were both made with one piece of leather, which is overlapped at the attachment point at the rear. You can see they knew they had to make allowances for this as the leather is 'bout half the thickness at the attachment point (where they overlap), but the individual mag pockets cannot be adjusted for equal tension on both mags-you can eyeball 'em and see a difference in mag pocket size.
    The DeSantis is made with 2 pieces of leather sewn on both edges-this ensures the mag pockets are the same size, and you can use the adjustment screws to get equal tension on both mags. The DeSantis is also more "form fitted" than either Galco or High Noon, and as such give a more snug fit and it's smaller.

Just checked some pics at Galco's site-looks like not all their carries are made like this-I saw one that had rivets on both sides attaching the front/rear leather (clip-on). All mine are/were snap-on type.

Mebbe this will help if you go OWB, and give you something to check if you go IWB? Wouldn't hurt to check the mag pockets to make sure construction allows pockets to be the same size!
    It only becomes class warfare when the working class decides to fight back.
    When they don't, it simply becomes a case of economic genocide.
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member

OK, I saw this one a while back on the "other" THR, a half hour of digging through old posts got me the link.

So, anyone know anything about this model from Tucker?

http://rlcompanyusa.stores.yahoo.net/iwbdomagpo.html

There's a 3-month wait, and the price is on the high side for an unknown maker/product, so I'd really appreciate any input. I may start a new thread if this doesn't get any response, with a 3-month wait I might as well get all the opinions I can.

This model is a bit over the top, but I'll include it as a PSA for anyone who needs a magazine full of magazines ... just click on the link if you're interested or confused, it will at least yield a smile!
    Spring Loaded Mag Carrier
    DON'T PANIC

Two days and NOBODY has an opinion on the Tucker model?

What about the SLMC linked above?
    DON'T PANIC

Well, I ended up ordering the Tucker two-mag carrier after getting completely fed up with my current extra magazine options for 1911.

Since nobody has ever seen one of these in person, I suppose I'll do a mini-review with pictures here and/or in the "rate retail transactions" forum after it shows up.
    DON'T PANIC