Thread: 17 hmr?

17 hmr?

What does the abbreviations hmr stand for, regarding the .17 hmr?

Hornady Magnum Rimfire. It's a good little round, I've got a Savage 93 in that caliber, and it's a tackdriver out to 100 yards or so.
    I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
    Yes, I am a Pro-Gun Democrat, but with a strong streak of libertarianism.
    Proud native of New Hampshire. Live free or Die!

List of rifle cartridges
    List of handgun cartridges

I know, I know. You're thinking "Wikipedia!?!?!" But it is a good little resource for little questions like that. I wouldn't trust it for O.A.L. of a cartridge of but for little stuff it is good. It is also peer reviewed and you know us gun nuts aren't going to let factually incorrect information last long on a peer reviewed website
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." --Robert Heinlein

"Someone tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Malcolm Reynolds

My sons each have one. Mossberg in one case, Savage in the other. They both have excellent accuracy, according to the offspring.

I shot the Savage at the Trigger Time indoor 100 yard range about a month ago and I thought it was pretty sweet, but I was not used to the gun, so my groups were a little off. It could have been the wind at that indoor range, though.

The cartridge, compared to .22 Magnum:

The Savage Rifle (Note the Accu-Trigger --very nice!):

Terry, 230RN

PIC CREDITS:
    Cartridges: Copyrighted, credit in pic. I am using this as the best pic I could find of the two compared under the Fair Use Doctrine for educational purposes. If the copyright owner objects, I will remove it with apologies.
    Rifle: My son's pic and if he objects I'll take him out of my will and he'll never get that $38.26 I am bequeathing to him.
    Trouble is, these jerkwads can pass dumb, self-serving, agenda-driven stupid laws much faster than we can beat them down in the courts. And they're well aware of that.