Thread: 17 hmr?

17 hmr?

What does the abbreviations hmr stand for, regarding the .17 hmr?

Hornady Magnum Rimfire. It's a good little round, I've got a Savage 93 in that caliber, and it's a tackdriver out to 100 yards or so.
    I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
    Yes, I am a Pro-Gun Democrat, but with a strong streak of libertarianism.
    Proud native of New Hampshire. Live free or Die!

List of rifle cartridges
    List of handgun cartridges

I know, I know. You're thinking "Wikipedia!?!?!" But it is a good little resource for little questions like that. I wouldn't trust it for O.A.L. of a cartridge of but for little stuff it is good. It is also peer reviewed and you know us gun nuts aren't going to let factually incorrect information last long on a peer reviewed website
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." --Robert Heinlein

"Someone tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Malcolm Reynolds

My sons each have one. Mossberg in one case, Savage in the other. They both have excellent accuracy, according to the offspring.

I shot the Savage at the Trigger Time indoor 100 yard range about a month ago and I thought it was pretty sweet, but I was not used to the gun, so my groups were a little off. It could have been the wind at that indoor range, though.

The cartridge, compared to .22 Magnum:

The Savage Rifle (Note the Accu-Trigger --very nice!):

Terry, 230RN

Cartridges: Copyrighted, credit in pic. I am using this as the best pic I could find of the two compared under the Fair Use Doctrine for educational purposes. If the copyright owner objects, I will remove it with apologies.
    Rifle: My son's pic and if he objects I'll take him out of my will and he'll never get that $38.26 I am bequeathing to him.
    "Gun control is not about public safety, crime reduction, or 'the children.' Gun control is about power. The people have it, and the government would rather they didn't." (An internet poster, not myself.)