Thread: Marlin model 880 ?

Marlin model 880 ?

Anyone has experience with this one?

One just showed up in my local store, looks very good condition, and the asking price is 250 (with a red-dot on it). I like the idea of a bolt (don't own one yet) and a .22LR is a good caliber for target shooting. The rifle has micro-groove barrel, not the later ballard type.

Thanks

$0.02

henry,
    i have an 882 marlin, same basic gun in .22 mag
    if the .22 lr is as accurate as the mag you should be very pleased.
    not sure about the red dot, mine has a 3x9 redfied on it.
    the micro grove should not be a problem in .22, just clean it after shooting & it will stay accurate.
    "A good plan executed violently today beats a perfect plan executed next week."

Thanks.

Well, I ended up buying a new model 925 instead. Looking over the two, the only difference (and please correct me if I'm wrong) is that the 880 still has a walnut stock, and the 925 has a walnut finished birch stock. The walnut is more valuable, but...
    The 925 is new and the store put a little 3-9x32 Bushnell scope on it. Nothing special, but will do for what I need, that is, 100-150 yards target shooting. The 880 looked a little better (the stock) but with unknown round count, maintenance history,and a final price of $260 with a red-dot (which I found useless since it could not be mounted on anything else but a rimfire grooved receiver), the only thing going for it was the 5 magazines.
    I ended up paying $199 for the 925 and $50 for the scope. I have two 7 rounds mags for it. Tomorrow I'll try to play with sighting in, and hopefully it will shoot as well as my other Marlins.
    This being my first bolt, I'll have to get used to it, but it feels good in the hand.

The store also had a used Browning T-bolt, but for a $100 more, I could not see the benefit. Plus, the bolt action felt more like cocking a semi-auto than a traditional bolt.

I own a 880 sq and it is a tack driver for a 22. I have a cheap 3 x 9 x 40 simmons on mine and it shoots great. I think these were designed as squirrel guns as they have the heavy bull barrel.

henrymartin,

How did that 925 work out for ya? I just put a used 880 ss on lay-a-way from the local pusher for $150.
    Smee781

We know exactly where one cow with Mad-cow-disease is located among the millions and millions of cows in America, but we haven't got a clue as to where thousands of illegal immigrants and terrorists are located.

Maybe we should put the Department of Agriculture in charge of immigration.